Active Topics

I got your point... I probably got a little emotional, but as Kevven mentioned before, a lot of people in the thread simply attacked and insulted the author with the now classical "it's not a freaking phone, it's a tablet, get over it or sell it out" and I don't think that's the best way either.

Reffer him to other threads, give him tips... but not that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r0be11 For This Useful Post:
I love my n900.

But,

...a little bit more work on it's phone capability would have gone a long way.... really...

and it is...

really...

sold as a...

phone

a very clever phone

but a phone

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
1. (...) I just get a missed call yellow notification

2. (...) Just get missed call notification.

3. (...) I dare not close the keyboard (...) the call has gone to voice mail.

4. (...) often left with a blank screen and a ringing phone.

5. (...) the button just freezes up.
Some of you guys should seriously be ashamed at your apple class responses in this thread. As in a "am I a bad person" kind of ashamed.

I can confirm each of the five first issues off hand, and if you were not so hostile, you would do the same. It's really just five facets of the same one issue, as someone already mentioned in this thread.

1) If the CPU is at 100%, sound notifications is delayed, and the led will blink several long seconds before a sound is played. This is a known problem that I have seen in several threads here. I have experienced this numerous times.

2) If the CPU is at 100%, first notifications, then graphics, then button response will be delayed. A couple of seconds of each, and voice mail WILL kick in. I have experienced this myself a few times.

3) If the CPU is at 100%, changing screen orientation will take several seconds, sometimes even more.

4) If the CPU is at 100%, drawing up any program can take time and the screen may be left blank. When the phone rings, the phone GUI will be drawn up, and is dependent on free CPU cycles.

5) If the CPU is at 100%, the GUI will be sluggish.

In addition to experiencing all of these problems on my N900, I have also experienced them or similar on each of my PCs with single core CPUs. How bad each of them is, depends on the OS design and priorities. I.e. will some OSs prioritize response to I/O a bit too low, and it stops reading the keyboard or mouse, while others may prioritize GUI a bit too low and you may experience graphical glitches.

For what is clearly a communication centered device, the ability to reply to communication instantly should be a priority. When OP receive a phone call, other tasks like watching a video, should drop in priority. Much like a VOIP router will prioritize an incoming call over a bittorrent download, a communication device should prioritize communication over applications. Since it's a matter of priorities, someone has to code how priorities are set. If it was coded differently, the original poster would not have experienced these issues.

His phone is not broken. He is merely experiencing the downsides of multitasking on a single core processor. Any of you would have seen that if you bothered to actually read what he said, instead of looking for attack angles.

Kudos to whoever bothered to read the post enough to notice the original poster probably had CPU priority issues. There's actual advice that could have been given here, that might have helped him with his problems.

The OP should check if any applet or process is using more CPU than it should be. I know I have read reports on some applets that drain the CPU and battery time. That's worth looking into.

And one more thing, bashers. As I have "documented" earlier, the N900 is not a tablet. It is a mobile computer. If you're going to use that ridiculous excuse for every weakness in the N900 phone part, at least get that part right.

Last edited by volt; 2010-04-09 at 15:02.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kevven View Post
wow. I just read through the whole thread. And wow is the only word that can describe my feelings after reading this..

A community should be about helping, suppurting and discussing subjects. So the starter of this thread is clearly looking for all of the above.

But instead he is met with hostile comments like get the **** out of this forum, and by an iphone, sell you device etc.

Now the answers should be something like: " you should probably let Nokia fix that for you" or " have you tried this or maybe this" or even " sorry that you have had such bad luck with your device, mine is working flawlessly in the points you mention".

Just my two cents...
I really do like where you are coming from with this post, but I can see why people reacted the way they did. Have you noticed apart from the OP, their two responses were:

Yeah I came in and saw the typical fan boy responses I was expecting to see. Predicted most of them really. The dumbest of course is that it is not a phone. So because its primary function is not a phone it should be 50-50 whether I am able to receive calls on the device I paid over $600 for? It is the same ridiculous response people give when people complain about the media player. Surprising that Nokia included 32gb and micro SD card if it was not intended for media.

And someone sensibly suggested I have my phone set up to go to voicemail after 5 seconds. That is not the case. I don't even see such an option. It is either 20 seconds or nothing on mine. And that would still not explain why it goes straight to missed call without ringing everytime I am playing video and sometimes when I am not.
Yeah I was looking for who to give the award of dumbest and most typical fanboy response and I am very very proud to announce that you are the winner of this award. Congratulations. I am only up to page 4 or so but I have no doubt that nothing to come is going to take the award away from you.
I might have missed a response from them, but it seemed to me that others were the ones trying to interpret the opening post in the most positive way as possible rather then the poster trying to explain their position.

Originally Posted by r0be11 View Post
I got your point... I probably got a little emotional, but as Kevven mentioned before, a lot of people in the thread simply attacked and insulted the author with the now classical "it's not a freaking phone, it's a tablet, get over it or sell it out" and I don't think that's the best way either.

Reffer him to other threads, give him tips... but not that.
Fair points I think I was in my soapbox warrior mode....

Last edited by mahousaru; 2010-04-09 at 15:14. Reason: Missed a paragraph....

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
Lol just when you think this forum can't get any worse you find threads like these. It's like a trainwreck I can't seem to help myself though, I get sucked in every time to see which are fanboys fanning the flames.

What I miss most about this forum is the positive attitude, there was a time when both complaints and praise was delivered in a level headed controlled manner. Instead 'chatty' threads like this are delivered in the most inflammatory way in order to garner thread views and people react emotionally to them.

I wish there was a way to bring that era back when a simple 'Phone portion of my N900 is not operating to expectation' might possibly have been the thread title and the community would have stepped in to try and help the poster achieve expectations. Oh well...
i totally agree. I am losing my faith about things getting back to better more and more, day by day
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
I remember qole saying that the n900 would be the cause of much infighting at Nokia. That's what this thread reminds me of: People that understand the n900, and people that don't. I really don't care how you think Nokia marketed this device, as a relative insider, it was so obvious to me that the n900 was going to be wrong for most people that weren't already Maemo heads.

This is the bleeding edge, some of you need to patch up and move on. Life is too short.

i agree wholeheartedly with OP.
having had an N800 for 3 years, i knew what i was getting into, and looked forward to the N900. people that say "do your homework" or "read up reviews" don't seem to understand, a lot of these nitpicks weren't unconvered in ANY reviews. phone call comes in, i tap on the green "pick up" button, sometimes i pick up the call, sometimes i don't. it's a crap shoot. if you have too many applications open, you don't get a ringtone when a call comes in (or when an SMS comes in). i mean, come on, these are bugs.

The Following User Says Thank You to jobber99 For This Useful Post:
Maybe Nokia need to try out the Brain **** Scheduler.

Something definitely needs to be done to give more priority to UI updates and interaction as when something eats the CPU the UI becomes a complete dog.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
Lol just when you think this forum can't get any worse you find threads like these. It's like a trainwreck I can't seem to help myself though, I get sucked in every time to see which are fanboys fanning the flames.

What I miss most about this forum is the positive attitude, there was a time when both complaints and praise was delivered in a level headed controlled manner. Instead 'chatty' threads like this are delivered in the most inflammatory way in order to garner thread views and people react emotionally to them.

I wish there was a way to bring that era back when a simple 'Phone portion of my N900 is not operating to expectation' might possibly have been the thread title and the community would have stepped in to try and help the poster achieve expectations. Oh well...
THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I WROTE MY POST ON THE N900, but was unfortunately completely misinterpreted.

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
I dont miss call when looking at movies. I actually have to put the phone in offline mode so I dont have to move and take care of the call. It seems your device is broken or you have bad service where you live at. The phone is NICE! Quit hatin'!

Tags
kill the infidels, n900 != phone, troll thread, unproductive thread, worst thread ever