Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Nepotomus View Post
Dave, I would say the integrated hardware is a must have. IMO this is one of the only things giving the N900 a chance against iphone. Expandable memory and open source being the others...did I mention free apps, or does open source imply such?
Let me say, I agree with you regarding the hardware (by which I assume you mean the integrated keyboard). That's why my two non-desktop devices are the N810 and the OQO.

However some people find that a pure slate is sufficient for their needs. It all depends on your usage.

As far as free apps, there are priced (and closed source) apps for open source systems and free (open and closed source) apps for closed source systems. It all depends on who is willing to write and give away code.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
No, not really.

I dont have anything as far as devices to add only that I too am feeling the same and so far despite extensive looking have yet to find something, it really comes down to the lack of keyboard on competitors.

Come on Nokia you still have time to get back in the tablet game!

The Following User Says Thank You to RichS For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Nepotomus View Post
I would think if you are looking for a N810, you would have to limit the cost to what N810's are currently going for?

I.E - I can't see paying 5 bills for the ViiV S5!!!

I'll take a larger Dell refurbed Eseries screamer machine for that price. What people are paying for the N900 is crazy, IMO.

Have you tried Mer? I'm close to being a fanboy of mer, if they can get the Ubuntu apps integrated correctly (and I don't mind some command line instructions), I can see me keeping my N810 active until the N900 comes down under two hondo, refurbed or used. I want NO cell contract, Net10 serves me fine there...

Also, somebody needs to list what Ubuntu apps work smoothly on the N810. Personally, I think the N810 has enough power, but lacks efficient software.

Maybe my 2 cents is actually worth .2 cents....
naw, 5 cents in my book.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Hi! Good to see you hear, bun!
Me 2.

bun

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Nicholasville, Kentucky, USA
Take a gander at the sony omnia pro. And try going to umpcportal.com And use their search engine. You can filter it to suit your exact needs. (Wifi, keyboard, weight...)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hitchhikertogalaxy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by hitchhikertogalaxy View Post
try going to umpcportal.com
UMPCPortal is a great resource. The two things lacking from their product compilation is whether the product is currently being produced (e.g. the N810 shows as "available" which is technically true but "no longer in production" would be more useful) and the estimated price (which would, admittedly, be difficult since they cover devices from just past the rumor stage through end of life).

Looking for 4 to 5 inch screens, under 300 grams, with a keyboard and Wi-Fi, there are three devices - the N810, the 2007 era Sharp EM One, and the announced but not yet shipping (that I can tell) Samsung Mondi. You might take a look at the reviews for the latter.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
I second the UMPCportal as a good resource. What a history lesson that website is!

I guess I didn't realize the Q5 was so cheap, as far as retail goes. I'm heading to the Philippines next month, anybody know what I might find at electronics retailers there? I'm thinking there has to be some N810 alternatives, but I'm not sure if all of these Japan sourced devices will be available there. I'd like to bring something back for the wife (cautiously awaiting comments now).

Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
Looking for 4 to 5 inch screens, under 300 grams, with a keyboard and Wi-Fi, there are three devices - the N810, the 2007 era Sharp EM One, and the announced but not yet shipping (that I can tell) Samsung Mondi. You might take a look at the reviews for the latter.
OoOo That Mondo looks pretty interesting. Its got some pretty good specs. If the microUSB supports OTG, that could win my heart over. Too bad it is going to be marketed as a phone (ie. expensive contract).

have a look at the htc advantage