I have a N810 and love it but I was wondering if there is anything else on the market that is similar. The N810 is great but I just wish for some more up to date hardware. It seems like all of the cool gadgets coming out now are all geared for the smartphone market. I don't want a phone, just an internet tablet.

The Following User Says Thank You to cheetos316 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
SmartQ devices ?

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Bolt a netbook to your skull?

The Following User Says Thank You to Hogwash For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by cheetos316 View Post
I have a N810 and love it but I was wondering if there is anything else on the market that is similar. The N810 is great but I just wish for some more up to date hardware. It seems like all of the cool gadgets coming out now are all geared for the smartphone market. I don't want a phone, just an internet tablet.

Keep your eyes on Pandora
Although its not really a tablet.. And it may never ship?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Viliv S5...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post

Keep your eyes on Pandora
Although its not really a tablet.. And it may never ship?
current status.... , not even FCC testing, does not quench my thirsty fast enough

bun

I would think if you are looking for a N810, you would have to limit the cost to what N810's are currently going for?

I.E - I can't see paying 5 bills for the ViiV S5!!!

I'll take a larger Dell refurbed Eseries screamer machine for that price. What people are paying for the N900 is crazy, IMO.

Have you tried Mer? I'm close to being a fanboy of mer, if they can get the Ubuntu apps integrated correctly (and I don't mind some command line instructions), I can see me keeping my N810 active until the N900 comes down under two hondo, refurbed or used. I want NO cell contract, Net10 serves me fine there...

Also, somebody needs to list what Ubuntu apps work smoothly on the N810. Personally, I think the N810 has enough power, but lacks efficient software.

Maybe my 2 cents is actually worth .2 cents....

The Following User Says Thank You to Nepotomus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Archos 5 is the closest as far as capabilities. The major problem is the lack of a keyboard. The Viliv is expensive because it is the next step up - a full Windows (or Linux) PC that fits in your pocket. It competes (at the moment) with the UMID M1 (and the OQO of blessed memory).

A review of the Archos:

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/10/ar...ressions-long/

Last edited by DaveP1; 2009-10-05 at 17:41. Reason: Added link

Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
Archos 5 is the closest as far as capabilities. The major problem is the lack of a keyboard. The Viliv is expensive because it is the next step up - a full Windows (or Linux) PC that fits in your pocket. It competes (at the moment) with the UMID M1 (and the OQO of blessed memory).
Dave, I would say the integrated hardware is a must have. IMO this is one of the only things giving the N900 a chance against iphone. Expandable memory and open source being the others...did I mention free apps, or does open source imply such?

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
current status.... , not even FCC testing, does not quench my thirsty fast enough

bun
Hi! Good to see you hear, bun!

Umm, Edit: That should be "here," not "hear."

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-10-06 at 00:07.