Active Topics

Originally Posted by richardyates View Post
Yes I saw that. I *can* do command line, but I'd really prefer not to have to as I'm now hugely behind with work due to an excursion to Finland:-)
Unfortunately until someone figures out how to support itunes (or some kind of fake mass-storage) on the device, I guess you will have to bug Apple to support common protocols. And especially ask them not to break things like the existing 3rd party mtp apps.

You could still try this : http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

I know it says android file transfer, but it actually is an mtp app as Android these days has dropped mass-storage too. But I have been told the latest OS X update broke it. (I cannot tested it since I do not run/have broken-by-design software/hardware)

Otoh you could run an ftp/http server on the device and access things like that. At least http and ftp is something that Apple will not break.

Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
Tweetian Beta for Jolla is out. Looking forward to its release.
Why... but why... QNeptunea would have been better....

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Arctic Circle
Originally Posted by att View Post
Go to Gallery app. Select Ambience. Select an ambience and tap star to fill it and then tap save (or go forward by pulling to the left).
Doesn't help. The OH Ambiances (even if shown in My apps) aren't shown in Gallery or Ambiance view. They are in the device and packages are installed (confirmed with pkcon in bash shell), but not functional. Tried sevaral times uninstalling, rebooting and in different WiFi networks.

Only thing I haven't tried is reseting then device and starting from factory set up. Don't see how that would help cause I've only anabled dev mode, but done nothing expect browsin the system with pkcon, pkmon, etc..

Also getting OH's to be recoginzed always requires many reboots, taking them out, plugging again, and even removing battery also.. but still they (SnowWhite and TheFirstOne) can't be used as Ambiances.

Originally Posted by jjaone View Post
Also not for the FB. The whole notification / feed UI is incomplete compared to #N9, where they were all compiled to one screen.. and where each the notifications where active elements from which you could get to the "content" directly. The Twitter feed that is accessable from the Notifications view shows only 10 latest tweets.
I think the Event Feed was one of the real killer features of the N9 (and I am unhappy neither Identi.ca/pump.io works anymore, nor instago ever), so if that would work similar in Jolla, I might consider getting one.

I returned two Nexus 4 cause they had no Event Feed, and I don't like how I have to switch around through apps in my Nexus 7...

Last edited by mbanck; 2013-12-05 at 17:35. Reason: typo

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mbanck For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think that this can be fixed. Where would they put the content to be visible without making the whole UI crowded with messages from FB, Twitter etc.? This is a weakness of the "one vertical home screen". In N9 Nokia could allow the apps to put a lot of content to events screen because user could just swipe left or right (to go to app launcher or open apps). Jolla on the other can't let the notification screen to have a lot of content because user would always need to vertically go over all the posts before getting to open apps and app launcher.

Or am I getting this wrong? Does anyone have any ideas how to make Sailfish notifications at least as good as N9 ones?
It wouldn't clutter whole UI. If the Feeds view is used (and Twitter is already parttially there working this way, only limited) and there are many items in the screen, it can be scrollable like email view. And you can always pull left or right to access the Multitasking screen and get to launch other apps. So no need to scroll all the way down (look how Twitter feed is already implemented).

Also Notifications telling e.g. "3 Twitter mentions" can already be tapped, but they don't open Twitter client but browser. (a native app handling these streams would be optimial, but Tweetian type client is ok, too)

The same interactivity should be on the Home screen too, now it just shows practically the same info that is in the Feeds view, but without no way to interact whit those items.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjaone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jjaone View Post
Doesn't help. The OH Ambiances (even if shown in My apps) aren't shown in Gallery or Ambiance view. They are in the device and packages are installed (confirmed with pkcon in bash shell), but not functional. Tried sevaral times uninstalling, rebooting and in different WiFi networks.

Only thing I haven't tried is reseting then device and starting from factory set up. Don't see how that would help cause I've only anabled dev mode, but done nothing expect browsin the system with pkcon, pkmon, etc..

Also getting OH's to be recoginzed always requires many reboots, taking them out, plugging again, and even removing battery also.. but still they (SnowWhite and TheFirstOne) can't be used as Ambiances.
Hmm, maybe you have a hardware issue? Either NFC chip or its antena is broken or the metal leaf switch at the hole (rear right, small hole below a screw, next to the battery) is not working properly.

The Following User Says Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
looking at the ambience feature more indepth is seems ambience is simply more than a theme, but rather a phone profile and that theme is part of that profile.
Yes, thats's how I see it, too. For example, Ambiance enables to setup sound profile alreaydy, and hopefully other stuff later..

I was refering to Feed screen mostly, it's fucntionality isn't yet as good as it could be. Also th,e screen where it's told "something has happened", could support some interactive elements, too. Maybe the Calendar alarms, missed calls, and messages etc. should go there. Can't test all these yet cause I have no SIM card in the phone and Calendar sync doesn'ẗ work for Google / CalDav accs.

The Following User Says Thank You to jjaone For This Useful Post:
As WooT says the notifications is on another window. i don't see why that could have a similar feed to the N9 with message and email notifications where they currently are. Given the real estate free on that page I half expect it to be that way in the near future. The current twitter native feed looks like a proof of concept that could well be expanded.
Yes, that's what I was thinking. It's only now limited in that the Twitter and FB (and other feed sources like RSS etc) don't work or only partially. Tapping a feed item should open a relavant app, in relevant position and let user to interact with it. Opening them in browser or web view is not sufficient. Optimially if I have two Twitter clients, it should be possible to specify in settings the app in which I want the content to be opened.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjaone For This Useful Post:
Tweetian Beta for Jolla is out. Looking forward to its release.
Yes I tried it few days ago and it's nice and very promising. Waiting it to get feature complete and hoping it gets integrated to Feeds screen as an optional choice for diving in to Twitter stream, Unless there is going to be more system-spesific native solution to make Notifications and Feeds more interactive

The Following User Says Thank You to jjaone For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience