Active Topics

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Arctic Circle
Originally Posted by att View Post
Don't know about facebook, but no n9 like for twitter, at least as default.
Also not for the FB. The whole notification / feed UI is incomplete compared to #N9, where they were all compiled to one screen.. and where each the notifications where active elements from which you could get to the "content" directly. The Twitter feed that is accessable from the Notifications view shows only 10 latest tweets. And interaction with those is nowhere close to being comparable to Tweetian or QNeptunua in N9.

I hope the future updates of OS fix these issues. Atleast Tweetian port is at works to become availble to Harbour, soon

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjaone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kollin View Post
We should stop comparing jolla with n9! It's a different phone with different OS and completely different UX paradigm.

P.S. And n9 is already a zombie .
Of course it's ok to compare Jolla to N9, especially if N9 happens to be the phone you have been using for the last two years And now finally get it replaced with a new one. The comparisons makes a lot of sense, because however DOA N9 was and made sure by Nokia that it won't have a future. it still had most anything one would need to have in a smart-phone. And it performed well enough for my needs at least.

In regards to the UX the paradigms (in SailfishOS and Meego) are not that far from each other. Some things Jolla has taken further and implemented them better and UI with Swipes and gestures is very fluid and easy to use. At least looking it from Meego/Harmattan world.

Many features that were implemented well in N9 are nice to have in Jolla too. Of course, Jolla is different and modern beast, and I'm not wanting it to be "just another Meego", but, instead, a new smart-phone with its own identity and nature, both of which it definately has.

After using Jolla for week now (queur #39), I must say that it is better than I expected in many ways. But it's clear that the fortth-coming frequent updates in SailfishOS are needed to complete the device feature-wise. In order of importance IMHO it needs to have:
1. Simpler and more interactive UI for Feeds / Notifications with Calendar and social media services (some things from N9 design could be "ported")
2. External calendar sync and managment with contacs and emails when using e.g. Google acc, CalDav, CardDav or .ics
3. Landscape mode to the whole native UI (and apps)
4.Maps offiline usablity with turn-by-turn voice navigation (N9 had this, but only for car)
5. Qwerty + extra battery OH.

Cheers..

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jjaone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Miharin View Post
So Google Calendar works if you add your google account? Even if Jolla doesn't support CalDAV? I can't wait to get my Jolla. Not that I can't live with my N9, but I do want something new and exciting.
No it doesn't. I have a Google acc setup but no calendar(s) do appear in Jolla Calendar app.

Last edited by jjaone; 2013-12-05 at 12:58. Reason: Fixed a typo

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Can anyone please verify whether idle XMPP usage (just being on-line) drains battery excessively or not? Preferably, use any server besides Google's. For a test it's enough to keep the status on-line all the time and see see how it affects the battery life.

Also, does Jitsi for Android work for XMPP/Jingle video/audio calls?
No exact figures, but my experience is that IM eats battery at rate of 5 to 10 percent per hour, if the phone is otherwise idling (night). However I have both Google and plain XMPP (OpenFire server) online at the same time, and using 3gdata too.

I'll do a test next night with just good wifi and plain xmpp server, but so far IM online battery usage seems to be on the level of N9. Eg. not too good, and you'll be struggling to get through the whole day if you keep fiddling a lot with your phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jjaone View Post
Also not for the FB. The whole notification / feed UI is incomplete compared to #N9, where they were all compiled to one screen.. and where each the notifications where active elements from which you could get to the "content" directly.
Unfortunately, I don't think that this can be fixed. Where would they put the content to be visible without making the whole UI crowded with messages from FB, Twitter etc.? This is a weakness of the "one vertical home screen". In N9 Nokia could allow the apps to put a lot of content to events screen because user could just swipe left or right (to go to app launcher or open apps). Jolla on the other can't let the notification screen to have a lot of content because user would always need to vertically go over all the posts before getting to open apps and app launcher.

Or am I getting this wrong? Does anyone have any ideas how to make Sailfish notifications at least as good as N9 ones?

looking at the ambience feature more indepth is seems ambience is simply more than a theme, but rather a phone profile and that theme is part of that profile.

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think that this can be fixed. Where would they put the content to be visible without making the whole UI crowded with messages from FB, Twitter etc.?
The events feed is on a seperate window. The icons on the lockscreen are just an indication that something has happened - to view the actual content, you need to open the events view by swiping up from the bottom of the device.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I was wondering how Sailfish OS compares with the Ubuntu OS that, as I understand, was working on the Nexus? Seems that, barring anymore progress with Tizen, that Ubuntu would be Sailfish's biggest competitor.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
Or am I getting this wrong? Does anyone have any ideas how to make Sailfish notifications at least as good as N9 ones?
As WooT says the notifications is on another window. i don't see why that could have a similar feed to the N9 with message and email notifications where they currently are. Given the real estate free on that page I half expect it to be that way in the near future. The current twitter native feed looks like a proof of concept that could well be expanded.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Tweetian Beta for Jolla is out. Looking forward to its release.

Last edited by bockersjv; 2013-12-05 at 14:12.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience