Originally Posted by luca View Post
I waited a while to report this since I don't use my tablet that much but I think (and I may be wrong) that the SSU reduces battery life.
That's the 3rd such report so far if I'm counting correctly :-(

I have to say that I never had great battery life with my n800: when it was new I got max. 2 hours of use, now, with a non OEM battery, I have around one hour.
That sounds rather bad :-( I did get more than the advertised 3.5 hours for a long time while the battery was relatively new.

Top doesn't reveal any evident cpu hog
What does htop (from the tools repo) show if you sort on the TIME+ column?

Of course it could be that the battery has deteriorated further, but the drop in capacity happened right after installing the SSU.
Does the battery level drop gradually or is there a sudden drop to near-zero? The latter would indicate a worn-out battery.

I don't think any of the "userland" packages would have an effect on battery life, so if there is a problem it's probably on the kernel or X server. Do you feel like downgrading to the Nokia versions (kernel-diablo-flasher=2.6.21-200842maemo1 & xserver-xomap=1:1.3.99.0~git20070321-0osso20083801, note that this will uninstall osso-software-version so you'll have to re-install it manually after testing) and comparing battery life?

Originally Posted by xircon View Post
I couldn't get the .install package to download when I used the microb browser to go to the URL. I had to download it onto the windows computer then send it via bluetooth to the N810. Long way around but it works.
.install files are not packages. When you click on such a file in microB, choose 'open', and the application manger will open and ask you if you wish to download and install the actual package.

I had time to backup install some new things including the Community SSU. No problems at all, nice work! Thank you. If I wanted to request an applet to be made where is the best place for that? I would love to have a terminal applet that was a lot like Yellow Notes for quick tasks rather than keeping one open in the BG.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Does the battery level drop gradually or is there a sudden drop to near-zero? The latter would indicate a worn-out battery.
Yes that's probably it, it goes suddenly to "replace battery".

I don't think any of the "userland" packages would have an effect on battery life, so if there is a problem it's probably on the kernel or X server. Do you feel like downgrading to the Nokia versions (kernel-diablo-flasher=2.6.21-200842maemo1 & xserver-xomap=1:1.3.99.0~git20070321-0osso20083801, note that this will uninstall osso-software-version so you'll have to re-install it manually after testing) and comparing battery life?
I'll see if I can try it

That's the 3rd such report so far if I'm counting correctly :-(
Haven't gotten around to installing the SSU since being kicked off of my SD-boot (which had the SSU installed), and as the 2nd battery complainer, I must say that the battery is again giving me the expected results . On my SD boot, after installing the SSU, I noticed my battery having some trouble lasting through the day with fairly light usage (for the first time in months, my battery had actually died). After what my n810 has been through today (quite a bit of browsing, and, oddly enough, some netbeans usage), I can say with some confidence that the battery is fine, so it must have been something else to have caused the battery drain (the SSU or telescope are the main suspects, but it could be a number of things).

Once I finally get my SD-boot back up and running, I'd be willing to run tests before and after installing the SSU on the internal flash to see if it has significant effects on idle-usage so we can finally settle this

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Ima, I'll be honest with you. After the SSU, the biggest drain for me was indeed the metalayer-crawler. I mean, it just pegged the CPU in a way that I couldn't recall it had ever done before. Even before non-SSU levels, it was draining the battery rather rapidly.

I haven't experienced any real difference in power drain. Though, metalayer-crawler was never running for me, even after I installed the SSU.

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
If anything I felt my battery life improved after installing the SSU.
Alas I don't have any metrics to prove this - just an impression that it seemed to last longer.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
No indication of battey drain here.

I am seeing this on dmesg:

cx3110x: WARNING prism_softmac_frame_tx_done() returned an empty frame.

I don't remember having this before. The connection itself is fine, there is no problem with browsing or with Transmission. Can someone please look into his dmesg with/without Transmission ?

Tags
backintime, diablo cssu, diablo turbo