Posts: 86 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Moscow
Originally Posted by turist View Post
Hi all!

I've just installed Maemo toochain and the first application to test of course was stardict(I like it very much).
I've uploaded two .deb-packages there:
http://gonzo.kiev.ua/n800/turist/

There are some bugs like systray icon not disappearing after application is closed, but as dictionary it's still great.
And it seems that it's quite more CPU consuming than previous version for OS2007
Sorry, what is toochain? Does this version requires qt installed?

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Rotterdam, Netherlands
Originally Posted by sashabe View Post
Sorry, what is toochain? Does this version requires qt installed?
Toolchain is the other name for SDK tool kit with cross-compiler and other stuff.

No, it does not require Qt, it's the same old StarDict, but only compiled for OS2008. I'll fix some minor icon bugs, but it works alread now. You can look at screenshot there - http://antimirov.blogspot.com/2008/0...it-os2008.html

Last edited by turist; 2008-02-21 at 00:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to turist For This Useful Post:
OK, I've already installed it Thanks, it's the most wanted app for me in Maemo after browser, and i'm impressed that even floating window works) Thanks again. And for a half-an-hour of working it seems quite stable.
The only question now is how to specify custom path for dictionaries on memory cards; it's urgent need for N810, because it's internal memory is only 256 Mb and it's already mostly filled up with applications and system files. Would appreciate any help.

Last edited by sashabe; 2008-02-21 at 00:28.

Just follow the instructions from their website - http://stardictformaemo.googlepages.com/
"# Put the dictionary files into one of the following directories:

* /media/mmc1/stardict/dic
* /media/mmc2/stardict/dic (N800 only)
* /usr/share/stardict/dic
* ~/.stardict/dic "

So you are not tied to one place to put your dictionaries. I put it on my 16Gb internal SD card so it even does not bother me with my ~40Mb dictionary folder.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turist For This Useful Post:
Didn't know that. Figured out that soft link could be used if you want to place dictionaries in some custom folder:
Code:
ln -s [path-to-folder-where-you-want-dictionaries] [path-to-link-file]
Like this:
Code:
ln -s /media/mmc1/dics/ /usr/share/stardict/dic/mmc-link
Stardict sees through this link without a problem.
But anyway, thanks. Looking forward for new releases)

BTW, I've made .install file for stardict port and it's now downloadable in a single click from maemo's site - http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/stardict/

I cannot launch Stardict on my n810. It starts loading and then disappears. Can you tell me why it behaves so?

Last edited by samoyan; 2009-02-04 at 01:37.

Originally Posted by samoyan View Post
I cannot launch Stardict on my n810. It starts loading and then disappears. Can you tell me why it behaves so?
The problem was with dictionary folder; it was too big ~ 600 mb

Last edited by samoyan; 2009-02-12 at 14:43.

The problem was with dictionary folder; it was to big ~ 600 mb
It's strange, I thought that 600mb was not a limit, some people use even more. Could you please run Stardict from console to check the error output? Just in case

please remove the cache file and disable the cache setting in preference of stardict. These files was named as *.oft under same dict directory generated by stardict for speed start up.

The Following User Says Thank You to Handspring For This Useful Post: