Notices

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Cool. You're right, and it seems that everything having to do with quality NTSC video capture (S-Video or better) always leads back to this demonstration. But obviously for the tablet, the filters would be applied on the encoding side.
what is that guy wearing???

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
what is that guy wearing???
What, I thought we all wore our construction hats when we've got our pink polo collar flipped-up inside our Member's Only knock-off. No?

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
What, I thought we all wore our construction hats when we've got our pink polo collar flipped-up inside our Member's Only knock-off. No?
White construction hats were so last year...

[click]Note to self: Remind Reggie to add a per-post "Off Topic" or "Ignore" button so we can self-regulate our fun. It seems I enjoy strange fashion sense banter during useful threads. In the meantime, maybe I'll just add a tag.[/click]

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Daperl, no, your post is usefull, it's the first time i see a so clear demonstration about deinterlacing ! THANKS !

DVD are still interlaced, it means that if you encode above 352 pixels wide, you will have to deinterlace during encoding. But most of the videos you can download (free or non-free) are progressive, so, no deinterlecing needed.

HANDBRAKE does a good job for deinterlacing, you just have to select it in the video page, (where you can crop and resize, in the bottom right)

Low resolution video don't have to deinterlace, because they just keep half of the frames (1 line of 2), so you loose practically half of the details.

The temptation to go for a low resolution video to avoid to deinterlace is strong, but if you want the best possible picture on screen ... you will definitively chose to deinterlace an pick the highest possible picture size.

The Following User Says Thank You to totololo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
On a similar note, I discovered that just converting sound to 96kbit/44K1 makes most of videos playable straight off the net in full resolution. I know this sounds like snake-oil, but it works. It might get jittery on Matrix class scenes but 850kbps 640x350 divx video (which is roughly what you will find on the net for most shows) is just fine.
Another interesting thing: I was able to play a 640x480 video without problems, but then I added ao=sdl and "softvol" settings to my mplayer config file (to allow the volume to be boosted dramatically higher [1] [2] ) and suddenly the video started stuttering. I'll play around a bit more, see if I can figure out exactly which setting causes the slowdown...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I have an .avi video file with German subtitles displayed on the screen.

Is there a way to remove these subtitles while playing it under mplayer?

I'm not seeing an option for this.

Thanks.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
If your subtitles are inside the frames, you cannot remove it. If they are just in a separate file, you can always remove the file, but it seems you are in the first case ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to totololo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
This was a very good and informative thread when it comes to what resolution, etc to save movies in. Thanks.

I know the N810 supports a number of formats like MP4, AVI, etc - is there one format that provides better results than others?
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

the best way to view videos on the nokia n810 is downloading mplayer. there is no need to convert videos because it recognises most file formats and the quality of the video is very smooth compared to the default media player for the n810

Tags
when will tim find me