Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
If you don't see a difference I recommend going to the first page of the thread and check out my experience with that HD trailer. Along with the other encoding recommendations of this thread, and like mil referred to, a resolution near 200,000 pixels seems to be the silver bullet for the tablets.
Of course, you must take into account that I'm not converting HD videos here, just TV rips.

Watching HD video on a NIT is like killing a spider with a rocket launcher IMO.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I have NEVER encode/convert video for my tablet. They just play fine. If not, I will look for another copy.
On a similar note, I discovered that just converting sound to 96kbit/44K1 makes most of videos playable straight off the net in full resolution. I know this sounds like snake-oil, but it works. It might get jittery on Matrix class scenes but 850kbps 640x350 divx video (which is roughly what you will find on the net for most shows) is just fine.

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
Of course, you must take into account that I'm not converting HD videos here, just TV rips.

Watching HD video on a NIT is like killing a spider with a rocket launcher IMO.
Yeah, but your NTSC numbers and totololo's NTSC numbers don't differ that much. And totololo is assuming 29.97 fps. But since you're going from 29.97 to 23.98 fps, you should definitely bump up the resolution. I recommend 528x384 (just greater than 4/3). And if you're not already, I would also throw in a deinterlacing filter.

Yeah, but your NTSC numbers and totololo's NTSC numbers don't differ that much. And totololo is assuming 29.97 fps. But since you're going from 29.97 to 23.98 fps, you should definitely bump up the resolution. I recommend 528x384 (just greater than 4/3). And if you're not already, I would also throw in a deinterlacing filter.
im converting @ 30fps. where did 23.98 come from?

anyway, I'm not really talking about getting *better* video quality to run. I think the way i did it looks fine, and should be good enough for most people. the whole concept of *needing* super-hq video on a nit sort of perplexes me.

I was merely sharing a decent / easy / customizable way to convert videos, because I had a moderately difficult time finding a good, free program.

Maybe my post should be in a different video conversion thread, but I figured this one was more active, so it would be seen.

///EDIT

oh, i see now about the 24fps. well that was using his parameters. when I did my conversion to the native resolution (400x240), i used 30fps.

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-06-07 at 20:37.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Handbrake is free and has a Windows version.

http://handbrake.fr/

im converting @ 30fps. where did 23.98 come from?

anyway, I'm not really talking about getting *better* video quality to run. I think the way i did it looks fine, and should be good enough for most people. the whole concept of *needing* super-hq video on a nit sort of perplexes me.

I was merely sharing a decent / easy / customizable way to convert videos, because I had a moderately difficult time finding a good, free program.

Maybe my post should be in a different video conversion thread, but I figured this one was more active, so it would be seen.
I think I get it now. You were only referring to totololo's 24 fps wide resolution spec. I thought you were also going to change the fps. Sorry.

I think I get it now. You were only referring to totololo's 24 fps wide resolution spec. I thought you were also going to change the fps. Sorry.
No prob. i also realize that this thread IS about achieving "super hq-ish" on the nit.

One definite advantage of Handbrake is the ability to set a target file size -- very handy for putting lots of movies on a card, eg., for travel.

The program comes very close to whatever you set.

Joe

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Hq ? it's like beauty : in the eyes of the beholder ... it's a matter of taste.

for me 400x240 is ugly, 576x 352 is acceptable, 800x 480 would be better ...

but sometimes ... i'm an annoying guy !

No prob. i also realize that this thread IS about achieving "super hq-ish" on the nit.
Cool. You're right, and it seems that everything having to do with quality NTSC video capture (S-Video or better) always leads back to this demonstration. But obviously for the tablet, the filters would be applied on the encoding side.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:

Tags
when will tim find me