Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
That's roughly the level of compression I use, as well. A 24-min TV programme represented as 400x240 ends up as a ~97MB file, typically. Remarkable when you consider that you can get about 40 onto a 4G micro-SD card, when you compare the size of one of those to a VHS tape
It's even more amazing if you compare it to super 8mm film, magic lantern slides or a sheet of papyrus.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
About 340MB
Thanks! Sounds like an 8GB SDHC card would be more than adequate for my needs then.

I am having problems with the Nokia Media player recognizing files in the VOB or ISO format. I have my movies in a folder named "Movies", my Nokia will recognize and play videos in the MP4 format, but not these other formats.

I should mention that the VOB and ISO files play fine on the n800 converter program, just not on my actual Nokia.

What am I missing here? Is there another step?

P.S. I am technologically challenged, so please be kind

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
You need to use the N800 Video Convert to convert the videos, from, say, VOB to avi. Here are basic instructions. Use google on this forum's home page to find desirable tweaks.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Gopher428 View Post
I am having problems with the Nokia Media player recognizing files in the VOB or ISO format. I have my movies in a folder named "Movies", my Nokia will recognize and play videos in the MP4 format, but not these other formats.

I should mention that the VOB and ISO files play fine on the n800 converter program, just not on my actual Nokia.

What am I missing here? Is there another step?

P.S. I am technologically challenged, so please be kind
Nvc is a little 'obtuse' to just pick up and try. Definitely read some instructions but...
The trick is to hit the 'add' button for each file you want to convert. This adds them to a batch. Then hit 'start' to convert them.

I'm having a little trouble. DVD Shrink only seems to produce .VOB files and neither 'N800 Video Convert' nor 'Internet Tablet Video Converter' seems to recognize this file format. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Deaj View Post
I'm having a little trouble. DVD Shrink only seems to produce .VOB files and neither 'N800 Video Convert' nor 'Internet Tablet Video Converter' seems to recognize this file format. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I assure you that N800 VC does recognize .VOB files. See my post #54 above for instructions. You're doing something wrong.

If that doesn't help, you're going to have to explain exactly what you're doing. (Once you have created the .VOB file, you ought to be able to click Open in N800 VC and navigate to the VOB file -- it's the biggest file that you want -- then see it in the preview, and then click Add. Then start the conversion.)

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Hi, I have a problem about DVD Shrink. I have opened a dvd video disc(16:9) that I prepared from my video camera and choose iso image file after finishing the convertion I drag and dropped in the N800 video convert . After the convertion I opened the video it looks bad aspect ratio like 4:3. I couldn't find anywhere in DVD Shrink video aspect ratio selection option. So I tried another program Winavi Video Converter to dvd-divx convertion and the result is very good, no wrong aspect ratio. Then I transfer the video to NVC and the last result is very good. How and where can we select aspect ratio in DVD Shrink?
Thanks in Advance

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Near Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
The next version of tablet-encode will enhance its DVD ripping auto-selection mode (which selects the longest title on the DVD) with a --all option, which rips all titles within 10% of the longest track.

This'll mean that you can insert a DVD of a TV show (such as Star Trek or M*A*S*H and rip all the episodes direct to your Nokia with:

Code:
tablet-encode --all dvd: /media/nokia-external/
Shiny, n'est pas?
Jaffa, is there any notification list or something that I can sign up to to get notifications about when you release this feature?! Maybe I'll finally get to ripping my Simpsons DVDs...

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
Jaffa, is there any notification list or something that I can sign up to to get notifications about when you release this feature?! Maybe I'll finally get to ripping my Simpsons DVDs...
In Garage you can select notifications for new releases. Click on:

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/monitor...id=455&start=1

I'll also announce it on maemo-users (though for some reason I keep getting unsubscribed from it for too many bounces) and my maemopeople blog.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: