Active Topics

For those on OS X, Visual Hub will take almost anything even things QTP won't. Including commercial DVD disks if you use a liitle utility called FairMount which will magically unmount and quickly (in less than 10s) remount any mounted encrypted DVD but in unencrypted form. So you can convert any DVD to n800 compatible format w/o any intermediate transcoding. See my other post on converting in H264 for n8x0 as opposed to MPEG4 which is what Nokia converter does. Highly recommended imho.

My only problem with V. Hub it its inability to do partial converts - from point a to b say. That unfortunately sometimes necessitates transcoding.

Last edited by directore; 2008-03-23 at 01:21.

Originally Posted by mcdave2042 View Post
Hi,

I can't get the DVD shrink/Nokia Conservtor thing to work. I can produce VOB files (which play on VLC player fine) but when I try to put them into the Nokia convertor it says the file type isn't recognised.

So, I tried doing an ISO file- same problem.

I've also tried a few avi convertors and they come up with all this codec stuff (which I don't undetstand).

I'd appreciate any help, but I'm not very technical! I've been trying to do this for ages and am about to give up.

Many thanks

David
Read this post

The Following User Says Thank You to superstar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by superstar View Post
Read this post
McDave, note that superstar is using N800 Video Convert, which is not the same as NITVC.

I also use N800 Video Convert and DVD Shrink and have no problems. I recommend you let DVDShrink make files with no size limitation (see your preferences for that option) -- that results in the whole movie being in a single VOB file, readily recognized since it's the largest. Once you have NVC open, just open the single VOB file, add it and encode.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
I haven't read through this whole thread so apologies if someone's already covered this, but Linux users can take advantage of a number of excellent open-source tools for this.

This is a script I wrote, which makes use of the 'mencoder' utility to convert episodes of M*A*S*H directly from DVD to N800-friendly, 15:9 cropped, widescreen AVIs:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

cropval=720:576:0:0 # MASH

lsdvd  |cut -c-24

typeset -i sind

echo -n "first title "; read first
echo -n "last title  "; read last
echo -n "filename  "; read fname

echo -n "start index  "
read sind

typeset -i cnt=$((sind - 1))
for i in $(seq $first $last); do
    cnt=$((cnt+1))
    oname=${fname}_$(printf "%02d" $cnt).avi
    echo encoding $oname
    mencoder dvd://$i -dvd-device /dev/dvd -aid 129 -af volume=16:0 -o $oname \
             -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp3:abitrate=48 \
             -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:autoaspect:vbitrate=480 \
             -vf scale=400:300,crop=400:240:0:20 \
             -ffourcc DIVX \
             -idx

done
I run it with the DVD in the drive. It invites me to select which titles I want to rip, the filename and a 'start index' to start numbering the titles from.

Then it gets on with it!

I'd suggest that anyone who might find it useful investigate the various man pages for mencoder. There's a trade-off between filesize and quality, of course - you may find that a higher audio bitrate is appropriate than I've chosen here, for example, or you might not need to increase the audio volume, as I've done here. Or you might wish to trim some rough edges from your material with a different crop value. The 'acidrip' package is very good for guessing crop values automatically.

Happy to answer any questions.

The Following User Says Thank You to slimjim For This Useful Post:
Quick question - how much storage space will an average 90 minute DVD require after conversion for use on a NIT?

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Deaj View Post
Quick question - how much storage space will an average 90 minute DVD require after conversion for use on a NIT?
About 340MB

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Many thanks GeraldKo. I didn't realise they were different. It's working fine now.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
About 340MB
I get about the same with my 2-pass script, if I try and shrink any more the quality loss is quite noticeable. On a recent long journey the n800 kept my son busy for quite a while watching a ripped DVD!

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
The next version of tablet-encode will enhance its DVD ripping auto-selection mode (which selects the longest title on the DVD) with a --all option, which rips all titles within 10% of the longest track.

This'll mean that you can insert a DVD of a TV show (such as Star Trek or M*A*S*H and rip all the episodes direct to your Nokia with:

Code:
tablet-encode --all dvd: /media/nokia-external/
Shiny, n'est pas?

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
About 340MB
That's roughly the level of compression I use, as well. A 24-min TV programme represented as 400x240 ends up as a ~97MB file, typically. Remarkable when you consider that you can get about 40 onto a 4G micro-SD card, when you compare the size of one of those to a VHS tape

The Following User Says Thank You to slimjim For This Useful Post: