Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
there are plans for carrier payments and stuff but it probably takes an year or more before you can start waiting for it.

e: the app is btw worth the price imo. it is at least one of the best apps available
I know, if you see my previous posts its the most used app on my N900 so am more than happy to pay for it

Ive been to the main site but the download option doesnt work either, or hasnt been updated but im guessing it wont be now with it being in the ovi store

The Following User Says Thank You to *Sonic* For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
sonic: operator billing might already work in some countries. depends on carrier too, of course. check your account settings. (can't tell you where exactly, my operator doesn't support it.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
My operator supports it on all my other nokia devices just not on N900 there's no option for op billing.

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Ive tried it from my N900 now and the only option is to add a credit card, no operator billing, I hope Fabien is reading this and can setup his download page using paypal or similar

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Sonic* For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
ouch. no. neither did i get the license itself. it just states it's gpl and links to the homepage.

now we can go into the dirty details here with stellarium mobile, but i wonder why we should. i just checked with and application i downloaded from maemo extras: no info about the licensing at all, no offer that i could get the sources anywhere, no further info about the gpl itself. still, as the application's garage project page tells me, it's meant to be gpl. and does, in fact, publish its sources. you just won't ever know if you download from extras using the application manager.

why am i telling this? because it's just absurd to have higher standards for software published on ovi than for the applications we find in extras. sure, it would help if people took the terms of the license more seriously (after all they chose the licensing themselves), and maybe it would be useful to set up a short check list for developers in the wiki to ensure just that. but really.... there is no reason at all to demand of stellarium what nobody ever demanded of an application in extras. enjoy the great application. there's nothing wrong with writing and publishing a great piece of software.
You are mistaken here.

There is no problem with extras - the source is available for download together with the binaries. The extras repository has a source directory and the source for every package (in the free section) is downloadable. Ovi does not have a source repository, and its packages do not include the source, so the only way it can comply with the GPL is by providing a written offer, which as you noted, they do not.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
I have purchased Stellarium Mobile from the Ovi Store and have requested the source from them. I purchased it primarily so I could confirm for myself that it did claim to be released under the GPL, plus it looked cool. I haven't mentioned the fact that I have purchased it in my message to Ovi Store support though, as the fact doesn't seem pertinent.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
If the source does not accompany the binary, then every binary must come with a "written offer for the source, valid for any third party". Did you get such a written offer?
I got no such offer, so they would seem to be in breach of GPL already regardless of whether or not they provide the source to me.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following User Says Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
The app didn't show up in the dutch OVI store. However, clicking the link from post #64 and then on the button to send it to my cellphone worked. It's a great app

I'm curious though how this licensing story will end.

-iDont

The Following User Says Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Dang! We are a whiny bunch (myself included).
...and didn't let up until the thing was made available too.

I just downloaded this and It is good!
BTW, in all the time it has been available to me, this was my first purchase from OVI store. Nothing that came before had been so compelling.

They got my cherry and I now have a C/C tied to my OVI account. Future impulse purchases are only a few clicks away.

So... if my OVI store use case is typical and others find having Stellarium on their N900's just as compelling, then Nokia will get some value out of this contest.

As far as the winner snagging me as a future contributor to the OVI revenue stream by bringing me quality software worth the effort of using a credit card, the contest was a success.

This app is good.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-10-22 at 20:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
cool, it's about damn time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:

Tags
contest, innovators, stellarium