If you downloaded it from the OVI store, shouldn't they make the source available?
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
If you downloaded it from the OVI store, shouldn't they make the source available?
If you send them an email and request the sources... probably. Again, they're not obliged to simply provide a download link, but you could argue that you got the binary from Nokia, not from Fabien. I don't see any practical value in trying to explain this to a Nokia customer service representative, but on the other hand: If you do, please publish their answer. I'm sure it must be fun.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I downloaded it (it's an amazing piece of software btw) and checked what he put in the "about" box: It's still GPL, thank god. As far as I know, this doesn't force him to actively distribute the sources with the binary or make them available for download. He just mustn't refuse to send you the code if you ask for it.
If the source does not accompany the binary, then every binary must come with a "written offer for the source, valid for any third party". Did you get such a written offer?

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
If the source does not accompany the binary, then every binary must come with a "written offer for the source, valid for any third party". Did you get such a written offer?
ouch. no. neither did i get the license itself. it just states it's gpl and links to the homepage.

now we can go into the dirty details here with stellarium mobile, but i wonder why we should. i just checked with and application i downloaded from maemo extras: no info about the licensing at all, no offer that i could get the sources anywhere, no further info about the gpl itself. still, as the application's garage project page tells me, it's meant to be gpl. and does, in fact, publish its sources. you just won't ever know if you download from extras using the application manager.

why am i telling this? because it's just absurd to have higher standards for software published on ovi than for the applications we find in extras. sure, it would help if people took the terms of the license more seriously (after all they chose the licensing themselves), and maybe it would be useful to set up a short check list for developers in the wiki to ensure just that. but really.... there is no reason at all to demand of stellarium what nobody ever demanded of an application in extras. enjoy the great application. there's nothing wrong with writing and publishing a great piece of software.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
The HAM not showing licenses (the repo, actually) is a known bug ('wontfix' for Fremantle but still, it's not 'invalid'). The QA process *should* look at licensing. The binary packages are stripped of docs automatically to conserve space so sometimes the licensing info falls prey to that. There is no separate download offer as the package management system automatically provides you with the sources (apt-get source myapp). But all this is (almost) irrelevant at this point - I just want to hear Fabien's side of the story.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I just want to hear Fabien's side of the story.
most probably something like "i'm still celebrating - thanks for all your support, keep downloading!"

that's would my side of the story would be right here and now.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
how do you pay in the ovi store ?

And also once I have bought it, what happens if I reflash my phone in the future, will I still be able to re-install it without having to pay for it again ?

Last edited by *Sonic*; 2010-10-22 at 17:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to *Sonic* For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
how do you pay in the ovi store ?
only with CC at least for a while

e: you can download the app at least 4 times (at least I managed to do it) or then copy a backup khrm /var/tmp/ khrm

(but if you send a backup of an app to your friend, I hope your and his N900 explodes...)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-10-22 at 17:55.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
only with CC at least for a while

Hmm I dont have a CC

I have just been on the ovi web site in the hope that I could pay via paypal or some other means and then download or send the file to my N900 but all it does is send me a text

The Following User Says Thank You to *Sonic* For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
Hmm I dont have a CC

I have just been on the ovi web site in the hope that I could pay via paypal or some other means and then download or send the file to my N900 but all it does is send me a text
there are plans for carrier payments and stuff but it probably takes an year or more before you can start waiting for it.

e: the app is btw worth the price imo. it is at least one of the best apps available
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:

Tags
contest, innovators, stellarium