Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I hope you are joking...
Not at all. Care to explain why that behavior belongs here?

I'm open to a logical counterpoint. Emotional appeals, however, will find little if any resonance.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Corso85 View Post
It's not what you do mate. It's how you do it. No one said your job is easy. But just because a job is hard, that doesn't mean you don't do it in the best possible manner.

Take a look a this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=55991&page=3

Your closing statement doesn't not signify any maturity. Infact it'll only make the person want to open another thread.

The community are not idiots. They are professionals. Good apps have 100s of pages thank Posts. I think the community is smart enough to differentiate..
the thread you linked to proved that some people here are, in fact, idiots. they have a right to be treated accordingly. - seriously, this community deserves to be protected from such verbal excrements. i mean... new n900 users and developers come here looking for help and support. do you want them to be greeted with these stinking threads?

closing them is the only right choice. (i changed my mind on this topic during the last 4-5 months.... i was all against closing threads and banning users. but that was before those people came aboard.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Corso85 View Post
Your closing statement doesn't not signify any maturity.
Whereas equating forum thread closure with the acts of genocidal nazis does???

Please.

Infact it'll only make the person want to open another thread...
Only a sociopath would react that way. Think about it. Talk about immature!

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Not at all. Care to explain why that behavior belongs here?

I'm open to a logical counterpoint. Emotional appeals, however, will find little if any resonance.
Sure.
Censor based on conduct and breaking forum rules; not because of the opinion expressed or other content of the remarks.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Tags sometimes make me roll my eyes. Misguided rant? really?

I think PB has seen something he disagree's with and brought it out for a discussion... I see nothing misguided about that at all.

I may not agree 100% with him, as I haven't seen much (if any) moderating around here that I don't like (in fact, this is one of the more lenient boards I've been too): However, I do think sometimes it gets out of hand when one of the moderators themselves are a part of the debacle, and then close it with a final "note".. looks more like a fit of rage than actual moderating (even if the close was warranted)..

But still, tagging the thread as "misguided" is just silly.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I don't mind the closing of threads... however - if a thread has gotten to the point it needs closing; it doesn't need a "final word" from the moderator.

A simple post, from the mod (so that people know who did it) saying "Thread closed" is all that's necessary.

A moderator should not, IMHO, add their own personally biased $0.02, and then close the thread disallowing anyone else from countering them or continuing the debate.

Obviously if the thread is close-worthy, there's nothing worthwhile left to say and it has derailed into a mindless mess of insulting nonsense, and therefore does not require anybody's $0.02. Simply close it, post that you're closing it, and leave it at that.

If a closing statement is more than one sentence long... you're doing it wrong IMHO.
And yet I was taken to task for closing threads WITHOUT a closing statement by others.

I don't see anything wrong or even immature in my statement in question.

And I really love a no-win position. But I never expected you of all people fatalsaint to encourage me further to bail on this madness.

EDIT: okay, I can see where I could have chosen my words better in h3llraz0r's thread. Very sorry about my poor choice.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-06-12 at 19:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Free speech is between provided and supported by your government. It does not apply here and you know that. Civics 101.

And again: this is NOT a Nokia service forum. You know that as well. You should also be aware that there are much, much better ways of getting Nokia's attention o n their failures. Do you ever read my blog? Try the latest article if you ever get time. There have been almost 3000 views of that one.

And where is your community support, penguinbait? Right now you are supporting the so-callled "right" of people to attack it. Not the mindset of a former council person I would think.

FYI: the community is asking me to act on trolls. I'm not catering to the will of a malcontented minority but the general will of the community.
Texrat, no I don't read your blog. I was not trying to pick on you, I am pointing out that I think that the mods are handling things the wrong way IMO IMO IMO

You are taking it personally and saying I am not supporting my community. I disagree.

You say free speech is not for this forum. I disagree. If free speech for the most part was not allowed here I would have left LONG ago.

What I am saying is I believe some mods attitudes around here are perpetuating the exact thing their fighting against. IMO IMO IMO

Which I am entitled to, again I cite FREE SPEECH. Of course you could close my thread and ban me, then I would take my free speech elsewhere.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
the thread you linked to proved that some people here are, in fact, idiots.
sorry OT(I'm a OT kind of guy). best line yet.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Sure.
Censor based on conduct and breaking forum rules; not because of the opinion expressed or other content of the remarks.
SD69 if you think I actually closed the thread over raw opinion rather than the original poster's rule-breaking actions then we're speaking totally different languages.

I'll make you guys happy though: I'm taking a break from moderating while I rethink once again why I'm spending my rare free time trying to help the community. Someone else can respond to the appeals for decorum. Enjoy.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
the thread you linked to proved that some people here are, in fact, idiots. they have a right to be treated accordingly. - seriously, this community deserves to be protected from such verbal excrements. i mean... new n900 users and developers come here looking for help and support. do you want them to be greeted with these stinking threads?

closing them is the only right choice. (i changed my mind on this topic during the last 4-5 months.... i was all against closing threads and banning users. but that was before those people came aboard.
Well, if you wanna go by that logic? why just close them? why dont you go out right and delete them? have it all super clean?

Whereas equating forum thread closure with the acts of genocidal nazis does???
Please.
Only a sociopath would react that way. Think about it. Talk about immature!

Ah. you're one of those. You actually don't want to be convinced. so you pick on the parts of the analogy that suit you. I've encountered that before.

In nazi analogy my dear friend, I did not mean the physical aspect of mass murder. I meant the aspect of my way or the highway.

So now you are diagnosing them too? nice. Sure they could be soiciopaths or simply very offended

Tags
community, we the people