its all nokias fault.if they were a good company who cared abt customers,people wudnt find the need to complain

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by airjaff View Post
its all nokias fault.if they were a good company who cared abt customers,people wudnt find the need to complain
This is NOT a Nokia service forum.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
BTW.. I have a question.. if it's been answered somewhere else, kindly point me to it and I'll be quiet again...

What happens to maemo (1. community \ 2. site \ 3. support framework) after MeeGo?

ps: this is strictly about maemo (n770, n800, n810 and n900). I've read the early threads about MeeGo migration (forum, community, etc).. but I don't recall the continuation of support on maemo.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-06-12 at 17:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm going to close threads that are solely designed to attack the community.

Of all people penguinbait, you should be aligned with that.

Ah, the inevitable hyperbolic invocation of Godwin's Law [1]

Feel free to find a forum dedicated to hatred, anger and anarchy if this one doesn't suit you.

I'm tired of spending my rare personal time plowing through PMs and reported post emails to deal with the occasional nastiness here only to encounter rank exaggerations like yours. Be very careful in your wishes-- I'm actually a light moderator and if I get disgusted enough to quit you might not like either alternative afterward.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Not THIS moderator. I'm very tolerant but lately I've had enough of the community attack threads. They serve NO purpose, SD69.

But anyone who doesn't like my approach is free to complain about it to Reggie. I almost quit this thankless gig once and I've been on the edge of it lately. I'm trying to strike a balance and help the overall community and I'm not going to cater to a shrill minority. Anyone who thinks this role is easy is deluding themselves.
It's not what you do mate. It's how you do it. No one said your job is easy. But just because a job is hard, that doesn't mean you don't do it in the best possible manner.

Take a look a this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=55991&page=3

Your closing statement doesn't not signify any maturity. Infact it'll only make the person want to open another thread.

The community are not idiots. They are professionals. Good apps have 100s of pages thank Posts. I think the community is smart enough to differentiate..

The Following User Says Thank You to Corso85 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
The following thread was closed because a few people thought the discussion should occur on another forum, not because any forum rules were broken:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=48929

I sent a PM to the moderator and he didn't respond. A shame IMHO.

EDIT: and it was a stickied thread.
True, and it pissed me to no end

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA

Of all people penguinbait, you should be aligned with that.

Ah, the inevitable hyperbolic invocation of Godwin's Law [1]

Feel free to find a forum dedicated to hatred, anger and anarchy if this one doesn't suit you.

I'm tired of spending my rare personal time plowing through PMs and reported post emails to deal with the occasional nastiness here only to encounter rank exaggerations like yours. Be very careful in your wishes-- I'm actually a light moderator and if I get disgusted enough to quit you might not like either alternative afterward.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Not THIS moderator. I'm very tolerant but lately I've had enough of the community attack threads. They serve NO purpose, SD69.

But anyone who doesn't like my approach is free to complain about it to Reggie. I almost quit this thankless gig once and I've been on the edge of it lately. I'm trying to strike a balance and help the overall community and I'm not going to cater to a shrill minority. Anyone who thinks this role is easy is deluding themselves.
I align with free speech. I am complaining here, please don't close the thread

Nokia's problems are Nokia's fault. I understand you feel a personal connection to the community. However I feel if we can actually feel and hear the pain it will get better. If we ignore it, it will not go away.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

I don't mind the closing of threads... however - if a thread has gotten to the point it needs closing; it doesn't need a "final word" from the moderator.

A simple post, from the mod (so that people know who did it) saying "Thread closed" is all that's necessary.

A moderator should not, IMHO, add their own personally biased $0.02, and then close the thread disallowing anyone else from countering them or continuing the debate.

Obviously if the thread is close-worthy, there's nothing worthwhile left to say and it has derailed into a mindless mess of insulting nonsense, and therefore does not require anybody's $0.02. Simply close it, post that you're closing it, and leave it at that.

If a closing statement is more than one sentence long... you're doing it wrong IMHO.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
And guys, remember the alternative. If Texrat quits, I might step up again to moderate.

Who would you rather have, Texrat, or me?

That's what I thought. So let's all try to give Texrat a break, and stop the incessant attacking and slapping the same old things.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
however I believe some of what goes on here is perpetuated by the people who are vigilantly trying to stop it.
Interesting point of view; thank you for raising it. It is indeed true that sometimes, blinded by the passion to stop certain things, people start doing those things themselves.

This being said, I disagree that too many threads are being closed. I would like to remember each and everyone involved in this thread, that if you believe that a moderator is going too far, you may want to take it to Reggie. Please let me stress the very, very important part of that previous sentence: you may want to, that doesn't mean you should and will. As with everything, parsimony helps everyone, especially those who have to manage incoming requests from loads of people.

@Reggie and moderators: Maybe it would be better if moderators could "opt out" of the alerts they get in their mailbox. I know that, in my case, frustration arose immensely from having my mailbox literally spammed by tens and sometimes hundreds of reported posts.

Maybe an alternative would be that one post can only be reported a number of times before the auto-mailing feature is deactivated.

With the growth of this community, some functionalities need to be adapted to cope with the noise they generate.

Edit: @fatalsaint. $0.02 or 0.02¢?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CrashandDie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
I hope you are joking...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I align with free speech. I am complaining here, please don't close the thread

Nokia's problems are Nokia's fault. I understand you feel a personal connection to the community. However I feel if we can actually feel and hear the pain it will get better. If we ignore it, it will not go away.
Free speech is between provided and supported by your government. It does not apply here and you know that. Civics 101.

And again: this is NOT a Nokia service forum. You know that as well. You should also be aware that there are much, much better ways of getting Nokia's attention on their failures. Do you ever read my blog? Try the latest article if you ever get time. There have been almost 3000 views of that one.

And where is your community support, penguinbait? Right now you are supporting the so-callled "right" of people to attack it. Not the mindset of a former council person I would think.

FYI: the community is asking me to act on trolls. I'm not catering to the will of a malcontented minority but the general will of the community.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-06-12 at 19:22.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
community, we the people