Well, I've got them on the SD, and two different HDDs in different computers, and (as of this past weekend) on Flickr. When I get 16GB worth (not insanely far off, with 12MP jpgs and 1280x720 video), I'll work out some permanent archival method; maybe an off-line HDD or two, or maybe DVDs. (I'm not really sure whether I trust magnetic particles or opto-sensitive chemicals more...)

My burning needs are pretty well covered by internal burners in my laptop and both desktops, so I don't have that laying around. Bet I got you beat for 'scopes though! (I have two, which is two more than most geeks.)

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I didnt imagine people were going to run out and buy new burners to use.
Actually, I did. I found a clearanced dual-layer drive at Target for $12.49, and then I bought a $14.99 IDE-to-USB adapter from Fry's. This is the application I was looking forward to the most!

So, I'm having a real hard time installing it, though. I previously had cdvd-tools installed before I cloned to SD and installed KDE. Then, when I tried to install K3B (within KDE), I got an error saying that some stuff was already installed via cdvd-tools. However, switching back in Hildon world to take care of this, cdvd-tools will no longer uninstall; e.g. cannot uninstall error. Now, I'm stuck because both cdvd-tools and k3b-tools (partial install) won't uninstall in the Hildon package manager, and I'm thinking that I might have to uninstall cdvd-tools in flash and reclone.

Any ideas before I do this? Thanks!

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
Actually, I did. I found a clearanced dual-layer drive at Target for $12.49, and then I bought a $14.99 IDE-to-USB adapter from Fry's. This is the application I was looking forward to the most!

So, I'm having a real hard time installing it, though. I previously had cdvd-tools installed before I cloned to SD and installed KDE. Then, when I tried to install K3B (within KDE), I got an error saying that some stuff was already installed via cdvd-tools. However, switching back in Hildon world to take care of this, cdvd-tools will no longer uninstall; e.g. cannot uninstall error. Now, I'm stuck because both cdvd-tools and k3b-tools (partial install) won't uninstall in the Hildon package manager, and I'm thinking that I might have to uninstall cdvd-tools in flash and reclone.

Any ideas before I do this? Thanks!

rm -rf /var/lib/dpkg/info/cdvd*

uninstall it

install K3B, not sure what went wrong but that should fix it
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
rm -rf /var/lib/dpkg/info/cdvd*

uninstall it

install K3B, not sure what went wrong but that should fix it
Thanks! And awesome, that did the trick for a success install, but I'm pretty sure I screwed up something along the way. While K3B is in my KDE menu now, it will not start; the icon will bounce for a second, and then go away. Whether I have the burner plugged in or not, nothing happens afterwards.

What command should I run to figure out what error it is throwing?

in a terminal .. should just be able to type:

k3b
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
in a terminal .. should just be able to type:

k3b
Good call. I don't know what I was thinking.

So, next piece in the puzzle. Running k3b as user brings it up just fine... don't have my burner with me, though, so I couldn't test CD burning or ripping. (BTW, is ripping to MP3 possible with the way K3B was packaged.)

However, there appear to be something wrong in the shortcut menu --- which I've never seen until now. It currently reads "/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/su - -c /usr/local/kde/bin/k3b". Executing this command as root or running from the menu does nothing, but running "/usr/local/kde/bin/k3b" as root does the trick to bring up k3b!

Penguinbait, not sure if this is only affecting me because of the .deb conflict mentioned earlier, but I thought I'd share.

Good call. I don't know what I was thinking.

So, next piece in the puzzle. Running k3b as user brings it up just fine... don't have my burner with me, though, so I couldn't test CD burning or ripping. (BTW, is ripping to MP3 possible with the way K3B was packaged.)

However, there appear to be something wrong in the shortcut menu --- which I've never seen until now. It currently reads "/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/su - -c /usr/local/kde/bin/k3b". Executing this command as root or running from the menu does nothing, but running "/usr/local/kde/bin/k3b" as root does the trick to bring up k3b!

Penguinbait, not sure if this is only affecting me because of the .deb conflict mentioned earlier, but I thought I'd share.

I am not sure as you are the first one to hit this issue. The menu is calling the correct command. If you used install tools or bootmenu installer it would add ALL=ALL in /etc/sudoers It seems like maybe you dont have this entry? if not then the shortcut will not work. I also thought my KDE installed set this up also, but I honestly dont remember

They add this line to the bottom of /etc/sudoers
user ALL = (ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

Do you have this entry?

If you do then you can run sudo any command and it will run as root with no password. So the sudo command in the menu is run as user and runs k3b as root.

sudo apt-get install xxx
sudo rm -rf xxx

if you do have the entry already? what happens when you run the following command as user in a terminal?
/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/su - -c /usr/local/kde/bin/k3b

------------------------
As for the MP3 ripping, I am not sure, I have not tested anything but data. Let me know what you find out?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

"/etc/sudoers" does contain "user ALL = (ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL" as the last line, and running "/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/su - -c /usr/local/kde/bin/k3b" as root does nothing. It just returns another prompt. As user, it says "/user/bin/su: command not found". Really, weird, huh?

Though, looking at the app manager in Hildon, I'm seeing that install-tools is somehow corrupt. It's got that little right exclamation point over the icon. Not sure why as this is all (of course) running all on the SD card. Not even sure if this would affect the K3B issue. Though, any other app I run from the KDE menu starts up just fine.

Will have to try tonight with ripping to MP3. Though, I won't be able to tell if all the appropriate lame packages are installed until I get a CD inserted. Will let you know what I find.

Last edited by hordeman; 2008-10-22 at 00:02.

"/etc/sudoers" does contain "user ALL = (ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL" as the last line, and running "/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/su - -c /usr/local/kde/bin/k3b" as root does nothing. It just returns another prompt. Really, weird, huh?

Though, looking at the app manager in Hildon, I'm seeing that install-tools is somehow corrupt. It's got that little right exclamation point over the icon. Not sure why as this is all (of course) running all on the SD card. Not even sure if this would affect the K3B issue. Though, any other app I run from the KDE menu starts up just fine.

Will have to try tonight with ripping to MP3. Though, I won't be able to tell if all the appropriate lame packages are installed until I get a CD inserted. Will let you know what I find.

No you cannot run sudo as root, what happens when you run that full command as "user"?

So will it allow me to watch a DVD connected via USB?

Tags
burn, dvd, kde, kde35