Active Topics

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Click on the USB icon on the taskbar to enable Host mode
(click on picture to see demo)

Then install > K3B Deb <
24 mb installed

Or install it first whatever

Now that its installed, you need to connect your cdrom/dvd burner.

In order to do this I use a USB Gender Changer, A Female To Female

Click on the picture to link to Cyberguys.com. (where I bought mine)

I connect this to my 810 cable and then connect that to my USB DVD burner cable.

Start K3b from the menu under Multimedia

Notes:
Its setup to run as root, I had nothing but problems getting it to run as user.

When started it will come up and tell you your running it as root, just click close. You can also start k3bsetup, but you don't need to.

I mounted flash and backed it up to CD and DVD perfectly, on two different DVD burners. (Sony and Lite-On)

I was not able to backup the full running filesystem, from crashes to directory loops that go to memory death. Perhaps some kind of ro mount to roots?

Make sure the device is plugged in and turned on before starting K3b or it wont find the device and you will need to restart the application. After plugging in the USB device, wait about 10 seconds for the device to settle before starting K3b

BUGS?
It finishes but cannot seem to verify, it will pop out the disk when its done and you will have to then cancel it the application. It will be at 50% complete. It works perfectly though?

Let me know what your experiences are. If you loaded my cdrom.deb or cdvd-tools.deb you would need to remove them from application manager.

Also, I never ruined one disc It works great. Linux Rules!!!!!!!!
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-09-29 at 22:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Click on picture below to see how to burn a dvd and the time it takes. Its a tad long and about 10MB just an FYI. This is a demo of me burning about 350MB to a DVD. Its about 1-2x for a DVD (about 1-3K KB/s)

Please notice the CPU load is very heavy and running VNC server with an active host added to the load. Vnc seems to use about 10-15% CPU and it also puts extra load on Xomap. So I am saying it may be a little faster without vnc running

(click on picture to see demo)
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Another one someone should port is K9Copy...

Easily make backup-copies of encrypted DVD's and the like. Never tried copying a Video DVD with K3B .. might work just as easy.. always used it for iso files .

Good job PB on another great work.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Another one someone should port is K9Copy...

Easily make backup-copies of encrypted DVD's and the like. Never tried copying a Video DVD with K3B .. might work just as easy.. always used it for iso files .

Good job PB on another great work.
Well this works great for backups, I don't think video encoding would be possible, just not enough CPU and memory.

I have not appempted any video or audio burning yet.

Meh, anything's possible. We have the CPU, it'll just take a week. 16 GB of SD as swap -- how much memory do you think we need? Oh, yeah, swapping, so make that a month.

It'll work. I just can't leave my N800 alone long enough...

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Meh, anything's possible. We have the CPU, it'll just take a week. 16 GB of SD as swap -- how much memory do you think we need? Oh, yeah, swapping, so make that a month.

It'll work. I just can't leave my N800 alone long enough...
OK, perhaps I should have used the word practical

Has anyone besides me burned a dvd or cd from their tablet yet??

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Has anyone besides me burned a dvd or cd from their tablet yet??
It's reply to myself day,

Anyone????

Not me; I just don't have the economic justification to buy a USB burner. My tx2000 has one, and I've got a couple or three 16GB SDs for the Eee, N800, and camera.

The best justification I could make would be for a CD-ROM to install OSes on the Eee, but even that's not needed, and no way is a burner worth it.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Not me; I just don't have the economic justification to buy a USB burner. My tx2000 has one, and I've got a couple or three 16GB SDs for the Eee, N800, and camera.

The best justification I could make would be for a CD-ROM to install OSes on the Eee, but even that's not needed, and no way is a burner worth it.
I didnt imagine people were going to run out and buy new burners to use. I have a CD burner, a DVD burner and a dual layer dvd burner, all usb laying around taking up space.

Maybe I just have more crap than most people

What do you do with all your camera images, keep them on SD or Disk? I burn all my camera images to 2 DVD's and store them in separate locations.

Maybe I am just more paranoid than most people too?

Tags
burn, dvd, kde, kde35