Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I've had the pleasure to explain to two Jolla owners why their SDXC card won't work on a Jolla phone without re-formating and that they will not be able to re-format them on their laptops.
Why not. Of course they need to use normal operating system and not some Windows junk on their laptops to do it
That is only part of the problem. Another part is that Jolla, in their infinite wisdom, decided not to export the SD card in a proper USB storage mode for the PC to format it. You have to format it on the phone or use an SD card reader if you want to format it on the PC.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2014 @ Bulgaria

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That is only part of the problem. Another part is that Jolla, in their infinite wisdom, decided not to export the SD card in a proper USB storage mode for the PC to format it. You have to format it on the phone or use an SD card reader if you want to format it on the PC.
I think they had a good reason for it. USB mode is generally more risk and error prone (corruptions and such). I see no problem with using SD card reader for such thing. Internal storage however is another question, since you can't use any readers for it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I'll have to agree with @shmerl here, exporting removable storage device over as partitions or raw device has no real benefit and it does present the additional challenge of making sure the processes on the device do not try to gain access while it is unmounted.

On the other hand, exporting the internal flash (not the removable memory card) over USB does have one very defined use case; when done in preboot mode it allows for external device to partition it.

As for partitioning and formatting the removable media, that can be done in the device, no need to export it or put it to an external reader. That'd be really silly since you already have all the tools to do it in the device.

Also I agree with @pichlo on the braindeadness of MTP, it is the slowest, silliest, ugliest and most error-prone file transfer protocol anyone has dreamed up. (and I am not talking about implementations here, but the spec itself!)

Besides, if you really want to export the memory card over USB, that too is doable in Jolla currently, just editing one config file is enough!

tldr; No, you should not use USB to transfer files. Use sftp or rsync over wlan like it's meant to be done. And if you really want to do it over USB, again use sftp or rsync over NDIS.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
I submitted a request here: https://together.jolla.com/question/...tent-licenses/ for Jolla not to use crowdfunded money to pay anything to M$.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I submitted a request here: https://together.jolla.com/question/...tent-licenses/ for Jolla not to use crowdfunded money to pay anything to M$.
I went ahead and voted that up myself, even though I'm an advocate of going ahead and licensing exFAT -- I think paying for the license makes sense in terms of making life easier for non-technical users.

But man, using crowdfunded dollars for that is painful. The people paying up front on Indiegogo have no need for exFAT.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I went ahead and voted that up myself
AOL!
10 chars

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
AOL!
10 chars
Me, too! 10 chars

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Why not. Of course they need to use normal operating system and not some Windows junk on their laptops to do it
Your friends must be so glad to have someone like you to help them with their computer problems...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Went to upvote, but after quick glance at comments... eh, how did we come to the conclusion that all backers are tech savvy? Jolla are trying to make devices that are also for the non-techies out there, I think I'll AWOL that request, making life easier for the masses isn't really that bad (sure, the part about funding MS hurts, ehh)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:

Tags
bulks