Active Topics

Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
stskeeps told on twitter that they don't intend to lock the bootloader.
It was said in the latest Sailfish community meeting.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I suspect that the 32GB max is the good old FAT-format limitation. Sure, format it with extfs or something and you'll not face that problem, but the "industry standard" format is still based around the Microsoft formats, so you'll have trouble sharing that uSD card with other mobile devices.

So basically, paying to license exFAT gives you a level of compatibility with all the other junk already on the market today.
f2fs should be OK, except it's still WIP. Windows driver will be made by Samsung. But if you don't have any Windows - who cares. Just use any filesystem you want.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Has any information been revealed about the bootloader yet? If it is confirmed to be open and Jolla can provide instructions on how to use it demonstrating that it truly is an open tablet, they can have my money.
See the minutes of #mer-meeting: SailfishOS, open source, collaboration: 25-November @ 15:00 UTC, specially item "4 Generic info about Jolla Tablet - SK_work or Armadillo (20 min) (cybette, 15:20:25)" in full logs :
15:23:47 <Stskeeps> tbr: but as a general note, i tested if i could load a open kernel without problems.
15:25:14 <tbr> #info Will the bootloader be open? - <+Stskeeps> we built sailfishos on open devices. it doesn't make sense to deny that ability to others.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
See the minutes of #mer-meeting: SailfishOS, open source, collaboration: 25-November @ 15:00 UTC, specially item "4 Generic info about Jolla Tablet - SK_work or Armadillo (20 min) (cybette, 15:20:25)" in full logs :
Thanks. I checked the logs and it was this bit in particular that sums up what I wanted to hear:

15:23:18 <Stskeeps> tbr: i'm currently crafting a blog post where i hope we'll find a good solution together balancing privacy, security, etc. UEFI is a bag of cats. but aim is ability to install alternative OS'es on it.
I'll look forward to that blog post.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
Yeah, a bit strange about the memory, the n900 and the Jolla phone can both handle at least 64GB microsdhc card.
No they can't. SDHC only goes up to 32GB.

SDXC is the standard for >32GB and that mandates exFAT support. The hardware in N900/Jolla supports SDXC but not with the official standard mandatory file system.

This stretch target must be about licensing exFAT support so they can officially claim SDXC support.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
"Fat32Formatter" and good is

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
wicket, why don't you join #jollamobile and ask stskeeps? He got a prototype and told us he will try to boot soem linux distros on it. I'm sure hew ill be glad to answer your questions as good as he can or is allowed to. AFAIK it uses UEFI.
Please let us know if you hear anything about this.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
But anyway - don't you think that providing a "Format SD card" feature in Settings would be faster, cheaper and, by any measure, better than any exFAT could ever be?
Wouldn't help those who use the SD card to transfer files from other devices to the tablet. Not only would it erase data already on the card, it will also make it unreadable on a number of devices that follow that standard.

(Besides, there are very good reasons why in the end people advise against manually formating SD card of any kind.)

ExFAT support is not a necessary option for those of us who know about different file systems, compatibility issues etc.
It's something for those who buy an SD card and expect it to Just Work. I've had the pleasure to explain to two Jolla owners why their SDXC card won't work on a Jolla phone without re-formating and that they will not be able to re-format them on their laptops. Although I did stress the patent situation etc., they just replied: "It has an SD slot and this is an SD card." Well... Jolla should do something about it IMHO.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by aegis View Post

This stretch target must be about licensing exFAT support so they can officially claim SDXC support.
Good for marketing department but, who cares when all you have to do is format a memory card.
A small price to pay to extend your memory with 64GB / 128GB vs having to buy a new device because you ran out of memory, isn't it?

I am a little bit surprised to see this kind of stretch goal taking Sailfish fans for dumber than they actually are.

About the other goal: 3.5G

In particular the cellular connectivity has demanding certification and field testing requirements.

I don’t want 3.5G, do I have to upgrade? No, you can still have the original Wifi only Jolla Tablet, with the original delivery date of May 2015.

With all that field testing they may as well give it full telephone functionality.
This is not USA where the goal of iPad 3G is sell another SIM card for master Telecomoperator.
Or is there some cost inducing European license issue that I am unaware off that forbids tablets to be phones?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I've had the pleasure to explain to two Jolla owners why their SDXC card won't work on a Jolla phone without re-formating and that they will not be able to re-format them on their laptops.
Why not. Of course they need to use normal operating system and not some Windows junk on their laptops to do it

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:

Tags
bulks