Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
@dylanemcgregor:
It was nicek to read your post, kind of reminded me of the time I started on this forum IMO it would be okay to just ask, as long as you did try to search, possibly while not starting a new thread if it would fit in an older one. The search is not perfect, though most times I find what I am looking for.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by fasza2 View Post
@dylanemcgregor:
It was nicek to read your post, kind of reminded me of the time I started on this forum IMO it would be okay to just ask, as long as you did try to search, possibly while not starting a new thread if it would fit in an older one. The search is not perfect, though most times I find what I am looking for.
The search is not perfect? The search, as stated earlier SUCKS. It's more than not-perfect, it's sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before. Whenever I do MY searches through this forum, I always end up going to a REAL search engine like Google and telling it to specifically search here. i.e. 'site:talk.maemo.org searchterms searchterms searchterms ...etc'

Searches done from the TMO forum's own search UTILITY is more of a practice in search FUTILITY.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
The search is not perfect? The search, as stated earlier SUCKS. It's more than not-perfect, it's sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before. Whenever I do MY searches through this forum, I always end up going to a REAL search engine like Google and telling it to specifically search here. i.e. 'site:talk.maemo.org searchterms searchterms searchterms ...etc'

Searches done from the TMO forum's own search UTILITY is more of a practice in search FUTILITY.
Well, true as that is, it is in no way a unique situation for this board, because almost every website out there has a crappy search engine (which is not that strange to begin with). to begin with. Especially the forum boards like this.

But how difficult can it be to type a
Code:
site:sitename "some search term"
and use google?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
I'm much closer to a noob than a newbie. I've been here awhile, but I'm just a regular old user with no ability to code, and limited interest in learning (it's on my general list of nice to do someday, along with learning another language and playing an instrument, but that's the kind of list that tends to get put off for ordinary life too often). I bought my N800 practically by accident, and grew to love it. My N900 is much newer to me, and I'm not quite sure about it yet. What I know is that I've been spending a lot of time, including time that I really should be working, trying to get it setup properly.

That's OK, I knew that going into getting this device, and I still think overall it's a better fit for me than Android or iOS. That being said, a couple of observations about the forum from a user like me.

1. Search sucks. Last weekend I stumbled upon a post in a Gpodder thread mentioning trouble playing all episodes, an issue I was also having. I didn't have time to really read the entire 50 odd page thread last weekend to see if there was a solution to his problem, but tried again today. Searching the forum for gpodder and "play all" returns zero results. OK, try Google instead. get a few results, but nothing relevant. Try using Google to search just talk.maemo.org, still nothing. Spent about an hour all and all trying to find one post, that I knew wasn't going to solve my issue...but thought at least I could point to that post as something I was trying to do, and hoped I wouldn't be accused of not searching. Never ended up finding it. Somehow I ended up finding a completely different thread with a similar question. But this thread didn't show up in my forum search even though it had the exact search string in the post. (side note: one of the most frustrating things in the world is searching to try to find a solution to your problem, and coming up with 5 posts from people who have the same problem, and the only replies are things like "try searching noob!"

2. Last weekend I decided to try and install NITDroid. I started at the wiki, which made it seem easy enough just 2 steps...even I should be able to do that. But then when I actually got down to it, there was stuff about this flashing a custom eMMC and a link to download that...but when I go search to figure out how to flash the eMMC I see some posts saying that if you flash eMMC you also need to flash rootfs? So do I need also a custom rootfs, and where do I get that? Even simple things like instructions that say download to your MyDocs folder, and then you go into the File Manager and you can't see any such thing...there is a folder called Documents, surely that's what they mean? You don't know how long it took me before I figured out that MyDocs is the root of the N900 folder. I'm sure these are obvious to most everyone here, ubt they were not that obvious to me. And a couple of hour project turned into a 1 and a half day project of reading instead of doing the mopping like I should have been.
Charlatan! You are no noob, you have been searching and learning!

Legendary noobs include:

seanmckean
yassirific
trisha02
zurrain101
orangebox

I am afraid you just don't have what it takes to join the ranks of the noob squad, you are trying to hard to solve your own issues. However if you fail to knuckle down, take positive steps to not-apply yourself and in no circumstances search for any information you need you may still have a shot at joining the ranks of spanner and becoming immortalised in the great drinking halls of fail.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
s/frasing/phrasing/

Please use a spell-checker for similar misspellings as I think it undermines and detaches from your statements.

Sincerely, Dan.
Let's get one thing clear, not spelling correctly or not using spellchecking when posting does not detach you from your statement. On the other hand when using sarcasm, irony, faul language and such do detach you from your statement cause you're hiding behind it and not stating what you really feel. Sarcasm is just demeaning wrapped in a bad joke and the receiver will feel demeaned no matter what.
Sarcasm is a way to avoid a conflict and not truly state what you mean and make the other person feel stupid. Most people wont recognize this and will leave with a bad feeling inside, but they're not truly aware why, cause the person who did it delivered it with 'humor' and a smile.
You targeting me with your statement makes you target a lot of people here on TMO that doesn't spell correctly nor use spellchecking.
I find your post demeaning and I recent that, if you disagree with my points of view please state why with some valid arguments and not this kind of behavior.
There's a big difference in the statement you made against me and the statement i made regarding vi_'s post.
Your post seem to me as a personal attack and not about anything else whereas mine to vi_ was a wish/suggestion.

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Last edited by Dousan; 2012-05-27 at 10:48. Reason: missing words...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Eh, Dousan, I really thought that Danramos' comment was a tongue-in-cheek and did not mean to look down on you or anything. Rather, I took it as an expression that we are all different people with different tastes and as such he considered your request to vi_ (which I think you meant seriously) to be comparable with the one he just did

I just bumped into a posting I did on the 17th, basically stating the opposite of what you stated here, and yet i believe we do not really disagree.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=365

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
Eh, Dousan, I really thought that Danramos' comment was a tongue-in-cheek and did not mean to look down on you or anything. Rather, I took it as an expression that we are all different people with different tastes and as such he considered your request to vi_ (which I think you meant seriously) to be comparable with the one he just did

I just bumped into a posting I did on the 17th, basically stating the opposite of what you stated here, and yet i believe we do not really disagree.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=365
I see your point Anthonie, it might be what danramos ment, could be me reading his post wrongly, though I don't think so.

About your link. There's a difference between misspelling and deliberately using unreadable language such as some people does (sms kind of writing e.g. U=You Dat=that and so on). Also people who doesn't explain their problem in more than a few words that could mean anything falls under your link, but occasionally misspelling does not and in that light danramos statement does not affect me but rather the ones you speak of in your link and here I would agree with danramos that it will undermine and detach you from your statement.

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Last edited by Dousan; 2012-05-27 at 11:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by Dousan View Post
...the receiver will feel demeaned no matter what...make the other person feel stupid...will leave with a bad feeling inside...
why did you say all this like it is a bad thing?

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-05-27 at 13:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
Well, true as that is, it is in no way a unique situation for this board, because almost every website out there has a crappy search engine (which is not that strange to begin with). to begin with. Especially the forum boards like this.

But how difficult can it be to type a
Code:
site:sitename "some search term"
and use google?
As I just finished pointing out, I do. Also, you just re-stated the same instructions I provided in the post you quoted. Perhaps you should consult with your optometrist. It appears you may be going myopic or blind. Seriously, take care of that.

Here's some free advice for you: If you intend to reply to someone's post, get yourself into the habit of reading the whole post you're replying to before you make yourself look like a douchebag. ...or... could it be? Elop? Is that you?

Let's get one thing clear, not spelling correctly or not using spellchecking when posting does not detach you from your statement.
But.. you DID say, 'Would wish you would loose the GTFO'. I let loose with the whole GTFO. Or did you mean that your wish he would lose it? To tell someone to loose something means something very different from telling someone to lose something. Communication CAN be very important!

On the other hand when using sarcasm, irony, faul language and such do detach you from your statement cause you're hiding behind it and not stating what you really feel.
I think you meant 'foul' language? You mean like using GTFO? What did you REALLY mean, then? Come on, be honest. I've got a couch here for you to lay down on and a clipboard. The clipboard clearly means I'm being serious.

Sarcasm is just demeaning wrapped in a bad joke and the receiver will feel demeaned no matter what.
Oh really? I had NOOOooo idea! Please.. go on. Tell me more about Sarcasm that I might understand it better.

Sarcasm is a way to avoid a conflict and not truly state what you mean and make the other person feel stupid.
I'm not sure that's always the case. Wait... are you being sarcastic right now?

Most people wont recognize this and will leave with a bad feeling inside, but they're not truly aware why, cause the person who did it delivered it with 'humor' and a smile.
You just described Nokia's last shareholders' meeting. Are you sure you're not being sarcastic?

You targeting me with your statement makes you target a lot of people here on TMO that doesn't spell correctly nor use spellchecking.
Nooo... I'm preeeetty sure 'You targeted me' exclude, by definition, anyone else--especially if the point was made by paraphrasing your own sentences which, I might add, had more than just the one spelling error I pointed out (two if you count the one I just pointed out now in this reply).

I find your post demeaning and I recent that
Well, then let me apologize for you feeling that way. It was clearly unfortunate for you to feel that it was demeaning and for you to.. I think you meant 'resent' that--since 'recent' is how soon you resented it after reading it.

if you disagree with my points of view please state why with some valid arguments and not this kind of behavior.
Are you trying to limit my forms of expression? Should I also refrain from using dangling participles, criticizing citations, and unfortunate illustrations?

There's a big difference in the statement you made against me and the statement i made regarding vi_'s post.
In fact, there really wasn't much difference. So few differences that it was only a few words.

Your post seem to me as a personal attack and not about anything else whereas mine to vi_ was a wish/suggestion.

Regards Dousan...
Once again, I'm sorry you felt that way and that's unfortunate for you. I urge you to use a spellchecker (most web browsers have one built in) to help you feel less insulted and to feel a little more accepted and tolerated on your journey through the Internet. Be well.

Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2012-05-27 at 11:44. Reason: added a 'you' in there, s/by/my/ (I don't have a cold, honest)

As I just finished pointing out, I do. Also, you just re-stated the same instructions I provided in the post you quoted. Perhaps you should consult with your optometrist. It appears you may be going myopic or blind. Seriously, take care of that.

Here's some free advice for you: If you intend to reply to someone's post, get yourself into the habit of reading the whole post you're replying to before you make yourself look like a douchebag. ...or... could it be? Elop? Is that you?

But.. you DID say, 'Would wish you would loose the GTFO'. I let loose with the whole GTFO. Or did you mean that your wish he would lose it? To tell someone to loose something means something very different from telling someone to lose something. Communication CAN be very important!

I think you meant 'foul' language? You mean like using GTFO? What did you REALLY mean, then? Come on, be honest. I've got a couch here for you to lay down on and a clipboard. The clipboard clearly means I'm being serious.

Oh really? I had NOOOooo idea! Please.. go on. Tell me more about Sarcasm that I might understand it better.

I'm not sure that's always the case. Wait... are you being sarcastic right now?

You just described Nokia's last shareholders' meeting. Are you sure you're not being sarcastic?

Nooo... I'm preeeetty sure 'You targeted me' exclude, by definition, anyone else--especially if the point was made by paraphrasing your own sentences which, I might add, had more than just the one spelling error I pointed out (two if you count the one I just pointed out now in this reply).

Well, then let me apologize for you feeling that way. It was clearly unfortunate for you to feel that it was demeaning and for you to.. I think you meant 'resent' that--since 'recent' is how soon resented it after reading it.

Are you trying to limit by forms of expression? Should I also refrain from using dangling participles, criticizing citations, and unfortunate illustrations?

In fact, there really wasn't much difference. So few differences that it was only a few words.

Once again, I'm sorry you felt that way and that's unfortunate for you. I urge you to use a spellchecker (most web browsers have one built in) to help you feel less insulted and to feel a little more accepted and tolerated on your journey through the Internet. Be well.

Oh...My...God...

DanRANTOS detected! Open fire, all weapons, women and children to the bunkers!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:

Tags
dirty jokes, douchecopters, dousan=hero!, internet scorn, intolerance, just stupid, litenup francis, welikeitourway