Active Topics

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
@vi_ very good point in your post, nicely put with good humor.

Would wish you would loose the GTFO and such fraising as i think it undermines and detach you from your statements.

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
I fully agree with you their vi_ (and with many other comments in this thread too). Only this morning there was a new user asking for the location to the n900's flashing guide and you can guess what happened in that thread. This new user was not asking/demanding for others to do his work for him but was wanting the guide so he could learn for himself and yet only one poster actually gave him the link to the wiki.

Maybe this new user "situation" could be eased by making the newbie board more prominent in TMO instead of tucked away at the bottom of talk in the old section? Many forums even place a post restriction for users before being allowed to post in the general boards and although whilst I do not fully agree with this, I do see the benefit of giving the new users that garden of freedom to ask frequently asked questions without facing the tigers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@MINKIN2: ORLY? Do a google search for "n900 flash" and check which is the first link in the result (at least here, BB is watching me after all)

@vi_: LOL. Once you promised me booze and hookers. Well, I give up on them if you make posts like that once or twice a week.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
[...] if [the N9] was the mass market device it was intended to be.
totally agree with your post (the [...] part) but have to disagree with your final statement.
N9 & MeeGo / Harmattan always was a research project
that the N9 eventually (as the 1st Maemo device) has a noticeable commercial success is coincidental
which doesn't mean the devices should not be sold, of course

Last edited by misterc; 2012-05-26 at 13:56. Reason: Hildon vs Maemo

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
@MINKIN2: ORLY? Do a google search for "n900 flash" and check which is the first link in the result (at least here, BB is watching me after all).
I know, it does seem obvious for those of us in the know,

However there is still the generation of Web2.0 users who still do not understand the accepted internet etiquette outside of their Facebook page and that's why I also made the point of making the newbie board more visible. It should not be a free pass for lunacy but a place for them to learn the ways of our boards without being lynched on in their very first post

Oh, and please do not mistake me for claiming that all newbies have the mentality of the fb mothers tea party group I understand that we all have varying degrees of experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
when we're talking about moderators - time to kill this thread?
Your post proves why the opening post makes this a worthwhile thread and you should allow freedom of speech here instead of trying to control by your comments.

Well said Reggie and thanks for once again allowing freedom of speech and welcoming this thread.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by specc View Post
I don't think you get it actually. What you are talking about is the degree of knowledge/research/experience behind your preference. An average fanboy may not have coherent and well funded reasons for his preferences, but that does not make his preferences less worth for him than your preferences for you. A preference is a preference, it doesn't matter if it is founded on science or pure emotion or something entirely different.

I give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe you are not a fanboy, but you are elitist. Elitists are every bit as hostile in all their eloquence as the rudest and most outspoken fanboy, they are just two versions of the same kind. Sort of like a pickpocket and a white collar thug, they are both criminals.
Sorry but I didn't try to convince you to prefer linux in your phone. I was just explaining why I do. As I am a lot into smartphones everyone in friends and family circles has been asking for advice as to what phone he should get. Since this season last year I have recommended 1 Galaxy S, 1 Nokia 701, 1 Galaxy Ace, 1 N900, 1 Galaxy s3, 1 zte blade, 1 iphone, 1 E7. Of course I stick with maemo because that is what I like. I don't expect anybody else to like it and I won't get offended if somebody tells me my N900 is slow (which it is). I can stand slowness because I reap other benefits.

It's not about experience and knowledge. I want to have the time on the lockscreen more than anything, the other guy wants to post his pictures to facebook right after he takes them. None of us is a fanboy. If he tells me I am an idiot for not wanting to share my pics on facebook then maybe he is.

As stated before the fanboy will take personal offence when somebody finds a fault to his device. By your definition in order not to be a fanboy or elitist I have to accept that the best device for me is not what I chose. That's a bit schizophrenic.

@misterc Put a fullstop after the word device. My point was irrelevant to the intention of Nokia. What I mean is that now we have security through obscurity, and very few people would make the effort to develop a malware for the N9. But should it was more massively sold, and having seen that aegis is only good at limiting our freedoms and not the possible abusing behavior of apps I would be scared that every app I download has access to all data stored in the phone plus (limited) root access.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
[...]

@misterc Put a fullstop after the word device. My point was irrelevant to the intention of Nokia. What I mean is that now we have security through obscurity, and very few people would make the effort to develop a malware for the N9. But should it was more massively sold, and having seen that aegis is only good at limiting our freedoms and not the possible abusing behavior of apps I would be scared that every app I download has access to all data stored in the phone plus (limited) root access.
totally agree
think you just forgot the one aspect of GNU / Linux that makes it... GNU (the freedom to share & improve software)... source code
i don't think we get the source code of the OVI apps, but, well, hopefully NOKIA does some checking on those, right ?!?
and anything else, well... if you don't get the source code... don't even download it

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Dousan View Post
@vi_ very good point in your post, nicely put with good humor.

Would wish you would loose the GTFO and such fraising as i think it undermines and detach you from your statements.

Regards Dousan...
s/frasing/phrasing/

Please use a spell-checker for similar misspellings as I think it undermines and detaches from your statements.

Sincerely, Dan.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Perhaps the real problem is that the majority of people here HATE noobs. Cannot stand them. They are the scum of the low. They should be forced to wear yellow stars and housed in intellectual ghettos. They demand sh**, they refuse to learn, they do not understand the most rudimentary of instructions and they never say thanks. Ban them. Ban them all. Ban them from the internet and cut off their thumbs so they cannot breed.

Newbies on the other hand. I love newbies (and boobies, however that is a whole different discussion for a whole different forum). We all love them. They are these people who do not understand a particular thing yet they are trying their damned hardest to figure it out. They post their cheesey scripts and say 'hay guys, how come my script does not work?'. We fall on them like hungry seagulls, devouring their problematic foodstuffs. We point them to the correct resources and usually write the script for them. Seriously, you pose a good noodle scratcher and your un-completed solution, people will take huge amounts of their personal time to help you.

These guys represent they way we were once. Young, free and optimistic un-constrained by the weighty mental burden of regex or knowledge that a perfectly good, cumbersome solution could be 'improved' upon with an AWK one liner. These people allow us the joy of learning the low hanging fruits again; vicariously through them.
I'm much closer to a noob than a newbie. I've been here awhile, but I'm just a regular old user with no ability to code, and limited interest in learning (it's on my general list of nice to do someday, along with learning another language and playing an instrument, but that's the kind of list that tends to get put off for ordinary life too often). I bought my N800 practically by accident, and grew to love it. My N900 is much newer to me, and I'm not quite sure about it yet. What I know is that I've been spending a lot of time, including time that I really should be working, trying to get it setup properly.

That's OK, I knew that going into getting this device, and I still think overall it's a better fit for me than Android or iOS. That being said, a couple of observations about the forum from a user like me.

1. Search sucks. Last weekend I stumbled upon a post in a Gpodder thread mentioning trouble playing all episodes, an issue I was also having. I didn't have time to really read the entire 50 odd page thread last weekend to see if there was a solution to his problem, but tried again today. Searching the forum for gpodder and "play all" returns zero results. OK, try Google instead. get a few results, but nothing relevant. Try using Google to search just talk.maemo.org, still nothing. Spent about an hour all and all trying to find one post, that I knew wasn't going to solve my issue...but thought at least I could point to that post as something I was trying to do, and hoped I wouldn't be accused of not searching. Never ended up finding it. Somehow I ended up finding a completely different thread with a similar question. But this thread didn't show up in my forum search even though it had the exact search string in the post. (side note: one of the most frustrating things in the world is searching to try to find a solution to your problem, and coming up with 5 posts from people who have the same problem, and the only replies are things like "try searching noob!"

2. Last weekend I decided to try and install NITDroid. I started at the wiki, which made it seem easy enough just 2 steps...even I should be able to do that. But then when I actually got down to it, there was stuff about this flashing a custom eMMC and a link to download that...but when I go search to figure out how to flash the eMMC I see some posts saying that if you flash eMMC you also need to flash rootfs? So do I need also a custom rootfs, and where do I get that? Even simple things like instructions that say download to your MyDocs folder, and then you go into the File Manager and you can't see any such thing...there is a folder called Documents, surely that's what they mean? You don't know how long it took me before I figured out that MyDocs is the root of the N900 folder. I'm sure these are obvious to most everyone here, ubt they were not that obvious to me. And a couple of hour project turned into a 1 and a half day project of reading instead of doing the mopping like I should have been.

Last edited by dylanemcgregor; 2012-05-27 at 00:40.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dylanemcgregor For This Useful Post:

Tags
dirty jokes, douchecopters, dousan=hero!, internet scorn, intolerance, just stupid, litenup francis, welikeitourway