Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by canada900 View Post
As a fellow Canadian I hope the new man in charge of nokia will finally wake up the company from its flawed and unrealistic dream. In the end there will be NO MORE than two competitors in the OS market. I know they've invested alot in meego and have to follow through with it, but when it unfortunately fails to capture significant market share and developer support I hope nokia will finally realize its strength and focus in on it - HARDWARE. Embrace the top OS and the one with the most potential (android) and pump out superior phones and take this company to its proper place of market leader. Its embarassing to see new commers in the cel phone market capitalize on nokias foolish mistakes. I mean really, Symbian? its almost 2011.
Are you on crack? You must be.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Symbian actually originated from Psion's PDA OS (EPOC). I owned various PDAs from the company and have to say at the time the software was way more advanced than it's competitors (whose hardware were usually "better"). It even had it's own version of BASIC.

I think EPOC was sold to Nokia & Sony Ericcson and became Symbian?

The one stand-out feature of Symbian is that it requires modest hardware to run and is ideal for "budget" handsets.

My wife owns a "Music Xpress 5800" and she is very happy with it - that was a year and a half ago. But she wants something a little more powerful. She says she wants a "proper" web browser, more apps and a "faster" device so she is thinking of an android phone.

The problem is there is an overlap now between Symbian and a smartphone OS like maemo or meego. Users demanding more from the software means more powerful devices have to be manufactured. This raises the question of why install Symbian when the device can quite happily run a linux-based OS with all the flexibility that comes with it.

Nokia's stratagy is fine
1) keep selling your "bread & butter" devices - cheap to make and software maintanence is low. Sell these at high volume - perfect for Symbian.

2) compete in the high-end smartphone market - feature-rich hardware and OS is flexible enough for power users. May not be as high-volume but make more money per device. Perfect for Linux-based OS

If you want a high end phone then buy the N8.

If you want a high end device then wait for meego-based device or buy something like android.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
The whole issue of people shouting about the screen lagging in the new video of the lady with the fingers is foolish.

When Nokia had the resistave screen (the best one) on the N900 then we had Engadget's very own Joshua Topolsky show off the N900 and trying the most lightest finger skin touches on the screen and saying how the resistive screen does not respond well.

Now that Nokia brings a capacitive screen we have a lady doing crazy random nail based touches on the screen and saying how it does not respond well.

So tell me whats new ? These things happen all the time. Its called bias. Use a device yoursel and then judge it and buy it based on your feelings, not some random biased observation.
I can't comment on the lady with the nails, but if anyone has seen the bit with Josh Topolsky with the n900, and the way he expects the resistive screen to respond; it is both sad and funny.

Imagine the way you would pet a small kitten; now make that about 10x of a lighter stroke. That's what Topolsky was doing =D

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by bugelrex
What makes you think S^4 would be any better...
One phrase comes to mind how Symbian^4 will be better... higher resolutions.

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
take a look at this video of the same lady demonstrating on another massive Nokia Symbian product:
the X3 touch and type.

she is just as punishing on it, but the system kept up with it well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVJ552BNeKY
Odd an X3 would keep up, whereas a N8 didn't.

Originally Posted by canada900 View Post
As a fellow Canadian I hope the new man in charge of nokia will finally wake up the company from its flawed and unrealistic dream. In the end there will be NO MORE than two competitors in the OS market. I know they've invested alot in meego and have to follow through with it, but when it unfortunately fails to capture significant market share and developer support I hope nokia will finally realize its strength and focus in on it - HARDWARE. Embrace the top OS and the one with the most potential (android) and pump out superior phones and take this company to its proper place of market leader. Its embarassing to see new commers in the cel phone market capitalize on nokias foolish mistakes. I mean really, Symbian? its almost 2011.
I mean really, WinXP? It's almost 2011.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on May 2010 @ limassol cyprus
Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
I don't think i'll be able to go back to Symbian, Maemo has spoiled me.
Maemo has spoiled me so much that i compare it to every phone, even netbook, out there! love my baby so much.... no one else is allowed to touch it!

Symbian may be great and yes Nokia cannot give up on earth when it is the market share king. But I was under the impression that Nokia had realised that the high end was where the big profit was. It is all very well selling a billion $10 phones and having super revenues but that did not bring in super profits.

My view is that symbian is not suited for high end touch screen phones. I thought Nokia had come to this conclusion when they said N8 would be the last N series symbian device. Then it became the last symbian 3 N series device. Then it became it may not even be the last symbian 3 N series device.

Symbian is boring no matter how great it may be. People with £500 to spend see the flashy Galaxy devices, HTCs, iphone 4 and symbian devices and one of these has one heck of an ugly interface compared to the others. Of course that one is going to lose out other than those who just simply want a Nokia device (but at this price very few such people still exist). But it is with these £500 devices where the real profits are and it is there that Nokia is losing out to its competitors.

N8 should have been a maemo 5 device. Then the E7, etc should have been symbian 3. Nokia already had its pretty operating system. It just foolishly abandoned it. Yes many will buy N8 with boring symbian for its super camera but so many more would have bought it for its pretty interface if it had maemo 5.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
For gods sake guys. I really dont give a **** about how great or **** Symbian is.

What I want to know is if the N8 is worth buying, and if Symbian on the N8 is stable good and most importantly FAST!

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
For gods sake guys. I really dont give a **** about how great or **** Symbian is.

What I want to know is if the N8 is worth buying, and if Symbian on the N8 is stable good and most importantly FAST!

Well, you should give a ****, as the N8 is the first Symbian^3 phone...

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post

Well you could try that somewhere else, since this thread is just a flame fest.

The Register has a 3 page hands-on article.
http://www.reghardware.com/2010/06/1...a_n8_hands_on/

And here's a 8 minute HD-video hands on. It's C7, but that runs the same S^3 as N8.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFNeJ...layer_embedded

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post: