Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Symbian is a good OS and has proven itself. Nothing wrong for NOKIA to have two major platforms. I will likely get E7 and N9 in the future. NOKIA phones just look and feel right. So does iphone. Blackberry quality is utter disgrace. so are most of the other smartphones....and just like good looking watches oversell the ugly ducklings, so do smartphones

The whole issue of people shouting about the screen lagging in the new video of the lady with the fingers is foolish.

When Nokia had the resistave screen (the best one) on the N900 then we had Engadget's very own Joshua Topolsky show off the N900 and trying the most lightest finger skin touches on the screen and saying how the resistive screen does not respond well.

Now that Nokia brings a capacitive screen we have a lady doing crazy random nail based touches on the screen and saying how it does not respond well.

So tell me whats new ? These things happen all the time. Its called bias. Use a device yoursel and then judge it and buy it based on your feelings, not some random biased observation.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
Ericsson 380 and Nokia 9210 at 66 MHz I think. Even the P1i from 2007 only has a 200 MHz CPU.
Yup, the 9210 had a 66Mhz CPU (Btw, look at the keyboard on that beauty!), And the Nokia 3600/3650 had 104Mhz (and some more models in the same "class")...

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
I was also considering the n8 looks cool does almost everything I wanted from my n900. But after using meamo for almost a year i don't think I can go back and use a nokia again.

It is just a mater chance but someone (please Samsung, HP, LG, Motorola, HTC) is destine to create a phone that will run SSH with a WVGA 4" screen that has an auto focus camera and neon flash with USB OTG, and a PIM that sports Task descriptions. I don't think it will be nokia, but I will pay the first manufacturer about $600 who does and I will throw in lots of free marketing.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
it didnt want to work, did it??? FAIL

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
The whole issue of people shouting about the screen lagging in the new video of the lady with the fingers is foolish.
Nokia is fair enough to have this lady demonstrate the phones so we can have an idea of how far the devices can be stressed.
At least she is experienced enough to still call this "smooth"

When we expect people to behave to accommodate the hardware and software limits of consumer devices at all times that will sign the end of evolution in interface ergonomics.

One day I have witnessed such a personality (iPhone and Symbian backup owner) using my N900 and after pinch zooming 10 times in vain -at that moment I expected the worst verdict for my N900- but she recovered from her ADHD crisis and instantly discovered the function to zoom pictures with the volume control, which is good.

But honestly - in stress situations we can't expect users to be well educated and merciful in their behaviors towards their IT related devices.

So I second a previous poster: Symbian shows his superiority in battery life. Let's not overlook this tradition of this fine OS.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
commenting on the N8 Ms. Blue Nails fail video, why do the N8 have that silly slide bare on the right side of the menu? because its symbian???

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Originally Posted by efekt View Post
Yup, the 9210 had a 66Mhz CPU (Btw, look at the keyboard on that beauty!), And the Nokia 3600/3650 had 104Mhz (and some more models in the same "class")...
First Nokia S60 device, the 7650, ran on a 104mhz cpu and 4MB of available ram and if memory serves me correct 8MB in total. Played DOOM on it flawlessly

EDIT: 4MB total RAM, about 3;4MB available to user.

Last edited by patlak; 2010-09-21 at 01:57.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ CANADA
As a fellow Canadian I hope the new man in charge of nokia will finally wake up the company from its flawed and unrealistic dream. In the end there will be NO MORE than two competitors in the OS market. I know they've invested alot in meego and have to follow through with it, but when it unfortunately fails to capture significant market share and developer support I hope nokia will finally realize its strength and focus in on it - HARDWARE. Embrace the top OS and the one with the most potential (android) and pump out superior phones and take this company to its proper place of market leader. Its embarassing to see new commers in the cel phone market capitalize on nokias foolish mistakes. I mean really, Symbian? its almost 2011.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
The Nokia E7 looks great! But my N900 is still a keeper.