Posts: 225 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ some where on earth
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Try here. 30 odd people actually bothered to say they had nothing to bother them. In places like this you will always see a higher density of problems, because the people without problems don't post. So that's a pretty startling thread.
thank you man! now i'm going to update my n900 after reading that, i see where some people went wrong,I'll post my out come and steps i took before up dating just to help others

"Don't worry about whats said in these threads. "

No, many people make their choice of phone/device based on forums like this. They are influenced by the number of negative posts and by general, unspecific complaints.

And,we care how many people buy the N900 because the more that buy, the more likely there are people making apps for the device or improvements.

So, it, unfortunately, not helpful to ignore.

This does not mean of course we post happy threads only; we want improvements and we want even potential buyers to know what's what, including what's currently wrong.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
I think some people brick their devices themselves. The update takes time, and doesn't show progress immediately. When the N900 is doing the update, the user freaks and disconnects the battery or the USB cable, bricking the device.

I'm just saying this because I do not have none of the failures or problems described here or elsewhere. And I have used the device a lot, I have used extras-testing and installed and uninstalled almost every available software. At first I tried the OTA update, but my device couldn't do it (prob. incompatible packages left somewhere), so I backed up on the device (to microsdhc) and flashed it (I tried to manually update via apt-get, no go). After the succesful (vista32) flash with NSU I restored the backup which worked flawlessly, re-installed all my software automatically via wifi, and even returned my background images as they were.

So what I'm saying is that not everybody has problems with the device. And from experience I can say that user interference is not so uncommon. I don't want to blame the users for their problems, but Nokia should really have more emphasis on the 'somewhat experimental device' side of the N900.

Last edited by Mandibela; 2010-01-16 at 19:43.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Sadavyk View Post
Today must be the saddest day in maemo history
after this update or this PR1.1 death trap really what the F
I'm I the only one looking at the Active Topics? its crazy, good thing
this site is not linked to Gizmodo or Engadget it would not look good at all, sorry I come as a big dick but for $500 2 $600 maemo shouldn't have these screwed up bugs,
yes bugs in the updated this is just f*cking dumb someone should be
FIRED!!!!!!!!
as sad as iPhones 3.1 update? only difference is that iPhone users very probably had more issues with 3.1 than n900 with PR1.1....

e: I installed PR1.1 via apt-get, ran out of disk space in the middle of operation but managed to get installation through after reboot... no problems.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-01-16 at 21:28.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
My update went perfect, most the problems are caused by people not taking warnings serious about Extras-devel
Did apple do this?
NOPE
But they did this and are getting sued again, Kodak will be raking it in for sure they won an exact law suite v Samsung already
My update went perfect, and I'm one of the people who didn't take warnings serious about Extras-devel.

Moral: There's no justice.