Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
People registered? Your userid is 26829. HWKB, who said he just recently registered, is 53648. Most recently registered user is 53729 Should we include lurkers as well? How do you count people who these 53648 users influence heavily in their handset choice (friends, family etc.).

so, the people who wants a hwkb on this forum are round about 990.
At least 53191.
at least there will be enough N9/50 for all of us.

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
DID anything at all happened that could be termed 'exciting news'?

Huge thread and great deal of speculations and guesses, is there anything real that Nokia has announced ?

I was expected something world changing really ...

YES, I love the hardware keyboard on my N900 so would like to see on my next phone - n9/50 or N990 (n990 sounds better)?

Last edited by vivmak; 2011-05-24 at 10:42.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by vivmak View Post
DID anything at all happened that could be termed 'exciting news'?

Huge thread and great deal of speculations and guesses, is there anything real that Nokia has announced ?

I was expected something world changing really ...

YES, I love the hardware keyboard on my N900 so would like to see on my next phone - n9/50 or N990 (n990 sounds better)?
I think the only things concrete are the FCC report, the Jessie's Girl teaser and Nokia sorta confirming the teaser.

There are tons of screencaps from the teaser lying around, for example on The Nokia blog
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by mece View Post
I think the only things concrete are the FCC report, the Jessie's Girl teaser and Nokia sorta confirming the teaser.

There are tons of screencaps from the teaser lying around, for example on The Nokia blog
Those screems in the video sounded like the N900 owners came together and were watching Michael Jackson singing ' I'm bad I'm bad ' or a reincarnation of a holy soul LOL.

Thanks for this update mece.

2500+ comments, high concentration of rumors and speculations.. people almost started killing each other in waiting mysterious N9 ...

.. and still nothing -_-

Maybe we should try to sacrifice few iPhone users for goddess Nokia ? :3

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Amyako For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by keflex View Post
Understandable, however for argument's sake, let's say that had Nokia continued with their original plan, they would fail. Surely it is better to have a Nokia who offers marginal MeeGo support rather than no Nokia at all? Regardless of whether you think this would have happened, if you assume it as inevitable then the choice made by Nokia's board (read: more people than just Elop) was the correct one.

To be honest, I have no issue with voicing one's opinion about such things. For many people this stuff is very dear to them, and I get it. But assuming Nokia employees even browse this board anymore, do you think all the petulant name-calling and death-wishing is sending the best impression? Use your heads, guys.
I don't want to sound offensive, but your post here strikes me as being a tad naive. You propose that Nokia's decisions have all been done in good faith and after weighing all odds.

However, business is a very, very dirty game. And bribery plays a huge part in it, on a daily basis. Even in my field (medicine) there is lots of bribery going on, why would you think business was immune? It's actually much worse.

Nokia's previous strategy (greatly improving Symbian, heavy investment in MeeGo) was the most sensible of them all. Why? Because there is a HUGE installed base of Symbian users, there is a quickly developing appstore (Ovi) and the brand recognition of Nokia is unmatched in the world. All that needed was some improvement in the UI department and further development of Symbian and MeeGo and Qt. In other words, capitalizing on the inherent STRENGTHS that Nokia already had.

The current one is a pure gamble and offers nothing of value to Nokia as an independent company. WP7 is a fiasco, Microsoft is notoriously slow at delivering updates (as much flak as Nokia had to take for it, they were actually faster with them). Worst of all, it eliminates Nokia as a CONTENDER AMONG THE OS DEVELOPERS. That's it, Nokia has become an OEM with little to no say in it.

What do you call a duellist that drops his sword in the middle of a fight? I'd call him an idiot, at best.

So no, Nokia would NOT have failed in its former strategy (provided the effort was the same). If anything, it would have succeeded much more than this WP gamble ever can. So in my opinion the logical faults are on your side, friend

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to saldas For This Useful Post:
These days WP phone is looking more and more unpromising: unstable, too many features but buggy, non proving, unattractive to end users / consumers.

Nokia needs to launch a flagship product such as N9 to regain user confidence and technology leadership, although it may not be sold in high volumns, at least it will attract lots of public focus.

Originally Posted by Brock View Post
yes, remember, from the beginning nokia told us that they wont give us meego for n900. also before elop came in... and now we will get a meego de with the help of nokia... thats a big step in my eyes...
[...]
could also be the keyboard equipped device for developers, no?

Originally Posted by saldas View Post
I don't want to sound offensive, but your post here strikes me as being a tad naive. You propose that Nokia's decisions have all been done in good faith and after weighing all odds.

However, business is a very, very dirty game. And bribery plays a huge part in it, on a daily basis. Even in my field (medicine) there is lots of bribery going on, why would you think business was immune? It's actually much worse.

Nokia's previous strategy (greatly improving Symbian, heavy investment in MeeGo) was the most sensible of them all. Why? Because there is a HUGE installed base of Symbian users, there is a quickly developing appstore (Ovi) and the brand recognition of Nokia is unmatched in the world. All that needed was some improvement in the UI department and further development of Symbian and MeeGo and Qt. In other words, capitalizing on the inherent STRENGTHS that Nokia already had.

The current one is a pure gamble and offers nothing of value to Nokia as an independent company. WP7 is a fiasco, Microsoft is notoriously slow at delivering updates (as much flak as Nokia had to take for it, they were actually faster with them). Worst of all, it eliminates Nokia as a CONTENDER AMONG THE OS DEVELOPERS. That's it, Nokia has become an OEM with little to no say in it.

What do you call a duellist that drops his sword in the middle of a fight? I'd call him an idiot, at best.

So no, Nokia would NOT have failed in its former strategy (provided the effort was the same). If anything, it would have succeeded much more than this WP gamble ever can. So in my opinion the logical faults are on your side, friend
You could write a book of Symbians failures. In 2008 Symian was meant to have major overhaul, but supposedly stopped by Symbian Foundation that brought companies that where not really interested and slower decission making so that aged OS looked even more old.
I mean Palm has bern faster to transform than Nokia.

Symbian was going to be dead one way or another, this was one of them.If your home market(Europe) isn't buying them you are in the deep side of the pool already.

If Nokia would have made the strategy clear, inspired the company and made real decissions to one direction 2-3 years ago things might be different, but Nokia still had small window() of time left when the company is still relevant in west and thankfully did it.

It's not what i or the linux community wanted, but at least they still have slight change of staying in the industry rather than having slow dead and no change of having any weight to make a difference next year.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Alee View Post
what is this guy holding in his hand? could it be?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thp4/57...l-1658881@N24/
(to Alee: this is not a personal attack, just wondering...)

is this picture really about THE DEVICE?
or is it just a friendly group of ppl having a good time together @, what do i know, a conf. room in Hyaat which is clearly visible in the background.
wouldn't the smart phone be "more central" if it was about the device?

just wondering...

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland