Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Is the OP still correct though, or will the newer VLC not be designed to work well with the N900?

Originally Posted by redenisc View Post
Beware that you are quoting the VLC 1.1.0 changelog here. VLC 1.0.3 does not work on N900 or not well at all.
Yes, we are aware of it.
The confusion exist because along with the changes of the 1.0.3 at the same changelog they put also the changes/improvements for the v1.1.

In any case 1.0.3 is now complete and 1.1 is the next version coming.

edit:
I found this VLC Media Player v1.1 base port for Nokia N900 / Maemo 5

Last edited by nMIK-3; 2009-11-02 at 20:29.

Originally Posted by joppu View Post
1. No need.
2. Are you saying that it's the same thing as 1.6Ghz VIA C-7M?
1- Ok.
2- In a logic way (one cpu vs one cpu) it is the same but mine would be only faster by 200mhz but in performance it isn't. You can't compare cpu's in this way.
Anyway, to get into the point. Last time I used VLC on my intel m (celeron) It didn't have any problem with it (&this was with an old vlc version) so can be compared with your VIA CPU.

Just before hitting "Submit Reply" , I want to tell it wasn't really necessary to post all your screenshots to tell us that you dont like VLC.
Please don't consider any given "Thanks" by this user as a positive sign of grateful; as a leak of giving "-Thanks" is a leaked feature here. You might be rewarded by meaningless "Thanks" by this user.
-Thanks for your understanding

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by f(x) View Post
1- Win7 & vlc will work the same under Linux
Since we've taken it there, can you tell me how to integrate the video output into the control UI in Linux? In Windows, it works just right, but on Linux Mint, it gives the video output in a separate window from the playback controls. I tried adjusting the settings, but no cigar. It really annoys me.

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Since we've taken it there, can you tell me how to integrate the video output into the control UI in Linux? In Windows, it works just right, but on Linux Mint, it gives the video output in a separate window from the playback controls. I tried adjusting the settings, but no cigar. It really annoys me.
That's surely because how farly inferior it is compared to MPlayer. sudo apt-get install smplayer, you'll be surprised in a positive way.

Originally Posted by f(x) View Post
Just before hitting "Submit Reply" , I want to tell it wasn't really necessary to post all your screenshots to tell us that you dont like VLC.
Of course it was necessary! I just have to tell the world I'm right!

VLC being a horrendous piece of sofware isn't just my opinion, it's a fact.

Last edited by joppu; 2009-11-03 at 12:23.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Use the same version as the one that works for you on Windows... probably anything 1.0.0 or later.

ok, I think I didn't understand what you mean here.

VLC should looks like this (This screenshot from linuxmint.com) and you can install it from here http://linuxmint.com/software/files/7/vlc.mint

If I get it right, you just played with your vlc settings. Go to tools->performance-> 1- Click on reset or 2- check the box "Embed video in interface" *you will find it in interface section*

if you are talking about making a desktop (like no3) for vlc then you just go to desktop#3 and start vlc with full screen + with compiz you can notice it will be as part a big cube (if you enabled that plugin)

That's it
Please don't consider any given "Thanks" by this user as a positive sign of grateful; as a leak of giving "-Thanks" is a leaked feature here. You might be rewarded by meaningless "Thanks" by this user.
-Thanks for your understanding

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Your advice is dead on, but the effect isn't the same. It STILL outputs to a separate window. Not sure why. I installed right from Synaptic, so not sure what the deal is.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Just wanted to note that VLC on my Ubuntu machine also shows a separate video window by default, so Chris isn't imagining things here...

@christexaport Are you using Ubuntu 9.04? The Ubuntu folks messed up on that one such that it uses a separate window. This is not the case in 8.04, 8.10, or 9.10.

Tags
fact from fiction, imagination, multimediatard