Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Well, in this case its MKV. Also notice the double subtitle.

Totem would tell you about a plugin available to download to play the content. A rather nice and useful feature IMO.

I think in latest Ubuntu version you even can buy Fluendo codec packs directly from Ubuntu.
Yes it would, but then it wouldn't find anything thus wasting your time. =P

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
You can capture streams with UNIX pipes, MPlayer, and 101 dvb utilities.

You don't want 10 video players because fragmentation is a Bad Thing. Even _if_ you're OK with that, you don't want too much double/triple work. Which is why you want a modular design.

Which is precisely the problem with everything in one monolithic application: 1) bloat 2) others cannot reuse 3) when you don't want to use that application you're fscked.
This, and the rest of your long argumentation is based on the wrong assumption that VLC is a stand-alone media player.

VLC is a media playback and streaming library and a set of user interfaces (Qt4, Cocoa, HTTP, ncurses and CLI). Whether you use the built-in user interface or just the library with another front-end is up to you - VLC has some GTK front-ends by the way (I never tried them so don't ask me more).

Some years ago, gstreamer guys decided to invent a forth major OSS media framework (in addition to Xine-lib, ffmpeg and LibVLC) instead of improving any of the existing ones. I can see several reasons why they chose that path: First, it's always easier to start a new project with your own code than to learn to extend an existing one. Second, gstreamer is LGPL, which allows proprietary codecs Third, some people want to use glib and gobject. Forth, I guess gstreamer might be more generic, e.g. Farsight supports real-time communications, which is in fact quite different a thing than media playback.

That's all fine, but please don't blame VLC for being not modular. This only exhibits that you don't know what you're talking about. (By the way, over 80% of VLC is code is in modules, or if you count underlying libraries, probably well over 90%...)

As for the set top boxes in France by Free: either its proprietary crap or it uses an open protocol which means other media players also can read (and hence capture) from it.
As far as I know, it's just MPEG-TS over RTP, which is perfectly standard.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redenisc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by nMIK-3 View Post
VLC Player 1.0.3 is about to debut and I spotted the following quote at the official change log:

Looks like VLC Player one of the world's most popular video players is officially coming to Maemo 5!
Beware that you are quoting the VLC 1.1.0 changelog here. VLC 1.0.3 does not work on N900 or not well at all.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redenisc For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
(Just so you know, redenisc is the main Maemo VLC developer)

Originally Posted by f(x) View Post
Edit:
Which anime is that? I think I've watched that one recently but I can't recall the title.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by redenisc View Post
Beware that you are quoting the VLC 1.1.0 changelog here. VLC 1.0.3 does not work on N900 or not well at all.
So the soon to be released VLC revision is not going to work well with the N900 and the original post is incorrect?

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Edit:
That's hardly comparable, first of all it's on Vista and secondly I guess it's on a desktop (?) with dual core processor (?)

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Which anime is that? I think I've watched that one recently but I can't recall the title.
Ever heard of this thing called a "filename"

Last edited by joppu; 2009-11-02 at 18:34.

Ah, hehe didn't know why I didn't think about it. Guess I haven't watched that anime yet then.

Originally Posted by joppu View Post
That's hardly comparable, first of all it's on Vista[1] and secondly I guess it's on a desktop (?) with dual core processor[2] (?)

Ever heard of this thing called a "filename"
1- Win7 & vlc will work the same under Linux (if you want a screen-shot/I will provide it to you)
2- It doesn't mean anything I just set vlc to work only on one processor and I couldn't notice any change in performance.

@Laughing Man: I don't know this anime ,but I also saw many pictures of it (avatars? / signatures?). The only thing I did was searching for its file-name ["Toradora"].
Please don't consider any given "Thanks" by this user as a positive sign of grateful; as a leak of giving "-Thanks" is a leaked feature here. You might be rewarded by meaningless "Thanks" by this user.
-Thanks for your understanding

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
You all might think that I'm a fanatic VLC hater, but let me tell you a story. I first attempted to use VLC a long time ago, it was pre 1.0 version. First thing was that the ***/SSA (styled subtitles) support was horrible. Secondly there was noticeable delay when pausing and pausing also caused the current subtitles disappear. The image scaling was horrible and VLC added some sort of light blur to anything. And the random artifact hell that also occurs after seeking, Well, I uninstalled it almost instantly.

Well then, some time ago they released the 1.0 version that was supposed to be "stable" or "feature complete" version as seen on the version number. Well, I'm delighted to say, that atleast they tried and the ***/SSA support is decent. Their brand new and revolutionary instant pause -feature doesn't work correctly and there is still the delay but this time only in audio. I mean seriously, this thing has been in development in 8 years now and the still don't have proper pause in a media player! Well, the "corrupt image" but still occurs regardless of the file. Well atleast I gave it another chance but I'm still not impressed. Perhaps this VLC thing is for the same people that think Internet Explorer is a good browser because they don't know of better...

****ing censors, A S S is "Advanced SubStation Alpha".

I'll install it on my N900 and I perhaps even might use it if it plays every file flawlessly

1- Win7 & vlc will work the same under Linux (if you want a screen-shot/I will provide it to you)
2- It doesn't mean anything I just set vlc to work only on one processor and I couldn't notice any change in performance.
1. No need.
2. Are you saying that it's the same thing as 1.6Ghz VIA C-7M?

Last edited by joppu; 2009-11-02 at 18:39.

Tags
fact from fiction, imagination, multimediatard