Poll: Are you still with N900 just because you have been tied up in a contract?
Poll Options
Are you still with N900 just because you have been tied up in a contract?

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
I bought my N900 outright, like I do with all my mobile devices.

And now I'm only paying $14.99 /month for $700 cap value and 500MB of included mobile data.
If I ever need more than that I can upgrade to $29.99 for $1000 cap value and 1.5GB of mobile data. Beat that

The best thing about buying outright is that I can change my cap/plan, whenever something better/cheaper comes along.

I don't like being trapped in contracts. And contracts always end up being more expensive in the long run.

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Pandora
Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
I don't like being trapped in contracts. And contracts always end up being more expensive in the long run.
yeah.. i realised aftr gettin trapped.. havin a tough time paying it every month and overall and paying 10 times the value of N900 and the talk time if bought in payg

Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post
You're doing it all wrong. Now you are locked into another 12mo contract where you're paying for a subsidized phone that you no longer use (the DHD). In the end, you're most likely paying more on your monthly service, locked into a new contract, and still using the same old phone (n900) lol...
No you are wrong. You just don't look at the big picture.

I get $650 worth of talk time credits. free unlimited voda to voda calls and all my family are on voda, 2 gig of data with an extra 1 gig thrown in for a total of 3 gig per month. Plus international calling against the cap and unlimited sms.

All for $59.00 a month or a total spend of $708.00 over 12 months.

I can sell the DHD for $800+ on ebay which allows me to recap all my cost and the next 12 months are free.

The Following User Says Thank You to Techark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
And now I'm only paying $14.99 /month for $700 cap value and 500MB of included mobile data.
That sounds rather expensive. I myself have completely unlimited internet at 384kbit/s for 5€ (about $6.9) a month, and 0.90$ a month as regular monthly fees.

Whatever "contract" I have now is with myself. I bought my N900 for $500, and I am on a month-to-month plan. By not being in a contract with my carrier, I save $20/mo.

At the end of my 25-month "contract" with myself, my N900 will have paid itself off and I get a FREE! phone anyway. The top-of-the-line smartphones go for $199 here on contract. In the end, they will have ended up paying $200 more for what was top-of-the-line at the time.

Yes, I am often tempted to switch, but the N900 delivers the best phone for the money right now.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
i paid my way out of a contract with a carrier that didn't offer AWS so i could get the n900 for a higher monthly fee. and i'm happy with that.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North Carolina, USA
No contract, pay as you go. I'm sticking with the N900 for as long as I can. Nothing comes close to the capabilty or power of the N900.

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by WereCatf View Post
That sounds rather expensive. I myself have completely unlimited internet at 384kbit/s for 5€ (about $6.9) a month, and 0.90$ a month as regular monthly fees.
Sorry I forgot to mention that I'm in Australia.
I know that in Europe (I am Portuguese) internet access and mobile data is a lot cheaper and a lot better/faster than in Australia and the US.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Contract vs no contract:

Never talk in absolutes. Do the calculations before determining which one is 'better' or 'cheaper'. Do it right.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ philippines
yeah i was amazed by the as video of n900 and caught my eye during that time was planning to change my phone... now i got mine with no plan. should have waited more for dell streak...tsk... but still i love this phone