Active Topics

With my limited knowledge in all of this, the only thing I can say is:

Compile a kernel with all the stuff and drivers needed to get your Samsung phone fully working, and then go for Nemo (formerly MeeGo, Community Edition, formerly MeeGo, Developers Edition).

Am I right??

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
so its still impossible, *for now??

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
@K9999, agree Maemo 5 will die in the N900 but the illustrations of old hardware do not mean worse when most "improvements" are backed up mostly by PR slogans and I think OP has understood that.

-screen: advantage for internet tablet: unmatched precision input w/o zooming
The only thing that feels old is of course the lack of hard protective coating to the resistive screen.

But the input touch required and precision level is in fact very advanced and I can't wait till this kind of precision input makes a general come back.

-resolution + pixel count: the 4:3 type of screen can display reasonable amount of readable lines.
When you read from close by the sharpness of websites displayed is high enough to create a computer monitor feel of having a filled screen, not some local zoom.
The device remains small enough to be cute and pocket-able thanks to the screen size compromise. This is a size choice, not ageing.

Of course there should have been a 4,3 inch version as well with capacitive higher res wide screen in 2010 to fill the gaps.

-thickness: again can be an advantage over the thin ones, no cramps holding it extended time compared to the N9 where discomfort is even worsened when trying one hand zooming

N900 even has a kickstand now reinvented by Samsung of was it LG.

-multitouch: why you need multitouch if you can do it with one finger?

If Maemo 5 would have implemented that circular movement for zoom system wide instead of browser only everything would be fine.
For most basic operations like zooming single touch is the much most advanced way to work.

And for applications requiring multi touch like gaming or typing: sort out the HW keyboard?

-RAM - disadvantage for N900. More is better, the biggest flaw of the N900 is not having 2GB

I think all Maemo 5 needs is to get rid of the swap partition and put that one in true RAM to rediculize those dual cores.

Until it's done check the N9 for a preview of the multitasking power.

For (getting rid of) dreaming about upgrading the SOC on the N900 this is a nice thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=omap+3430

ibrakalifa, how influential you are at Samsung? Can you go drinking with their local product manager or CEO and battle his prototype to pieces in a one on one showdown of features?

I really believe many decision makers have no idea of what is ultimately possible with an N900. (Elop excepted seen his urge to destroy the philosophy behind it)

Probably they are now busy messing up their next Linux device running Tizen -maybe it is not too late for a 180 and have the Tizen version grow Maemo 5, full hardware?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
@K9999, agree Maemo 5 will die in the N900 but the illustrations of old hardware do not mean worse when most "improvements" are backed up mostly by PR slogans and I think OP has understood that.

-screen: advantage for internet tablet: unmatched precision input w/o zooming
The only thing that feels old is of course the lack of hard protective coating to the resistive screen.

But the input touch required and precision level is in fact very advanced and I can't wait till this kind of precision input makes a general come back.

-resolution + pixel count: the 4:3 type of screen can display reasonable amount of readable lines.
When you read from close by the sharpness of websites displayed is high enough to create a computer monitor feel of having a filled screen, not some local zoom.
The device remains small enough to be cute and pocket-able thanks to the screen size compromise. This is a size choice, not ageing.

Of course there should have been a 4,3 inch version as well with capacitive higher res wide screen in 2010 to fill the gaps.

-thickness: again can be an advantage over the thin ones, no cramps holding it extended time compared to the N9 where discomfort is even worsened when trying one hand zooming

N900 even has a kickstand now reinvented by Samsung of was it LG.

-multitouch: why you need multitouch if you can do it with one finger?

If Maemo 5 would have implemented that circular movement for zoom system wide instead of browser only everything would be fine.
For most basic operations like zooming single touch is the much most advanced way to work.

And for applications requiring multi touch like gaming or typing: sort out the HW keyboard?

-RAM - disadvantage for N900. More is better, the biggest flaw of the N900 is not having 2GB

I think all Maemo 5 needs is to get rid of the swap partition and put that one in true RAM to rediculize those dual cores.

Until it's done check the N9 for a preview of the multitasking power.

For (getting rid of) dreaming about upgrading the SOC on the N900 this is a nice thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=omap+3430

ibrakalifa, how influential you are at Samsung? Can you go drinking with their local product manager or CEO and battle his prototype to pieces in a one on one showdown of features?

I really believe many decision makers have no idea of what is ultimately possible with an N900. (Elop excepted seen his urge to destroy the philosophy behind it)

Probably they are now busy messing up their next Linux device running Tizen -maybe it is not too late for a 180 and have the Tizen version grow Maemo 5, full hardware?
unfortunately im just employee, ordinary employee,

so sorry, im a dreamer, im a dreamer,

Instead of showing sad face, just get involved into any community project - if You love Open devices and systems so much - not only coders are needed. See last few pages of:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ouncil&page=67

for details.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Instead of showing sad face, just get involved into any community project - if You love Open devices and systems so much - not only coders are needed. See last few pages of:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ouncil&page=67

for details.

/Estel
ok sir, i love this community, ur all brilliant!!