Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
Never had any qualms about opening up devices under warranty. My eeepc701 lost it in less than a week
You're quite tough.

I'm actually hoping it might be this since then one could theoretically get an aftermarket one easily. Though having a hardware mod as well would be nice so that the keys would always corespond to the keycode.
Let's see what it comes down to. I'll probably do it too, once you decide on the solution after getting the device, let me know...

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Brazil
I just hope that Nokia doesn't try to "play cool" and make an ABNT layout to Brazil...

I don't need an exclusive "Ç" taking the space of my precious arrow keys, thank you so much.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Originally Posted by 白い熊 View Post
You're quite tough.

Let's see what it comes down to. I'll probably do it too, once you decide on the solution after getting the device, let me know...
I'll probably wait a while to see if there will be anything aftermarket. I wouldn't actually have a problem if Nokia offered a service to switch the keyboard out with a different layout. Let's say 20 eur or so for the work. And you keep the warranty

I'm a bit "afraid".
Swiss French keyboard is QWERTZ,
like Swiss German layout.

But on Nokia.ch, when you look at the specification,
here is what you get (Depending on the language you use to navigate through the web site)
Swiss French : AZERTY
Swiss German : QWERTZ

I don't want at all AZERTY if it's the case, I'll go for the US layout, at least with the 4 direction keys.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post

I don't want at all AZERTY if it's the case, I'll go for the US layout, at least with the 4 direction keys.
Well, that sets the deal for me. Early December I will take a few days of vacation in London and take the opportunity to buy (if reviews are positive) an N900 with QWERTY layout and 4 direction keys...

problem solved for me

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Originally Posted by Dactar View Post
I'm live in Switzerland, french part.

I've bought an Nokia E90 two years ago. The keyboard was a french keyboard (AZERTY, numbers only accessible with shift option)

I've never seen a swiss french physical keyboard on a phone.

I've tested Maemo 5 SDK final and I didn't find the swiss french keyboard in the virtual keyboard configuration...
can you please look at the Czech keyboard please ?

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Raubtier View Post
@ziller, i`m afraid that there wont be a dedicated "." key, just like the n97..

it really baffles me that no one has found a pic of the german keyboard yet, it would answer the question because german and swiss keyboard are identical..
UUH no the swiss one is different from german, at least the special keys are not the same, keys in different place or different MOD I know are ^~#|\ß[]{}@§$´!+*öüä, the azerty is even worse and the italian differs as well.
the basic swiss is
this is also used in .lu and .li and includes italian french and german character sets!
sure you might get a german qwertz in switzerland as I got me a us qwerty in germany...
if there is a special swiss qwertz layout for the n900 it wont be the same as german qwertz! if not I guess it depends on the kanton you buy it

Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
I'm a bit "afraid".
Swiss French keyboard is QWERTZ,
like Swiss German layout.

But on Nokia.ch, when you look at the specification,
here is what you get (Depending on the language you use to navigate through the web site)

as said above there is no swiss $country layout! there are different azerty layouts but AFAIK none is specialy done for switzerland. didnt look it up but I guess its the french std layout (as nokia wont do special azerties but for africa, IF)

Last edited by chemist; 2009-11-05 at 14:39.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ switzerland
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
sure you might get a german qwertz in switzerland as I got me a us qwerty in germany...
if there is a special swiss qwertz layout for the n900 it wont be the same as german qwertz!
...and that exactly is the problem here. Raubtier asked nokia.ch if they have a de_CH qwertz layout for n900, just as they did for n97. The reply was: "no" (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=47)

But still, wherever you order a n900 here, they sell you a qwertz keyboard - and we were speculating what kind of a qwertz is it then if not a de_CH? The answer: probably exactly the same as de_DE. Hence the search for a picture of a de_DE n900 keyboard layout.

The layout you posted would be what most of us would probably like to have, but according to nokia.ch that's not what we'll get...

uk one is the best layout

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
This is the german QWERTZ:

Think amazon is a fake...

EDIT: There are some errors with the image -> http://www.netzwelt.de/picture/image...1257264943.jpg

Last edited by mobileflo; 2009-11-06 at 21:46.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mobileflo For This Useful Post: