Active Topics

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ switzerland
Originally Posted by Raubtier View Post
@ziller- according to nokia.ch ist will have a "ß" which sucks..
ok that indeed sucks. Wonder what key they sacrificed for ß? I assume ü, ä and ö will at least be there (germans need those too). But I'm starting to get worried about the dedicated . key... I really, really hope they have let that in there, unlike on the n97!

(ok, well, worst case scenario: we can always remap ß to ., right? )

@ziller, i`m afraid that there wont be a dedicated "." key, just like the n97..

it really baffles me that no one has found a pic of the german keyboard yet, it would answer the question because german and swiss keyboard are identical..

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Seems still no info on a dvorak layout

You gotta be dreaming...

No offense, I use Dvorak myself, but I've never seen a phone, and mainstream on top of that, with a hardware Dvorak keyboard layout.

Think pigs would have to fly before Nokia would ship the N900 with a Dvorak keyboard, not that me and the other 7 users worldwide wouldn't be happy :O)

The Following User Says Thank You to 白い熊 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ switzerland
Originally Posted by Raubtier View Post
it really baffles me that no one has found a pic of the german keyboard yet, it would answer the question because german and swiss keyboard are identical..
Well... amazon.de has some kind of a picture of a QWERTZ keyboard up: http://www.amazon.de/Nokia-Maemo-Ver...dp/B002N2Z0MQ/

But it's a rather odd one. The Z and Y are on their correct places, but I see no umlauts whatsoever, not even as a visible SYM-key combinations (marked in blue)... maybe the image is not a final one?

This is frustrating. When they have to remove directional keys, there is only one conclusion possible. They removed Too Many Keys.

Now I have to consider if I need the english keyboard instead of the localized one.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Originally Posted by 白い熊 View Post
You gotta be dreaming...

No offense, I use Dvorak myself, but I've never seen a phone, and mainstream on top of that, with a hardware Dvorak keyboard layout.

Think pigs would have to fly before Nokia would ship the N900 with a Dvorak keyboard, not that me and the other 7 users worldwide wouldn't be happy :O)

Hey I can dream can't I?

But what would be the big deal though. They could provide a custom order for such and only run those that order it.

As for pigs flying and hell freezing over... remember that GPL code dump Micros~1 did a while back

I could live with a software only modification if I could get a keyboard for it though. So I don't need to mess with labels etc.

Well, it depends on the keyboard they use. I've done some dvorak modifications on keyboards in the past, and if it has individual keys, could be done, if you're brave enough to open the phone up. But if they use that single plastic platter, from which all keys protrude, like many hardware keyboards use, this is gonna be hard.

The alternative of course is just an xmodmap remap without any stickers attached to memory, that's how one uses dvorak on a pc. For thumb typing this would be interesting, but maybe why not, a good "password" protection too, with the keys mixed up. I might even give it a go... :O)

Originally Posted by 白い熊 View Post
Well, it depends on the keyboard they use. I've done some dvorak modifications on keyboards in the past, and if it has individual keys, could be done, if you're brave enough to open the phone up.
Never had any qualms about opening up devices under warranty. My eeepc701 lost it in less than a week

Messed with the N95 the very next day after I got it(though software only)

But if they use that single plastic platter, from which all keys protrude, like many hardware keyboards use, this is gonna be hard.
I'm actually hoping it might be this since then one could theoretically get an aftermarket one easily. Though having a hardware mod as well would be nice so that the keys would always corespond to the keycode.

The alternative of course is just an xmodmap remap without any stickers attached to memory, that's how one uses dvorak on a pc. For thumb typing this would be interesting, but maybe why not, a good "password" protection too, with the keys mixed up. I might even give it a go... :O)
Touch typing is one thing but when one is half asleep/awake and wants to actually see what one hits labels are a damn good idea

And with my passwords having the labels generally is a must since they tend to be absurdly long(30+ chars).

I'm live in Switzerland, french part.

I've bought an Nokia E90 two years ago. The keyboard was a french keyboard (AZERTY, numbers only accessible with shift option)

I've never seen a swiss french physical keyboard on a phone.

I've tested Maemo 5 SDK final and I didn't find the swiss french keyboard in the virtual keyboard configuration...