Active Topics

Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
About a year and a half ago, I purchased my N810. I think that the first web-site that I opened was reddit.com, still my favorite news site. It loaded quickly and displayed perfectly. Needless to say, I was thrilled. Over time, reddit continued adding new features. Some of these were genuinely useful, others not so much, but each one slowed the site down just a bit. In the last month, the site finally became practically unusable. I started using the mobile version of reddit instead, but everytime I did, I thought about how the whole point of the Internet Tablet is to offer (most of) the desktop browsing experience in a mobile package.

Tear has given me back my Internet Tablet, even better than when I bought it. That's why clicking the little "Thanks" button just isn't thanks enough for this upgrade. I was expecting that I would have to pay $500 for the N900 in order to get this level of performance again. So thank-you, bundyo, fmercado, ignacius, smilo and all the others who have contributed.

This is the method that I used for installing Tear:
  • Install the 'rootsh' package, through the usual method (Applications -> Settings -> Application Manager -> Browse Installable Applications)
  • Add the 'Extras Devel' repository. Go to "Applications -> Settings -> Application Manager -> *the drop down menu* -> Tools -> Application Catalog...", the create a new catalog with:
    Name: maemo Extras Devel
    Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/
    Distribution:
    Components: free non-free
  • Go to "Applications -> Utilities -> X Terminal" and enter the following commands:
    sudo gainroot
    apt-get install libidn11 libxslt1.1
  • Go to this thread. If the first post in that thread is still describing version 0.3, preview 4 of Tear, then follow the next two steps. If there is a newer version being discussed, then the following two steps are likely obsolete.
  • Click this link. Choose "Open" and follow the prompts in the Application Manager to install it.

Once installed, it should be available under the "Applications -> Internet". You should also go back into the Application Manager and disable the "maemo Extras Devel" repository, to keep from accidentally upgrading your other applications to versions that aren't fully complete yet.
Hi there. I ran all instructions, installed the libwebkit and then tried to install tear. When I did that, it cam up with the error 'Application packages missing libpcre3 (>=4.5). Any ideas much appreciated.

Tags
tear