Active Topics

About a year and a half ago, I purchased my N810. I think that the first web-site that I opened was reddit.com, still my favorite news site. It loaded quickly and displayed perfectly. Needless to say, I was thrilled. Over time, reddit continued adding new features. Some of these were genuinely useful, others not so much, but each one slowed the site down just a bit. In the last month, the site finally became practically unusable. I started using the mobile version of reddit instead, but everytime I did, I thought about how the whole point of the Internet Tablet is to offer (most of) the desktop browsing experience in a mobile package.

Tear has given me back my Internet Tablet, even better than when I bought it. That's why clicking the little "Thanks" button just isn't thanks enough for this upgrade. I was expecting that I would have to pay $500 for the N900 in order to get this level of performance again. So thank-you, bundyo, fmercado, ignacius, smilo and all the others who have contributed.

This is the method that I used for installing Tear:
  • Install the 'rootsh' package, through the usual method (Applications -> Settings -> Application Manager -> Browse Installable Applications)
  • Add the 'Extras Devel' repository. Go to "Applications -> Settings -> Application Manager -> *the drop down menu* -> Tools -> Application Catalog...", the create a new catalog with:
    Name: maemo Extras Devel
    Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/
    Distribution:
    Components: free non-free
  • Go to "Applications -> Utilities -> X Terminal" and enter the following commands:
    sudo gainroot
    apt-get install libidn11 libxslt1.1
  • Go to this thread. If the first post in that thread is still describing version 0.3, preview 4 of Tear, then follow the next two steps. If there is a newer version being discussed, then the following two steps are likely obsolete.
  • Click this link. Choose "Open" and follow the prompts in the Application Manager to install it.

Once installed, it should be available under the "Applications -> Internet". You should also go back into the Application Manager and disable the "maemo Extras Devel" repository, to keep from accidentally upgrading your other applications to versions that aren't fully complete yet.

Last edited by nobodysbusiness; 2009-03-01 at 14:27. Reason: Added note about disabling Extras Devel

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to nobodysbusiness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Thank to the developers of WebKitGtk. I'm just hacking around

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
in the tear3 thread just a few post bundyo added the tear bookmark just in case you didn't notice it, by the way sometimes the thank you button is not enough to click for those coders and dev team here on this forum, i realy think nokia should CONSIDER OFFERING EACH OF THEM A N900 device when they do release it.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
You hacked around enough to give us a really good browsing experience.

I think clickin' the "Thanks" button isn't enough too, so:

Bundyo, thanks a lot dude.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
No thanks... and no disrespect but. This apparently needs some heavy lifting and still has the possibility to break something that already works on my tablet.

I feel your sentiments regarding the developers and agree 100% with what others have posted. However, after trying to follow your install instructions
In the first post, click the link for the latest version of WebKit (40663 as of this writing)
Once that has installed, click the link for the latest version of Tear (0.3 preview 4 as of this writing)
Link??? Post???
and then attempting to parse the original Tear thread>> http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=24293 for more insight; I have come to the conclusion that I am either to dense to understand your post or that there is a reason it isn't a standard install yet.

Good for you though!

AFAIK, Tear has no potential to break anything else. The reason it's not a standard install? I think that's just because the extras auto-builder can't build Vala apps yet. (If it were in extras, then the dependencies could be fetched / installed automatically...)

Try the Tear 0.3 thread instead, it may be more enlightening.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
@YoDude: sorry about the poor instructions that I wrote. Now that I've given them a second look, it's clear how difficult they would be to follow. I'm normally pretty good at writing directions; I guess I'm off my game. I updated them to be simpler.

As for Tear itself, yes, there are several bugs and missing features. It's probably not ready to totally replace the default browser right this minute, but given the rate of progress... it might not be much longer.

PS: If anyone else has problems following those instructions, let me know and I'll update them again.

The Following User Says Thank You to nobodysbusiness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
maybe remind people to disable extras-devel after this install. they may accidentally "upgrade" to nonworking versions of their favorite apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
AFAIK, Tear has no potential to break anything else. The reason it's not a standard install? I think that's just because the extras auto-builder can't build Vala apps yet. (If it were in extras, then the dependencies could be fetched / installed automatically...)

Try the Tear 0.3 thread instead, it may be more enlightening.
Yup...
A link to that originally would have helped a bit.
I see nobodysbusiness has updated the first post to include that, thanks.

BTW, I was now able to easily follow the instructions found in the opening post and have run this blazingly fast browser and see that nothing has broken. WooHoo!

Thanks, nobodysbusines

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-02-22 at 14:08.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Thanks nobodysbusiness.

Your instructions are crystal clear now. One slight quirk, I got only 96/100 on the acid test. Any suggestions? I have to double post, as I follow your instructions but using Bundyo's tear 0.3

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-02-28 at 23:15.

Tags
tear