Active Topics

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
However, strangely enough, that quote says MeeGo first will be available second half 2010 which is the same time the M6 device is due - so are they doing both at the same time? What's the logic in that?
Thats exactly what I was wondering. I mean if MeeGo is suppose to be Maemo+Moblin why would you try to continue developing the individual product instead of the combined whole? Very odd if you ask me.

No. Nokia does not promise that. It is easy to tell by the fact that there is no quote from a Nokia person that includes the words "Meego will work on N900". What you really have is some writer's interpretation of some weasel words from some Nokia PR guy.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by luca View Post
You too must be new here
i am HOPING anyway...wasn't it the case that the Nokia N770s weren't going to be getting tablet OS2008, but eventually did? hope that's the same deal here.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Netherlands
I think it doesn't really matter. Nowadays a phone lives 1 year before it is outdated...maybe 2. In a year from now the telecom provider will make you a deal with a new phone that won't be a N900 but its successor. I will buy the MeeGo phone.
I think...if you can make Qt apps for the N900 then you can for its successor.
Although...there is a slight feeling of betrayal the overall feeling is that this will be interesting times.
If you can make great Qt mobile apps on the N900 you will be king of the hill on MeeGo.
Until MeeGo is out that is what I will trying.

Regards,

Theo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tkm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by lfcobra View Post
Thats exactly what I was wondering. I mean if MeeGo is suppose to be Maemo+Moblin why would you try to continue developing the individual product instead of the combined whole? Very odd if you ask me.
Maemo 6 is MeeGo, they said so several times.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Gotta agree with Matan here.

Until it's said, in those words from Nokia; I'd not believe it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
BTW, the OP should change the title of the thread, so that people who "research" before buying will not be bitterly surprised when the supposed promise is not fulfilled.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
that builds on the Nokia N900 to begin with.
Yeah to a developer that sounds like it will be built for the N900

But it is much more likely to be marketing speech for a product that is built on from the N900

The quote I saw is Nokia doesn't know if they will develop for the N900 but is sure the community will back port it if they do not.

Much as they said for Maemo5 on the N8xx

It might be worth us posting this to as many Nokia PR agents as possible with the question dose that mean we will defiantly get MeeGo on our N900s.

Nokia should still be responsive to customers desires. They do after all wand to sell new phones and keeping there current customers happy is the best way to get more sales in 2 years or so.

A fact they seem to forget with their Warranty department.

The Following User Says Thank You to HumanPenguin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by HumanPenguin View Post
Yeah to a developer that sounds like it will be built for the N900

But it is much more likely to be marketing speech for a product that is built on from the N900

The quote I saw is Nokia doesn't know if they will develop for the N900 but is sure the community will back port it if they do not.

Much as they said for Maemo5 on the N8xx

It might be worth us posting this to as many Nokia PR agents as possible with the question dose that mean we will defiantly get MeeGo on our N900s.

Nokia should still be responsive to customers desires. They do after all wand to sell new phones and keeping there current customers happy is the best way to get more sales in 2 years or so.

A fact they seem to forget with their Warranty department.
The great thing about the MeeGo announcement is that other hardware manufacturers will build devices for the platform.

This means an alternative to Nokia.

You can switch from Nokia-made devices to someone else and the software should hopefully be compatible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Why is everyone being so negative about this? Firstly all the promises of openness are good, because it might mean the community can get it working on the N900 even if nokia don't. Secondly, this will almost certainly delay maemo 6 if there's to be any significant code merge, which will in turn delay the end of support of maemo 5 which is feared around here.

Tags
just a bunch of