maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   MeeGo / Harmattan (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Nokia promises N900 will get MeeGo! Or perhaps not. (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44615)

mtreacy13 2010-02-15 15:32

Nokia promises N900 will get MeeGo! Or perhaps not.

http://meego.com/

What are all your hopes/fears for the future of the n900 and Meego?

From what I've read/seen so far I'm pretty optimistic.

Thoughts?

Ali_rshojakhani 2010-02-15 15:36

MeeGo... a Cold Bullet to the maemo 5 Community?

With not much more than mearly a few months of the release of n900 and maemo 5, the maemo team are already going towards MeeGo... how do you hink it would effect the consumers and the the whole maemo 5 project...
IMO nokia has done a Bad job supporting the maemo 5 os [although it being somewhat open source]... nokia maemo-select's wallpapers and themes are still saying coming soon, prisimic wallpaper maker is still not done... the n900 still has a whole lot of bugs to be fixed...
what would become of this community trying so hard too achieve a great tablet/phone experience???

I am a proud owner of an n900 and i love my phone.... i just want to know if purchasing an n900 at such a high price was a mistake... or a decission made too soon??

Bratag 2010-02-15 15:39

Re: MeeGo... a Cold Bullet to the maemo 5 Community?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali_rshojakhani (Post 527533)
With not much more than mearly a few months of the release of n900 and maemo 5, the maemo team are already going towards MeeGo... how do you hink it would effect the consumers and the the whole maemo 5 project...
IMO nokia has done a Bad job supporting the maemo 5 os [although it being somewhat open source]... nokia maemo-select's wallpapers and themes are still saying coming soon, prisimic wallpaper maker is still not done... the n900 still has a whole lot of bugs to be fixed...
what would become of this community trying so hard too achieve a great tablet/phone experience???

I am a proud owner of an n900 and i love my phone.... i just want to know if purchasing an n900 at such a high price was a mistake... or a decission made too soon??

Well I will tell you one thing for sure. Creating a new damn thread for this question when there is a perfectly good and active thread, currently in the process of trying to answer this question, is a bloody stupid idea.

Rob1n 2010-02-15 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali_rshojakhani (Post 527533)

I don't see how it makes any difference - the issues with MeeGo are pretty much the same as those with Maemo 6. There may be one or two added issues with changes to packaging formats, and possibly to things like init scripts, but these are issues that the vast majority of current Linux software already faces and deals with.

Pretoriano 2010-02-15 16:37

Re: n900 shown on MeeGo homepage.

I'm optimistic too. I think this can be a very good thing

Bingley Joe 2010-02-15 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bratag (Post 527539)
Well I will tell you one thing for sure. Creating a new damn thread for this question when there is a perfectly good and active thread, currently in the process of trying to answer this question, is a bloody stupid idea.

Since you're feeling helpful, how about posting a bloody link to that perfectly good goddamnbastard thread? :p

Like, say.. this one:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=44546

chrisp7 2010-02-15 16:47

Its showing the N900 as a reference to Maemo. I dont think you can take anything whatsoever from that.

personally Im very concerened for the N900's future. Yes it will get QT apps and some slight improvements but not enough imo. Maemo 5 seems more and more like an ugly ducking.

bret hart 2010-02-15 16:49

Why cant people realise that companys dont simply work on one platfrom at a time. Microsoft would have been working on Windows 8 before 7 even hit the shelves, did that mean Microsoft are abandoning 7? Of course not.

TA-t3 2010-02-15 16:51

A third thread.. at least.
I posted about the content in the other thread, so here I'll just mention that I think the name is pretty bad.

Matan 2010-02-15 16:55

But Nokia have never released an update to an older Maemo based system after a new version was released, so what Microsoft does is irrelevant, and what Nokia does (and will do) is relevant.

According to Maemo history, once a device with Maemo 6 is out, Maemo 5 will be ignored. If N900 does not get Maemo 6, it means that it will be ignored.