Active Topics

Poll: Are you going to buy the "870" when it is released?
Poll Options
Are you going to buy the "870" when it is released?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
LOL sdr and benny.

Don't sweat reflection, guys. Not an issue.

The design it's important, to me, the first week, later I want a system that I can use every day like 770 but with more power, more web support and skype.

Originally Posted by fpp
Recently someone complained on the maemo mailing lists that updating the system clock with ntpdate did not survive a reboot. A developer replied with a magic command line to sync the hardware clock with the system clock. Maybe that is the problem you're seeing ? I haven't tried yet but it seems to work (although my own drift is more like 30 seconds than 30 minutes :-)
Wow, thanks for the tip. I have had the same problem with ntpdate.
Using mighty powers of google i've found the "magic command":
/mnt/initfs/usr/bin/retutime --rtc-from-system

Well, I think It's just going to depend on price for me. I'll also have to see what the specs are. I mean; my 770 is just fine right now. I use it a lot, and I've gotten used to its quirks. If it dies on me and I can't get it repaired, I might upgrade. But with some of the new products on the market, I might decide to go for something else. The webcam, for me, is actually a selling point. It's probably because I'm 17, but I can really see use for that feature; especially using it for IM. But other than that, I'm content with my 770, and really see no need to upgrade right now.

Yeah, I expect my kids will go nuts over the webcam feature.

The most limiting aspect of my current use of the 770 is the number of pdf pages that run over the memory limit and will not view. The "whatever" box needs to solve that or it clearly is a no go.

I had hoped that a large MMC Mobile card and all of the mem settings on full would end that, but they have not.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
More than likely, I will not get the successor to the 770...

Don't get me wrong - I love the 770 and still use it for certain things - but there are just too many limitations on supported video files, outdated Flash support, processor speed, and only 2GB of storage. The 870 (or whatever it ends up being called) will more than likely have just incremental changes, not revolutionary changes.

I went ahead and bought a Sony UX280p...I know it's not in the same class, it's 5 times the price, etc etc...but there are no limitations on it, I can run any program, any video file, any web site. Plus it has more standard Bluetooth functionality and of course the thumbboard. Higher rez screen, dual cameras, built-in WWAN. But it does have its drawbacks also...larger and heavier, much worse battery life, and the higher price.

The 770 was *by far* the best handheld I have ever owned (and I have owned dozens of them over the past ten years), until the UX. It just suffers from the same limitations of Windows Mobile, and Palm before that...nothing can beat a full computer, not yet anyways. Maybe in a few more years at the rate things are changing...

Most of the limitations you cite are software based, not hardware. Granted, Nokia needs to step up a bit more in that department, but then, there IS an open source community...

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
I certainly am willing to pre-order when they come available. I have considered the 770 for a while (to bridge the wait), but despite how good it is, and as a learning platform just as good as an 870 should be, it is just dated hardware.... and if I am spending new money on something I would like to spend it on the later version because I know that I will be using it for several years.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
Originally Posted by Texrat
Most of the limitations you cite are software based, not hardware. Granted, Nokia needs to step up a bit more in that department, but then, there IS an open source community...
Yeah, that's true...it just takes forever for open source solutions to happen, especially on a niche product like the 770. The thing has been out over a year now, so if there are still incompatibilities, they more than likely will not be addressed...

I still can't wait to see what the 870 offers, because the 770 was (is) revolutionary for a handheld...