Poll: Are you going to buy the "870" when it is released?
Poll Options
Are you going to buy the "870" when it is released?

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Rochester, NY
Are ya? (Sorry about this, I am trying to do a poll)
Te de aliis, quam alios de te suaviust fieri doctos

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
It depends. If it is truly as ugly as the photos (retro silver??? come on!) then I may wait. Also, I can't tell from the photos how heavy it is. If it is more than a few ounces heavier, with all the other things I carry, it will bog me down too much. Other than those two things, I will get it.

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Philadelphia, PA
I guess it all depends on how much better the device really is. For what I do with it, the speed and specs are plenty. I don't try to have severeal browser windows open or run more than 3 or so apps at any given time. So if the difference in specs are not significant enough, I don't forsee upgrading. That said, I might if the processor has been increased sufficiently, and there are capabilities with the new model that the 770 can't compete with. For instance, better media support. Although from what I've seen on the 'net they will continue to run the same OS, so i don't know that the device will have anything significantly different, besides just amped up components.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I'm not sure. Actually I don't need most of the new features (webcam? what for?). Of course, if it's faster and/or has more memory, it would be nice, but I'm quite content with what the 770 offers now.

The real no-no with the "870" is its design: too big, too silver, too retro, too many moving parts (cam, stand), and no metal slide-on cover. Also, it seems the buttons I use most (the ones on top) are smaller and harder to use because they're not separate any longer.

Originally Posted by benny1967
I'm not sure. Actually I don't need most of the new features (webcam? what for?). Of course, if it's faster and/or has more memory, it would be nice, but I'm quite content with what the 770 offers now.

The real no-no with the "870" is its design: too big, too silver, too retro, too many moving parts (cam, stand), and no metal slide-on cover. Also, it seems the buttons I use most (the ones on top) are smaller and harder to use because they're not separate any longer.
Good point - I am hopeful that those blurry photos were just a mock-up of an early prototype and the real one will be different.

Originally Posted by benny1967
I'm not sure. Actually I don't need most of the new features (webcam? what for?). .......

ttoally agree with all of this - and the current design, look and slide on cover are all great.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Did you even have to ASK?

Originally Posted by thoughtfix
Did you even have to ASK?
I suppose you are right - though it is a fun survey nonetheless. I will be looking for a few cold/wet people parked in front of CompUSA whne it is released in the US.

My guess, base dupon your Blog - is a European release in March/April, with a US release in August. Whatdya think?

I answered No, because I can't think of any hardware features the "870" could add that would benefit me, except possibly a powered USB port.

I do, however, invite with welcome arms any software updates that might trickle down for the 770, though. On that note, however, I am actually hoping that the 870 doesn't get a processor or memory upgrade, because if it does, that could severely hamper any shared application development between the 770 and 870, since newer applications may render the 770 too obsolete for acceptable UI interaction.

A usable Google-integrated PIM, however - that's an upgrade I would love and use, and I shouldn't have to buy new hardware in order to get it (if I do need it, then I won't bother).

What is a 870? Any links?