Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by ascherjim
Markku: Further experimentation on my part inspired by the direction of your experimentation has resulted in a fairly curious experience.

Instead of using the minimo repository (which failed for me) I executed the Application Manager Red Pill Mode via a "matrix" designation (listed in the Maemo Wiki). This then served to add to the Application Catalog a great number of applications which could presumably be installed. However, when I attempted to install a few of them, a message would come up saying they were in an unrecognizable format. I then endeavored to quit the Application Manager and encountered the same problem I had encountered with the minimo repository, i.e., my Application Manager would no longer function. Learning from my previous experience, however, I deleted the Red Pill "matrix" command and, as with the minimo, my Application Manager functioned once again. But this time, in my listing of "installed" applications there appeared almost all that had been listed earlier as available for installation from Red Pill! And these "installed" applications included the five abiword applications listed by Aldeksandyr in his thread. There was even a shortcut appearing for abiword in my extras shortcut directory. But, as earlier, when I had a working abiword, this shortcut still failed to work. I then tried to execute abiword in my osso-xterm, and this seemed almost to work except for a missing file designated as "libSM.so.6." I would presumably need to download and install this file for abiword finally to work, but I couldn't readily locate it through Google in a format which I thought would work with the 770. Anyway, this is as far as I've gotten in my experimentation -- and is about as far as I intend to go without some further explication and direction. Interesting, though! I least I thought that you might be interested. Regards,

FURTHER UPDATE: I now see from Aleksandyr's thread that "libSM.so.6" can supposedly be downloaded from minimo! So, I'm virtually back to square one. I again tried to download the minimo repository to my Catalog, and again it corrupted my Manager, so again I deleted it and restored the Manager back to normal. So no "libSM.so.6" for now -- and no working abiword.
Thank you for your advice, I'lI have to try that Red Pill mode. Now it seems that I have to think what is it that I have done which make it possibly to install and run the Abiword. Since I can install Minimo and repository doesn't corrupt my AM like yours there is something different in our setup. That libSM.so.6 is the key, if you could get that somewhere I'm sure you would get Abiword running. I want to help you with this problem but I have no idea at this moment how to. Maybe there's someone who has solved this problem already, just a hint for other readers...
Something came up to my mind, could there be another application repository address that corrupts your AM? Just the thought...
I know there's solution for this but to find it, that could take a little time.

I forgot to mention that before I flashed the new operating system, I had minimo successfuly installed on my 770 (and was probably why I had abiword previously working!) -- but I don't recall that I actually utilized the Application Manager to install it. I bellieve that I got the necessary instructions for a non-Application Manager install from another thread. I'll have to do a search.

Last edited by ascherjim; 2006-11-06 at 06:55. Reason: Misspelling

FURTHER UPDATE: I've got abiword working as formerly, through a rather circuitous route. I downloaded minimo to my pc, copied to my 770 memory card through USB, then installed from the memory card via the Application Manager(!) with only a minor glitch. On the first try, the installation failed because three dependencies were reported missing. Of these three, my Application Manager showed that two had already been installed, presumably via the Red Pill exercise I earlier described, and the third dependency was in fact available for installation in the AM's "to be installed" listing, presumably also there from the Red Pill effort. I then installed that one and abiword now comes up and functions in the user (not root) mode of xterm as formerly. Thanks again for "holding my hand" through all this.

[
QUOTE=ascherjim]FURTHER UPDATE: I've got abiword working as formerly, through a rather circuitous route. I downloaded minimo to my pc, copied to my 770 memory card through USB, then installed from the memory card via the Application Manager(!) with only a minor glitch. On the first try, the installation failed because three dependencies were reported missing. Of these three, my Application Manager showed that two had already been installed, presumably via the Red Pill exercise I earlier described, and the third dependency was in fact available for installation in the AM's "to be installed" listing, presumably also there from the Red Pill effort. I then installed that one and abiword now comes up and functions in the user (not root) mode of xterm as formerly. Thanks again for "holding my hand" through all this.[/QUOTE]

I am glad that you got Abiword running. You have done quite a lot to get it work but results speaks for themselves. As I mentioned before these problems can be solved working together and that is the main reason to me even participate with these forums. I have learned a lot from this forum and I thank for that. Maybe I can give back something, who knows.

I am just wondering why Abiword looks so different in root mode, mouse cursor and different colors? Is it ok to run it in root mode or should it start only in user mode maybe? I can run it only from Xterm.

Running it in root mode is a Very Bad Idea. All sorts of things in the framework don't play nicely with non-user permissions, as far as I've seen --- I'm not sure why, but that's what happens.

I trust that in the future we won't have to worry about the problems and difficulties between running in user or root mode if and when the shortcut finally works. I'll keep my fingers crossed (for luck).

Originally Posted by aleksandyr
Running it in root mode is a Very Bad Idea. All sorts of things in the framework don't play nicely with non-user permissions, as far as I've seen --- I'm not sure why, but that's what happens.
Thank's for the warning. It happened that I didn't exit root mode (silly me) when installing Abiword and run it. Then next time I run it, it looked different and then I noticed that I was in root mode when I started Abiword first time. Later I started it again in root mode just to confirm that I didn't remember wrong and yes indeed, it looked different. I didn't really used it in root mode any more because I thought it looked better in user mode. Maybe I was lucky that nothing happened? I have to be more careful what to do in future actions.