Active Topics

Notices

While I was previously able to get Aleksandyr"s abiword hack to run quite acceptably (albeit only in osso xterm from "$" not "#" -- and without an operational shortcut) I find that I cannot successifully reinstall its relevant components using dpkg in the new Maemo operating system. Will a fix be forthcoming? I hope so.

Short answer: yes
Long answer: Won't be able to start working on it until Thursday due to project deadlines.

Many thanks. I look forward to it being available.

I also offer my sincere thanks. I was about to upgrade and saw this thread. I will now wait until the port is finished. Aleksandyr, I very much appreciate your work on this! Thanks very much.

Originally Posted by ascherjim
While I was previously able to get Aleksandyr"s abiword hack to run quite acceptably (albeit only in osso xterm from "$" not "#" -- and without an operational shortcut) I find that I cannot successifully reinstall its relevant components using dpkg in the new Maemo operating system. Will a fix be forthcoming? I hope so.
I did upgrading the OS and Abiword works quite well. The first time I installed the Abiword I installed also Minimo. After Minimo was installed the Abiword started. Then I uninstalled Minimo because I did not want to use it because it was crashing all the time. Still Abiword worked well.

I did this new install this way: installed Minimo and THEN the Abiword. Again I uninstalled Minino and in xterm started Abiword. Starts slowly but eventually works, like it did before this new upgrade. I don't know if you already have done that but if not, then you should try it. I'm still interest in Minimo, hope that it will became more stable.

Thank you Aleksandyr for porting the Abiword!

Well, I attempted to follow your advice -- with unfortunately disastrous results! I downloaded the Minimo Repository to the Application Catalog in my Application Manager, but, having done so, not only wouldn't it allow the Catalog to be refreshed, but it rendered my entire Application Manager inaccessible. I have already reloaded a ton of applications and further modified the new OS. I just hope I won't have to reflash the entire thing and start from scratch. Does anyone know of any way to get the Application Manager working again without my having to do so?

Last edited by ascherjim; 2006-11-05 at 18:59. Reason: Correct spelling

PROBLEM SOLVED! I deleted the Minimo Repository from the Application Catalog, and that permitted the Application Manager to work again. Whew! But anyway, I don't think I want to again attempt to install Minimo as a means to get Abiword to work for me. I'll wait to see what other less risky methods are suggested. However, I do appreciate all offers of help, even if they don't always solve the problem for me.

Originally Posted by ascherjim
PROBLEM SOLVED! I deleted the Minimo Repository from the Application Catalog, and that permitted the Application Manager to work again. Whew! But anyway, I don't think I want to again attempt to install Minimo as a means to get Abiword to work for me. I'll wait to see what other less risky methods are suggested. However, I do appreciate all offers of help, even if they don't always solve the problem for me.
In my 770 the Application Manager has been many times totally mixed up but a few reboots and Application Manager is working again. I don't know why it does that but it did that first when I got application catalogue all managed after last upgrade. No installed application (there were quite few), no nothing. Well because it's happened before I just shut it down and took battery of and reboot the thing twice and again, the Application Manager worked like there were no problems at all...(very strange)
I think the Application Manager can't go broke that much what a few reboots don't fix. That opinion comes from experience, just a little faith and it will work.
Anyway, do as you like. I don't want you to worry too much, so maybe you should wait to Aleksandyr solve's the problem.

Knowing now from both my own experience and yours that an Application Manager fairlure does not necessarily mean a total OS failure, I would be more inclined to try your Minimo solution again -- except for the fact that I couldn't effectively add the Minimo Repository to my Application Catalogue. (I did follow their instructions for leaving blank the Components designation box, which I found unusual.) So, I guess that if I can't load Minimo, I can't try your solution. Many thanks for your added assistance.

Markku: Further experimentation on my part inspired by the direction of your experimentation has resulted in a fairly curious experience.

Instead of using the minimo repository (which failed for me) I executed the Application Manager Red Pill Mode via a "matrix" designation (listed in the Maemo Wiki). This then served to add to the Application Catalog a great number of applications which could presumably be installed. However, when I attempted to install a few of them, a message would come up saying they were in an unrecognizable format. I then endeavored to quit the Application Manager and encountered the same problem I had encountered with the minimo repository, i.e., my Application Manager would no longer function. Learning from my previous experience, however, I deleted the Red Pill "matrix" command and, as with the minimo, my Application Manager functioned once again. But this time, in my listing of "installed" applications there appeared almost all that had been listed earlier as available for installation from Red Pill! And these "installed" applications included the five abiword applications listed by Aldeksandyr in his thread. There was even a shortcut appearing for abiword in my extras shortcut directory. But, as earlier, when I had a working abiword, this shortcut still failed to work. I then tried to execute abiword in my osso-xterm, and this seemed almost to work except for a missing file designated as "libSM.so.6." I would presumably need to download and install this file for abiword finally to work, but I couldn't readily locate it through Google in a format which I thought would work with the 770. Anyway, this is as far as I've gotten in my experimentation -- and is about as far as I intend to go without some further explication and direction. Interesting, though! I least I thought that you might be interested. Regards,

FURTHER UPDATE: I now see from Aleksandyr's thread that "libSM.so.6" can supposedly be downloaded from minimo! So, I'm virtually back to square one. I again tried to download the minimo repository to my Catalog, and again it corrupted my Manager, so again I deleted it and restored the Manager back to normal. So no "libSM.so.6" for now -- and no working abiword.

Last edited by ascherjim; 2006-11-06 at 04:24. Reason: New information.