Active Topics

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by r0eladn View Post
you want us to ignore your ignorance?

that's dangerous, what if we are ignorant as well. You would be asking ignorant people to ignore your ignorance. What if this goes on to eternity? What would the world be like.. i have nightmares..

forgive me for my ignorance please. its late.

but i think i have to ignore your question, since i do not know the answer. For i'm ignorant myself. On this subject, not as a person. as far as i know. but what do i know.
Very funny

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
What's MENA and why is smartphone loving Switzerland not listed? Nor Austria? Don't we get our localized (keyboardwise I mean) devices? And what's up with those swap units? Swap as in to swap, like change, exchange? Swap hardware components...? Huh?

Originally Posted by schaggo View Post
What's MENA and why is smartphone loving Switzerland not listed? Nor Austria? Don't we get our localized (keyboardwise I mean) devices? And what's up with those swap units? Swap as in to swap, like change, exchange? Swap hardware components...? Huh?
MENA = Middle East North Africa

We are not sure what Swap means yet.

It doesn't seem there is a universal Euro code.

Please note I was told the NSU will be offline for 1 hour tomorrow 12th Nov from 6AM to 7AM (GMT) for maintenance.

I really hope Nokia learned from Symbian mistakes.
One of them is that the localization method they use is based on Product Codes. So in order to change your language you have to change the product code. A method that voids the warranty (still I cannot understand why..)

With Maemo we should be able to install additional languages for both menus and text inputs with some short of Language Packs installations or something similar.

N900 is a computer after all.

Please tell me that such a solution exist for the N900 and that changing the language is NOT based on the really annoying product code solution?

The Following User Says Thank You to nMIK-3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 143 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Houston
What do the Product Codes mean/imply, exactly? Just the place where you bought the phone, right?

0593611: UK CV just been added to the list.

CV stands for Country Variant.

Product code is basically where the country the device is market for with localisation.
For example, an Asian product code will not have European languages like French, Spanish etc
Vice versa, an European product code will not have Asian languages.

Posts: 321 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hellas
Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
For example, an Asian product code will not have European languages like French, Spanish etc
Vice versa, an European product code will not have Asian languages.
Does this mean that if I buy a USA unlocked n900 I won't be able to use one of the european languages listed on the product codes?

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
I can't answer for sure, but (regular consumer) devices intended for the North American market usually come with English, Spanish and maybe French. You won't get Italian, Dutch, German and the like, no. I don't know how they deal with the N900 though, since it's running Linux and Linux'es are usually extensively multi-languaged...

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barbados/London
Still no one knows what the SWAP product codes define?