Posts: 31 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Poland
Agree, it would be pointless if the flash had worked. Raiffeisen Bank I use provides on-line services either via browser with flash or Adobe Air app. Flash does not work on N900, you can try to get login page here: https://www.r-bank.pl/newsbi/index.jsp?lang=en
and Adobe Air is non-existent... Yes, could throw away N900 and get iPhone, but I still unreasonably like Maemo..

Yamakasi: The purpose, and scope, of Air and Flash is very different. In a VERY simplistic description, Air can access "low" level OS functions, while Flash lives inside a little box called browser, limiting its action.

I am a Flex coder and have kept my fingers well crossed, eagerly waiting for Air to miraculously debut on Maemo. It would open a very wide coding community, and we could easily (immediately) port an immense array of apps.

Also, with Air, the learning curve for potential new coders is less steep as with qt, etc.

As for speed, if Adobe would port it natively and not by some emulative/hacking process, i am sure we could have a pretty darn good framework to work with.

Just my $.02.

The Following User Says Thank You to manifesto42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ mother earth
and you expect a port from Adobe to maemo ?

Reason tells me i shouldnt, that Air will not come to Maemo, even more with this migration to Meego. But enjoying my N900 so much and being a flex dev, i cant let go of this thin thread of hope. :-)

Would be awesome if it did, though.

I am agree with you, I am also a flash developer and if I found some some way to deploy AIR apps on maemo then I could make and deploy number of apps on maemo repository.

I also agreed that AIR apps are much quicker and easier to learn as compare to QT where C++ knowledge is required.

Also if adobe can provide some native support of AIR for maemo then I am sure that performance won't be an issue at all.

Originally Posted by manifesto42 View Post
Yamakasi: The purpose, and scope, of Air and Flash is very different. In a VERY simplistic description, Air can access "low" level OS functions, while Flash lives inside a little box called browser, limiting its action.

I am a Flex coder and have kept my fingers well crossed, eagerly waiting for Air to miraculously debut on Maemo. It would open a very wide coding community, and we could easily (immediately) port an immense array of apps.

Also, with Air, the learning curve for potential new coders is less steep as with qt, etc.

As for speed, if Adobe would port it natively and not by some emulative/hacking process, i am sure we could have a pretty darn good framework to work with.

Just my $.02.