Notices

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Spain
Well, it's amazing can see the artist / album / song , with dynamic text.
Ok, ok ok, it's breaks standard but i think would be an option in fm transmitter (standard rds - dynamic ps) and be free to choice.

Now, with PR 1.3, you can overwrite (or change original filename) with mediaplayer.launch of PR 1.1.1 (attachment). it's send artist / album / song to the rds_ps. But fmtx-middleware package contains daemon /usr/sbin/fmtxd wich restricts rds_ps to 8 character so i'm not happy

If you replace fmtxd with the PR 1.1.1 version, for rds_ps will be dynamic text, we have a problem it's don't start.

If someone knows how to make this, we could have rds_ps with dynamic text
Attached Files
File Type: zip mediaplayer.launch.zip (237.0 KB, 132 views)

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Spain
Well, I did it
With the attachment of previous post, we can make that mediaplayer sends artist / album / song title to rds_ps , but fmtxd will limit to 8 static characters.

Well, replaces fmtxd and fmtx_client with the attachments files of this post (Are fmtx of PR 1.1.1).
And กกก IMPORTANT !!! after replace files, restart phone. If you don't make this, the "new" fmtx won't work.

Once it's done, start mediaplayer->play song and start FM Transmitter
And you will see rds_ps dynamic text on your car, how before update PR1.2
Attached Files
File Type: zip fmtx.zip (18.3 KB, 131 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mad_soft For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
I've got a rant and a "thank you'. Let's get the rant out of the way first.

The don't show track info "feature" should never have been forced on the user. And the justification is risible:

Media Player violates the RDS specification and endangers vehicle drivers by abusing the PS field for dynamic text.
So what if it violates the spec? It's not like the N900 is transmitting enough power to even bother the car next to you. And "endangering the driver"? Seriously? I've yet to see a US radio station that sends RDS data that doesn't violate the spec by sending dynamic text. The fact that my N900 doesn't work doesn't keep me any "safer" when I'm listening to broadcast radio. And Bluetooth-equipped receivers show track info. As do those that can access USB devices as mass storage. I'm being "endangered" by them, too, I suppose.

In fact, I'd argue that the "fix" makes drivers less safe. I often find myself tapping the N900 display to turn on the backlight and squinting to read the track information. To me, that's much more dangerous that reading the radio display. I know I shouldn't do that, but I still do.

Let me close with a parable:

There was once a grocer would sold produce by the kilogram. As an adherent to the standards, he knew that the kilogram was a unit of mass, not weight. As such, he insisted on using a balance, not a spring-based scale.

One day, the balance broke and he sent it out for repair. Customers still wanted to buy produce, but he couldn't sell it because all he had was a scale. "Why can't you do like everyone else and just assume that we're on earth and a kilogram-weight is essentially constant for this purpose?" "Well, that would violate the standards of the SI," he told them. "What if we were on the moon? Or near a large geological formation that minutely distorted local gee?"

So all the other grocers conformed to common practice, and sold fruits and vegetables while our hero conformed to the standard and his produce rotted.

That's the rant.

Now the thank-you. Thanks to everyone in this thread for the info and helpful suggestions, particularly qwerty12, mad_soft, and Wichall.

Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I've got a rant and a "thank you'. Let's get the rant out of the way first.

The don't show track info "feature" should never have been forced on the user. And the justification is risible:

So what if it violates the spec? It's not like the N900 is transmitting enough power to even bother the car next to you. And "endangering the driver"? Seriously? I've yet to see a US radio station that sends RDS data that doesn't violate the spec by sending dynamic text. The fact that my N900 doesn't work doesn't keep me any "safer" when I'm listening to broadcast radio. And Bluetooth-equipped receivers show track info. As do those that can access USB devices as mass storage. I'm being "endangered" by them, too, I suppose.

In fact, I'd argue that the "fix" makes drivers less safe. I often find myself tapping the N900 display to turn on the backlight and squinting to read the track information. To me, that's much more dangerous that reading the radio display. I know I shouldn't do that, but I still do.

Let me close with a parable:

There was once a grocer would sold produce by the kilogram. As an adherent to the standards, he knew that the kilogram was a unit of mass, not weight. As such, he insisted on using a balance, not a spring-based scale.

One day, the balance broke and he sent it out for repair. Customers still wanted to buy produce, but he couldn't sell it because all he had was a scale. "Why can't you do like everyone else and just assume that we're on earth and a kilogram-weight is essentially constant for this purpose?" "Well, that would violate the standards of the SI," he told them. "What if we were on the moon? Or near a large geological formation that minutely distorted local gee?"

So all the other grocers conformed to common practice, and sold fruits and vegetables while our hero conformed to the standard and his produce rotted.

That's the rant.

Now the thank-you. Thanks to everyone in this thread for the info and helpful suggestions, particularly qwerty12, mad_soft, and Wichall.
I'd just like to remind everyone that pycage was the one that created the "bug" report and broke our phones.