Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
Hi,

I use the FM Transmitter a lot. It used to work OK most of the time. So long as i pressed play in the media player app rather than the desktop widget it would display the song title/album etc etc.

However since upgrading to 1.2 this no longer works when using either the widget or the media player itself.

Any idea how to resolve? have i missed a simple checkbox somewhere?

(I'm sure i read somewhere that the RDS song info was now officially a feature since 1.2?)

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
It was a feature of 1.1 which has been removed. There is an app that does this I think.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
IThe app was FM RDS Notify. Can't think why Nokia removed such a useful feature.

Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
IThe app was FM RDS Notify. Can't think why Nokia removed such a useful feature.
What's the logic in Nokia removing this when it seemed to work well?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
What's the logic in Nokia removing this when it seemed to work well?
they removed the search function in the application manager, they removed gesture support from the virtual keyboard... why wouldn't they remove other useful features as well?

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 156 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
they removed the search function in the application manager
searching app manager can now be done by simply typing on the keyboard. no need to activate search function now.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
searching app manager can now be done by simply typing on the keyboard. no need to activate search function now.
I know about this function. It was advertised long before PR1.2 was released. There was no reason to remove the real search function, though, which was both faster and more comfortable to use in many situations. (Searching without pulling the keyboard out, search names only without getting matches from package descriptions, ...)

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
I agree, I used this feature all the time too. I think I am getting ready to join the I hate Nokia club.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United States - Saudi Arabia
really why did they remove it?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
In PR 1.1 RDS song info was implemented in a way that was in strict violation of the RDS standard and some radios even could not properly follow the text the way it was implemented (abusing the static 8 character station name text field for dynamic text).
The proper way would be to use the 64 character radio text field instead, but then no RDS compliant car radio would display the text _while_ driving, because the RDS specification forbids displaying dynamically changing text while driving.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post: