Active Topics

If you had been diagnosed with a brain tumour or your mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, I could understand such grieving. But it's a company that makes shitloads of money selling gadgets. That is all.
Why are you here then? I won't loose any sleep over it but I way looking forward to meego. And I'm alone at home currently :-).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Peet: do not feed the trolls.
Thats a cop out.

No troll here. Not everyone who has an opinion that differs from the Status Quo is a troll.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-02-11 at 22:44.

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Why are you here then? I won't loose any sleep over it but I way looking forward to meego. And I'm alone at home currently :-).
I am actually starting to wonder why I'm here too. When people start making weird comments like "ever since hearing the news I can hardly breathe", I kinda feel like I've stumbled into some weird Nokia Cult.

I am here because I own an N900 and want to get the best out of it.

And I am in my Kitchen making a cup of tea and my Kettle is boiling. ;-)

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-02-11 at 22:46.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Actually Bond@ge, there are grief-worthy aspects here.

1. It spells the end of this "community". I'm not a social-network type at all (never even accepted a Facebook invite), but I'll miss this forum and especially some of the participants, who will scatter.

2. It's a foot on the face of an ideal. We're left with just big, grubby, locked-down, oligopolistic OSes. Nokia, even if for its own corporate interests, was serving as a white knight for "the little, freedom-loving people" and the underdogs. And then it sided with the worst of the entrenched oligopolists and mowed us down in our Virtual Tahrir Square.

Edit:

3. Then there all the people who put effort into Maemo, QT, and Meego and are largely undercut/sold out.

4. It's probably a silly thing to mourn, but there are those of us who rooted, maybe foolishly, for a successful Finnish multinational corporation over the American multinational corporations, and for a Europe-centered OS hub instead of all US-centered OSes.

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2011-02-11 at 23:13.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
"Is there anything we can do??" - no, there isn't. Nokia is big business and not some kind of playground for open source enthusiasts. Symbian was driving Nokia to its' grave and you are exaggerating the importance of open source. Get over it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kajko For This Useful Post:
@ GeraldKo

I can relate to your first point having been a member of Forums over the years that are no more. And yeah, I do miss them now. I can see where your coming from there.

On the other hand. If the N900 ends up being the last truly OS platform, will that not unite the community even further. I mean, I read a thread today where some guy said he had just ordered TWO N900's for the future. I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing myself, even though I've only owned this one I'm typing on for a month.

What I'm trying to say is, if there is nowhere else to go....will the community stick with what they know?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Actually Bond@ge, there are grief-worthy aspects here.

1. It spells the end of this "community". I'm not a social-network type at all (never even accepted a Facebook invite), but I'll miss this forum and especially some of the participants, who will scatter.

2. It's a foot on the face of an ideal. We're left with just big, grubby, locked-down, oligopolistic OSes. Nokia, even if for its own corporate interests, was serving as a white knight for "the little, freedom-loving people" and the underdogs. And then it sided with the worst of the entrenched oligopolists and mowed us down in our Virtual Tahrir Square.

Edit:

3. Then there all the people who put effort into Maemo, QT, and Meego and are largely undercut/sold out.

4. It's probably a silly thing to mourn, but there are those of us who rooted, maybe foolishly, for a successful Finnish multinational corporation over the American multinational corporations, and for a Europe-centered OS hub instead of all US-centered OSes.
While I agree; it smacks me in the face that Nokia didn't cultivate this community to the point of where it was pushed to the forefront and all associated products - Maemo 5, N900, MeeGo-Harmattan, MeeGo w/ Nokia UX - were not fleshed out fully.

There was time. 770 came out when? N900 came out when? MeeGo was announced when?

And yet, from the N900 to now, nothing came. The PR updates were delayed. And the OS didn't get the push that we knew it should have.

I have a problem with that. It smacks of bad management no matter how you cut it. Bad, pre-Elop management.

And if it means the end of this community - which I have to somewhat doubt since there is a community SSU - then really... who do you truly blame?

The new head or the old head(s)?

I'm looking back to the past decisions for blame. They killed off what could have been great by not putting anything out that showed that greatness off. We knew it. They just needed to find a way to make others know it.

And they didn't. I find way too many faults in that. Nokia didn't capitalize from the 770 to MeeGo.

Last edited by gerbick; 2011-02-11 at 23:32.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
I've lived in Ireland.

And what?

Want to compare Penis size too?
GIFs! GIFs! GIFs!

The Following User Says Thank You to alcalde For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
GIFs! GIFs! GIFs!
No... no way. GIF's of that kind of action need to be direct message only.

Do.Not.Want.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
"What I'm trying to say is, if there is nowhere else to go....will the community stick with what they know?"

I don't think so. There was a future-oriented aspect that no longer seems pertinent. Developers will want to feel like they're catching the next wave, or at least staying current. I'm not a developer; and I haven't progressed beyond the N8x0 series. Maemo got as far as step X-1 of a promised X steps to a polished consumer device. I was waiting for such a device. It apparently won't be from Nokia, and I won't be here much or at all anymore. Most others will move on, too.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, me ego, megone, naysaying, quit whining