Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by dana.s View Post
President Mubarak steps down at the same day Nokia-MS partnership..mmm
How is that related?
Karmic balance. It's a cosmic conspiracy.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
hey- I did put a HUGE 'WHAT IF' at the top and say it was just a half baked idea myself, just putting those points out there that is a possibily. A very low probability, but a chance none the less.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Android Market Allready has a "Nokia WP7 Emulator for Android". I kid you not!

Briliant App.

https://market.android.com/details?i...kiaWP7Emulator

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ İstanbul - Turkey
Nokia execs should ask themselves this: As the pioneer of PC market, why IBM doesn't have any product in the PC market today?

This is the same situation. MS will create an 'ecosystem' with the help of Nokia. And then cheaper products from Asia will take over that ecosystem. It doesn't matter for Microsoft who licenses their OS after all. In the end MS will have a great share of mobile OSes but Nokia will be long forgotten. IBM had the chance to return mainframe computer business but Nokia doesn't even have that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Optln For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post

Briliant App.
Nokia deserves every single humiliation received. They ask for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
In his memo, Elop said a lot about the importance of ecosystems and getting to market quickly with a new or existing one.

So why has he joined with Microsoft, who don't have an ecosystem, a but an OS very, very much in its infancy? Maemo 5 is more developed than WP7. Elop and Ballmer also said today they've not got plans for a tablet on WP7. So WTF was all the talk about ecosystems if all he's done is sacrifice Nokia's own 'immature' system to go with another company's more immature system?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
What I'm wondering:

Is W7 a smartphone OS at all? I know that the definition of smartphone is somewhat vague, no matter how you look at it. But there's a set of features that I simply expect in a smartphone, therefore they (for me) define a smartphone. These features are a combination of "what I expect from the computer-side of the smartphone" and "what I expect from the high end phone side". Examples: full multitasking, file system access, full controll of what can be shared (and how) via bluetooth/USB, copy/paste, freedom to install anything from any install-file you find on the web, video calls, MMS, ... Few smartphones have them all, but they have at least most of them. (And before you ask: No. I never considered any iPhone version a smartphone. Because of the features it lacks.)

Now W7 not only lacks some or many of these features. It lacks most or all of them, as far as I know. How come anyone calls it a smartphone-OS? What does W7 offer me as a (admittedly very demanding) consumer that S40 cannot provide? How can it compete with the platforms Nokia is about to abandon?
What I'm wondering:

Is MeeGo vaporware that might never come out in a final, retail format? I know the definition of vaporware is somewhat vague no matter how you look at it. But to be considered vaporware and yet have shown off versions that run on the Nokia N900, is it still considered vaporware because it's not yet released with a full compliment of functionality? That, to me, defines vaporware.

Now, MeeGo not only lacked an official release, it also lacks a future as far as I know. What does an incomplete MeeGo offer me? How come everybody calls MeeGo the highend of Nokia when it's been relegated to nearly a hobby OS? How can it compete with the platforms Nokia needs to compete against?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post

Briliant App.

https://market.android.com/details?i...kiaWP7Emulator

You just made my day
Maintaining: Audelicious | xmp

Originally Posted by Optln View Post
Nokia execs should ask themselves this: As the pioneer of PC market, why IBM doesn't have any product in the PC market today?

This is the same situation. MS will create an 'ecosystem' with the help of Nokia. And then cheaper products from Asia will take over that ecosystem. It doesn't matter for Microsoft who licenses their OS after all. In the end MS will have a great share of mobile OSes but Nokia will be long forgotten. IBM had the chance to return mainframe computer business but Nokia doesn't even have that.
It's because IBM chose to let it go. It's a classic business case study for business schools. This article covers it (but it has to be paid for): http://hbr.org/product/skate-to-wher...R0110D-PDF-ENG

The Following User Says Thank You to hordeman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Maemo 5 is more developed than WP7.
Having moved from an N900 to an Omnia 7,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(well actually technically speaking I moved from an N900 to Android while moving from iPhone to Omnia 7, but whatever)

True, no Skype, but - the quality of the tentpole apps is in another league. And while limited with some glaring holes, the OS fit & finish is also already in another league in comparison to Maemo 5 - and you know how long Maemo has been in gestation. And because they're not catering for nerds who gloss past the issues of fit & finish, will probably stay that way instead of the stuff I had to work through in Maemo.

Last edited by punto; 2011-02-11 at 18:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to punto For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org