Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Lappeenranta, Finland
Fifth release is now available at http://www2.lut.fi/~thietan1/quetoo/ as usual.

For this I optimized the RGB->YUY2 conversion a fair bit, and I'm now getting higher fps with it at 400x240 than with the XSP pixel doubling, so the XSP doubling has been removed.

Also, the game saving support was dropped in 0.5.0 upstream, but I've reimplemented it based on the quetoo 0.4.0 sources and it would appear to be working. Though I did notice the savegames don't appear to be compatible with any other quake2 builds (including quetoo 0.4.0). The game is now automagically saved when you quit, and should continue again from that point, when next launched. There's also a new delete button in the launcher, that can be used to clear the current save game.

Thanks for all the great work and time your putting into this, it has to be barr none, the best game I have played yet on the n800.

I just updated to the 5th release and it is even smoother and faster than it was, I even tried it in 800x480 (just to see what it was like) and it looked great, a bit slow on my n800(of course!) but very nice.

The only question I have is, why take away the option to choose your map from the launcher? I know you can still when launching it via xterm, but I really liked the ability to pick a level and just go from the launcher.

Saving is great, I tend to die a lot and the save is very bennificial..

So all in all, things just keep getting better and better, thanks again for making what has become the biggest time waster I have on the n800!

-John

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
I wonder how much faster it would run when the new firmware unlocks 400mhz! That's almost a 20% increase in speed!

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Lappeenranta, Finland
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post
The only question I have is, why take away the option to choose your map from the launcher? I know you can still when launching it via xterm, but I really liked the ability to pick a level and just go from the launcher.

Saving is great, I tend to die a lot and the save is very bennificial..
I thought maybe the map selection would not be needed anymore, now that saving works, but yeah, I do think it would be better to still have it, so I'll be putting it back for the next release. I seem to also have forgotten an important part of the savegame code, in that with the current release, when you die, the game just clears all data and restarts the map, and you lose all weapons and items, when I think it should load the current savegame (that is either the state when the game was launched, or the last time the map changed).

Originally Posted by torx View Post
I wonder how much faster it would run when the new firmware unlocks 400mhz! That's almost a 20% increase in speed!
I'm currently getting around 6-7 fps at 800x480, which is just a bit too low to really play the game at. But a 20% speed increase might just be enough to make the game playable even at that and I'm hoping OS2008 would have some optimizations to screen update stuff as well. Though perhaps I'm hoping for a bit much, but currently I'd already consider the game playable at 480x288, so I'd think atleast 560x336 should become usable.

I've also been trying to think of a good way to handle items in the game and as far as I can think of, there's really no way to handle everything with the amount of buttons the device has, so I've been thinking of adding an onscreen list of items and weapons, where they could be activated by clicking. I've been thinking of having it on the left side of the screen. There you'd have to use your left hand to select them and could not move simultaneously, but atleast I like to do all looking around at the right edge of the screen and having the list there, I think would interfere with that too much. But what do you think would be best?

Edit: I haven't really noticed this before, but are others having trouble moving and turning the camera at the same time? It's looking like as if the device would be having trouble detecting keypresses the same time as the touchscreen is being used, but I don't know why I would not have noticed this at all before, or if maybe I've just messed up some setting or other in my device.

Last edited by ZerionSeven; 2007-10-21 at 16:15.

Edit: I haven't really noticed this before, but are others having trouble moving and turning the camera at the same time? It's looking like as if the device would be having trouble detecting keypresses the same time as the touchscreen is being used, but I don't know why I would not have noticed this at all before, or if maybe I've just messed up some setting or other in my device.
I have not noticed this as a problem, I can move and turn the camera at the same time, I think I can anyway. At least I have not noticed anything I couldnt do..

I am glad your putting the map selection back on the launcher, sometimes I just wanna play a particular level and I only have a few minutes and there is nothing quick about launching it in xterm..

I've also been trying to think of a good way to handle items in the game and as far as I can think of, there's really no way to handle everything with the amount of buttons the device has, so I've been thinking of adding an onscreen list of items and weapons, where they could be activated by clicking. I've been thinking of having it on the left side of the screen. There you'd have to use your left hand to select them and could not move simultaneously, but atleast I like to do all looking around at the right edge of the screen and having the list there, I think would interfere with that too much. But what do you think would be best?
Yeah, the left side would be better, and if it isnt too hard to accomplish, make it selectable on and off, that way when I am using my BT keyboard, and dont need the list it isnt taking up space. Certainly it will be a welcome addition for example when (much like this weekend) I am sitting at the theater waiting for a movie (that I dont particularly want to see) to start and I am slicing and dicing my way through QuakeII I can access the really cool stuff.

On a side note, is there some reason there isnt a hand and a gun sticking out? I think there is a console command to turn it on (I would have to look for sure) but was it turned off on purpose (for example because the screen is so small)?

-John

Hi, I am trying to get Quetoo to work on my N800. I have the full version files, but can't seem to put it in the right folder, or which folder to point it too, and also the files that need to be in that folder. Can U tell me what files are needed? When I hit launch, it does nothing... Also when I point to a folder I notice there is an add or remove button on the left side???

Please help! Thanks!

Please insert an option for the menu to be on the left/right hand side of the screen for us lefties I dunno if it's because I'm left handed or not, but I'd rather have an on-screen menu on the right. Of course, a total 180-degree screen rotation would be the best thing, but it would take too much of your time I think!
Thanks for boosting the geek-factor of the N800

PS: Oh, and (yes I know I'm very demanding!) is there a way of turning off the clicks generated when the touchscreen generates an event? Using the touchscreen and buttons simultaenously (which, BTW, works very well on my unit) sends it on a clicking frenzy which takes some of the effect away from the game.

Last edited by convulted; 2007-11-13 at 08:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to convulted For This Useful Post:
The ticking sounds can be fixed as detailed below (allow myself to introduce myself ;P )

Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
The most important tweak was to go into maemo control panel and under sounds, Disable the Key sounds.

You notice how buttons make a noise when pressed as 'feedback'... well in the game when you keep a key held down and move the stylus its like re-registering the key event, causing a barrage of sound interruptions... as if only one input (button or touchscreen) allowed at a time. By disabling the key sound its probably just avoiding cpu burden/interrupting to play that sound... which may be helping responsiveness but if for anything it just helps me keep my sanity. The hardware limitation (hack?) is probably still there... it just doesnt burden machine to 'notify' you falsely about it being a 'new' button press 10 times a second... when you actually never released it.

2008 OS is out! can someone test this port on it? thx!

Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
2008 OS is out! can someone test this port on it? thx!
I won't be able to get a round tuit until this weekend.
Currently reinstalling a slew of apps on my N800-mit-OS2008.