Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Malaysia
also, when there is no ctrl+shift+r on the conversations app active, the portrait keyboard that appears is half the screen full only.

But when the ctrl+shift+r is activated, the vkb goes all the way up until the status menu...

so far, both are tolerable but maybe i'd prefer the fuller one... good thing is, we can have a bigger text layout to see what we typed but the other half-screened one is good to see the previous chat messages.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dark_Angel85 For This Useful Post:
Regarding landscape QWERTY and portrait T9...

Originally Posted by realsportcars View Post
Yes...it will be done in future...
Only as a selectable option right? I can't stand T9-style input

The Following User Says Thank You to dannycamps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 401 | Thanked: 724 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by dannycamps View Post
Regarding landscape QWERTY and portrait T9...

Only as a selectable option right? I can't stand T9-style input
Sure! only as option In particular I think that I will save the last used kb in portrait and in landscape

also, when there is no ctrl+shift+r on the conversations app active, the portrait keyboard that appears is half the screen full only.

But when the ctrl+shift+r is activated, the vkb goes all the way up until the status menu...
This is due to hildon, I don't know if I can manage this

so far, both are tolerable but maybe i'd prefer the fuller one... good thing is, we can have a bigger text layout to see what we typed but the other half-screened one is good to see the previous chat messages.
I really don't want do this: I have to discriminate between "chats app" (not only "conversation win" but all custom app), a way to retrive the last message and a lot of other problem.

Donate link

Last edited by realsportcars; 2011-01-30 at 10:41.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to realsportcars For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by realsportcars View Post
Sure! only as option In particular I think that I will save the last used kb in portrait and in landscape
If possible, I recommend you save these values in gconf (this is how Hildon remembers what desktop you were last on when you reboot, too, for instance), and quite a lot of apps store their settings through gconf.

Alternatively, a simple file in the same folder as the rest of the vkb's data would work too.

Also, what you could do is use three fields/variables/gconf-entries/lines-in-a-.conf-file etc:
1. Lock
2. Landscape
3. Portrait

If you make it use integers or a name string instead of a boolean for 2 and 3, it'll be more scalable to other 'types' of keyboard layouts - IE, if someone writes that swirling/circle input method as an add-on to your vkb and submits it to you as a patch or something, those variables no longer have to be reworked.

And then the lock variable can be a boolean, and it would be settable in the settings somewhere (toggle/radio button), that prevents rewrites of 2 and 3. That way, you can set the default so that even if you normally like the qwerty, but for some situation chose to use alphanum one day, and close out of the keyboard without switching back, it'll first check if you have the lock variable set to true, and if you do, it'll leave your 2 and 3 variables alone, but it'll edit them of lock is set to false. And in the settings, it can simply be called "Lock Default Keyboard" or something.

But it's up to you. Ultimately, most people will be just fine without this extra locking (myself included) - it just gives an extra layer of soft cushy convenience for people.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Perhaps I solved the problem about losed commit, both in "windows" and in microB. I did several attempts without lose a single word and I hope that this is not only a case...

This afternoon I will do other test and if all works fine I will publish a new version

@Mentalist: due to fastsms is Qt based I can't use gconf, but Qt implements other usefull things for this kind of work...but I agree with you in all the rest of your post

Donate link

I've just uploaded a new version for both fastsmsevo (0.1-7) and fastsms (0.5-4). They will be available soon in devel

This new version should not lose text and works fine also in microB.
PS I can't test twitter apps because I haven't an account...Please let me know if now they are ok

EDIT: Remember reboot after install

Donate link

Last edited by realsportcars; 2011-01-31 at 22:11.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
WORKS.

The very first opening of the keyboard after boot-up wouldn't let me click on the input box itself to change cursor position, but rotating fixed that.

Yet another major hurdle to usability bites the dust.

- Edit -

Also just tested in X-Term. Works no matter where you click. No voodoo necessary.

P.S. This edit posted from N900's MicroB in portrait mode.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-01-31 at 23:12. Reason: More results

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
WORKS.

The very first opening of the keyboard after boot-up wouldn't let me click on the input box itself to change cursor position, but rotating fixed that.

Yet another major hurdle to usability bites the dust.

- Edit -

Also just tested in X-Term. Works no matter where you click. No voodoo necessary.

P.S. This edit posted from N900's MicroB in portrait mode.
So Good

This was really hard to fix because I can't use debug...but I really hope that it is ok.
I used vkb all the day without a single lose commit...If nobody will post errors about this I will move to other bugs in next days...

Donate link

The Following User Says Thank You to realsportcars For This Useful Post:
Been using it quite a lot now especially t9.

Just a few bugs

fastsmsevo doesnt register new words ive put into fast sms

would the t9 dictonary be able to change the order in which words are displayed depending on frequency used similar to usual t9?

a send button in the vkb would be good because aftr writing a message in t9 portrait you have to press off, vkb disappears, screen flips. vkb reappears then dissappears n then you can press send.

or another way to improve speed would be for the portrait vkb to not flip hildon, so it stayed portrait.

Hope this helps

The Following User Says Thank You to kylepsp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kylepsp View Post
Been using it quite a lot now especially t9.

Just a few bugs

fastsmsevo doesnt register new words ive put into fast sms
I think you are right...now that the "main" problem is fixed I will investigate also on this.

would the t9 dictonary be able to change the order in which words are displayed depending on frequency used similar to usual t9?
No, in future perhaps I can add something to change order, but atm not. Which languages are you using?

a send button in the vkb would be good because after writing a message in t9 portrait you have to press off, vkb disappears, screen flips. vkb reappears then disappears n then you can press send.
I agree with you but vkb is not used only in "conversation" so a "send" button had no sense in other window.

or another way to improve speed would be for the portrait vkb to not flip hildon, so it stayed portrait.
Sorry, but this is impossible. I have to flip all hildon to flip vkb. This is a workaround to have portrait vkb also where portrait is not supported. By the way I will look for something to speed up the process

Hope this helps
Absolutely yes! Thank you!!!

Donate link

The Following User Says Thank You to realsportcars For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, portrait, wikkid