Posts: 519 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Malaysia
just asking... really interested here..

I have titan's kernel installed, OC'ed to 250 1000Mhz LV.

I saw in one of the posts that no OC?

what are the requirements EXACTLY besides the kernel? thanks

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Dark_Angel85 View Post
just asking... really interested here..

I have titan's kernel installed, OC'ed to 250 1000Mhz LV.

I saw in one of the posts that no OC?

what are the requirements EXACTLY besides the kernel? thanks
You need a kernel with h-e-n hostmode enabled. You need h-e-n GUI

You need a pile of spare N900, as OC will wear your CPU, no matter if hostmode or not.
Your CPU is like a car engine. It's designed to last 250.000km on normal driving. If you drive your car at limit all the time then european cars will only last 100.000km, US cars will explode after 100km :-P (here your N900 @ 600MHz(!) is like EU car). If you mix the fuel with nitromethane and go with RPM of engine way beyond what's been considered safe by manufacturer, then you may achieve exceptional speeds, but you know your car engine wears out and won't last very long. N900 CPU on OC will start to show sporadic errors, after weeks, or months of operation at actual CPU clock @OC, and it WILL NOT HEAL. A worn CPU is a worn CPU.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
You need a kernel with h-e-n hostmode enabled. You need h-e-n GUI

You need a pile of spare N900, as OC will wear your CPU, no matter if hostmode or not.
Your CPU is like a car engine. It's designed to last 250.000km on normal driving. If you drive your car at limit all the time then european cars will only last 100.000km, US cars will explode after 100km :-P (here your N900 @ 600MHz(!) is like EU car). If you mix the fuel with nitromethane and go with RPM of engine way beyond what's been considered safe by manufacturer, then you may achieve exceptional speeds, but you know your car engine wears out and won't last very long. N900 CPU on OC will start to show sporadic errors, after weeks, or months of operation at actual CPU clock @OC, and it WILL NOT HEAL. A worn CPU is a worn CPU.

/j
Thanks for the advice about OC.. really appreciate it..

I was thinking about just compatible kernels... so is titan's kernel one that has hen hostmode enabled? If so, then I just download the GUI right?

The Following User Says Thank You to Dark_Angel85 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Dark_Angel85: Instead of just saying thanks, press the "Thanks!" button under his post. Or do both. But the thanks system is here for a reason, to make people's helpfulness be at least somewhat vaguely apparent based on how many times they were thanked.

As for kernels - h-e-n GUI is in devel only, last I checked. The power kernel in devel is hostmode enabled. So the kernel you need for hostmode is in the same repo you have to have enabled to download h-e-n GUI in the first place. (The choices of kernel are basically stock or power. Stock doesn't have it enabled, power does. Be aware that the uboot packages in devel flash the entire kernel, so if you want uboot, install power kernel first [so you have it installed and apt-get doesn't complain about it being a missing dependency for kernel power settings], then MohammadAG's uboot for kernel power package.)

Joerg: You say that, yet many people have been overclocking for months, and I have seen no report on TMO of CPU degradation yet. If you know otherwise though, feel free to point me to the relevant threads/posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
@Dark_Angel85
You should probably ask from titan who made that kernel. Not from devels of USB hostmode. App just checks if kernel has appropriate modules and if not then downloads and installs kernel power.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
@Mentalist Traceur
Thanks for the advice (clicked thanks btw). Really informative. I might try it and see what happens.

@slender
I'll definitely ask.... thanks (clicked thanks too )

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dark_Angel85 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dark_Angel85 View Post
Thanks for the advice about OC.. really appreciate it..
You should not really appreciate it, since it is total nonsense, as the experience of thousands of user who overclock N900 (and many more who overclock similar devices with the same CPU shows).
Still, not even one device damaged by overclocking is known.

On the other hand, you should be very wary of USB host mode. The USB connector is known to be very problematic, so the extra connections and disconnections are sure to reduce you device's useful life span. And when you go to Nokia service with the broken USB connection, they will fix it (or not, as they please).

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
On the other hand, you should be very wary of USB host mode. The USB connector is known to be very problematic, so the extra connections and disconnections are sure to reduce you device's useful life span. And when you go to Nokia service with the broken USB connection, they will fix it (or not, as they please).
This is only applicable if the device in question suffers from the MicroUSB connector problem.

My device gets plugged in-out several times (>10) per day, and its connector has survived for months.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
This is only applicable if the device in question suffers from the MicroUSB connector problem.
Do you have a way to tell if a device "suffers from the MicroUSB connector problem", other than one day disconnecting and having the USB socket coming out of the N900?

All we have is guesswork: perhaps it was a design problem that was fixed in some stage. Perhaps is was a manufacturing problem specific to some batches. Perhaps it is a random manufacturing problem. Perhaps all devices are identical and the problem happens due to force/angle used to connect/disconnect.

The only thing we do know is that this problem is very common, and that Nokia does not always fix this problem. And we also know that many devices come out of warranty about now.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
do not hijack this thread!

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, detection, h-e-n, hostmode, speed, usb host