Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Paris, Fr
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
The secondary 'track bearing' feature sounds gnarly at best.
Instantaneous bearing is probably the way I should have put it.
This still needs some sort of filter (user selectable) maybe between 1 and 10 seconds?
Real life example:
Well, your "instantaneous bearing" thing matches my first feature
BTW I was still not clear enough for the second one : by "statistical computation", I meant it is not intended to be used during runtime but by the "convert" feature of gpsrecorder.

Your example does not seems to be a good one because if I understand it correctly, your pilot needs a vector from current position to a given known position (the field camp) to align heli's compass to the resulting vector.
So we definitely are talking about a third feature here !
Edit : Is it a feature request ?

Using accelerometer data will not make the bearing value really more accurate. I also have an example
A while ago, TomTom (a well-known GPS devices manufacturer for cars/motorbikes) used to integrate an accelerometer to make current position more accurate when driver entering into a tunnel for example.
After selling about 2/3 different models (can't remember exactly) with accelerometer, they removed it from next models partly because it was clearly not accurate at all and actually was even worse in a lot of situations.
My example tends to demonstrate that adding blind data to another blind data still gives blind data

But still, just to confirm : I will probably implement realtime bearing computation with some kind of settings to let user choose how much data he wants to use for computation. No reason not to do it. You can also propose a patch if you want to

Last edited by polyvertex; 2010-11-05 at 11:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to polyvertex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ torino - italia
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
Check the threads about the PR1.3 update.
thanks but the link send to:

vBulletin Message
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Originally Posted by polyvertex View Post
The answer :
I think there is a way to get Cell-info even when gps is fixed from dbus. (?)
See this.

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.phone.net /com/nokia/phone/net Phone.Net.get_registration_status

Last edited by zimon; 2010-11-06 at 12:20.

Thanks a lot for sharing this information. I have been looking for this from so long.

Last edited by kattyjames111; 2013-10-01 at 07:12.

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Singapore
Hi!

Any chance that the functionality outlined in this thread about marathon running could be incorporated into GPS Recorder, or am I better off to build my own thing and using this source code as a starting point?

Thx,

/Magnus
MobiTifo (which was formerly known as QSportsEvent) - Sports leagues tracking (mainly football).

Accidentally installed the next extras-dev version
and this app just gets better looking everytime.
Very nice work - version 1.2.22

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by magnuslu View Post
Any chance that the functionality outlined in this thread about marathon running could be incorporated into GPS Recorder, or am I better off to build my own thing and using this source code as a starting point?
Nope, none of the listed features, sorry.
But feel free to make a fork

Be careful when doing HTTP POST with the Qt library (HTTP GET is OK), it can become very (very very) annoying, especially when HTTP authentication is required.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
I think there is a way to get Cell-info even when gps is fixed from dbus. (?)
See this.

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.phone.net /com/nokia/phone/net Phone.Net.get_registration_status
And to get signal strength:
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=comp.nokia.phone.net /com/nokia/phone/net Phone.Net.get_signal_strength

Would be nice to get those GSM/WCDMA cell IDs and strengths to the XML file also along with GPS-data. Later one could make a database of locations related to cell IDs.̈́

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
And to get signal strength:
dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=comp.nokia.phone.net /com/nokia/phone/net Phone.Net.get_signal_strength

Would be nice to get those GSM/WCDMA cell IDs and strengths to the XML file also along with GPS-data. Later one could make a database of locations related to cell IDs.̈́
Cell IDs will be optionally exportable to GPX and KML files (already in progress), but without signal strength values.

Signal strength is a very volatile value and is not so much related to geolocation. Of course one can argue this is not totally true because with lot of samples of signal strength along a track, we can attempt to guess cell towers position but this is not the purpose of gpsrecorder and I don't want it to become a bloatware (it is already one in some way).

Also, be aware that there is already some cell-tower-info-collecting softwares out there, I mean embedded softwares and web platforms as well. So if building a cell towers database is what you want, be sure somebody does not already have done it for you in the area of interest

The Following User Says Thank You to polyvertex For This Useful Post:
OK, I see you point, but could be optional to record also that signal strength.
Who knows what we will able to do with that data after there is enough of it collected.