Active Topics

Please Help!

I am trying to encode subtitles for foregin languages (European) as guided here http://blog.adl.pl/playing-divxxvid-...es-on-n900/437

1st problem is when I open x terminal and enter /home/user/.mplayer/config i get PERMISSION DENIED message

2nd problem, I cant find symbol " equal = " and " >> "

can someone please help me, or tell me what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by ivanpipi View Post
1st problem is when I open x terminal and enter /home/user/.mplayer/config i get PERMISSION DENIED message
Let's start with this one. Under Linux (the N900 runs Linux), you can declare files as being executable. If a file /bin/test is executable, then you can run it using

Code:
/bin/test
However, the mplayer config file is not executable, hence the error message. The page you pointed at requires you to use the command "echo" to add a line to the config file:
Code:
echo "subfont-encoding=windows-1250" >> /home/user/.mplayer/config
... is all you need to do. I believe the author of that site repeated the command a second time for clarity. Now, on to your second question...

Originally Posted by ivanpipi View Post
2nd problem, I cant find symbol " equal = " and " >> "
You do not state what keymap you are using (that is to say, where you bought your phone). If you're using the UK one, which is the one I've got, then the keys are as follows:

" : Fn (blue arrow) + N
= : Fn + ,
> : Fn + Sym (key above Fn), then click the relevant key

Note that ">>" is in fact ">" followed by another ">".

HTH

Originally Posted by convulted View Post
Let's start with this one. Under Linux (the N900 runs Linux), you can declare files as being executable. If a file /bin/test is executable, then you can run it using

Code:
/bin/test
However, the mplayer config file is not executable, hence the error message. The page you pointed at requires you to use the command "echo" to add a line to the config file:
Code:
echo "subfont-encoding=windows-1250" >> /home/user/.mplayer/config
... is all you need to do. I believe the author of that site repeated the command a second time for clarity. Now, on to your second question...

You do not state what keymap you are using (that is to say, where you bought your phone). If you're using the UK one, which is the one I've got, then the keys are as follows:

" : Fn (blue arrow) + N
= : Fn + ,
> : Fn + Sym (key above Fn), then click the relevant key

Note that ">>" is in fact ">" followed by another ">".

HTH
I only made it with " and = but I had to change text input under settings. when hardware keyboard layout is set on english then
= : Fn + è
when it is on other language then i cant even find it.

but I can manage that somehow,but I still cant find ">" symbol. I tried Fn + Sym and tried every key but no sucess.

btw thanks for fast reply

Hmmm, that's strange. On my device, ">" is the second key on the top row when I press Fn+Sym.